Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Refrigeration/aircon mechanics questions

Refrigeration/aircon mechanics questions

Old Feb 12th 2006, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of
Default Refrigeration/aircon mechanics questions

We are hoping to be in perth before the end of the year, hubby is refrigeration air con mechanic. I have seen alot of threads about people having problems getting licences to work ie electricians, builders etc. Just wondered if anybody has had or knows of anybody that has had problems in refrigeration air conditioning? Also be interested to hear about experiences of gas fitters/plumbers, hubby is HVAC engineer in UK and corgi registered. thanks, Nicky x
Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:02 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Refrigeration/aircon mechanics questions

Originally Posted by leechy100
We are hoping to be in perth before the end of the year, hubby is refrigeration air con mechanic. I have seen alot of threads about people having problems getting licences to work ie electricians, builders etc. Just wondered if anybody has had or knows of anybody that has had problems in refrigeration air conditioning? Also be interested to hear about experiences of gas fitters/plumbers, hubby is HVAC engineer in UK and corgi registered. thanks, Nicky x
hiya weve not had any problems had some interviews lined up before we came and he got the first one not looked into the gas side of things yet but theres not much gas here anyway i think it depends on wich state you go to though good luck
Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kelli28
hiya weve not had any problems had some interviews lined up before we came and he got the first one not looked into the gas side of things yet but theres not much gas here anyway i think it depends on wich state you go to though good luck

Thanks for your reply, did he require a licence to work? like electricians etc. Reassuring that you found work easily, we are heading for perth.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Greigrob is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by leechy100
Thanks for your reply, did he require a licence to work? like electricians etc. Reassuring that you found work easily, we are heading for perth.
Hi Nicky

My other half is a refrigeration mechanic in Brisbane and he did not have any problems initially gaining employment without licenses. Unfortunately the bigger the company the bigger the requirement for them. He now works for one of the bigger companies in Brisbane and they needed all the licenses before they would offer him the job.
If you need anymore info send me a PM
All the luck
Angie and Greig
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

bobstevens is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going to Brisbane soon, I also am a Air Conditioning Engineer, It's a bit like over here, everyone should pas their City and Guilds in safe handing of refrigerants, but I would guess 90% havent. If you want to do everyhting properly then you need to get intouch witht he TRA, then when you get there you have to do an electrical exam/course. then a CFC Course/exam. These can take 6 months !! Or find work with someone who's not so bothered about them or will let him work under his number. How often has your hubbie been asked for his Corgi card ?
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Greigrob is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bobstevens
I am going to Brisbane soon, I also am a Air Conditioning Engineer, It's a bit like over here, everyone should pas their City and Guilds in safe handing of refrigerants, but I would guess 90% havent. If you want to do everyhting properly then you need to get intouch witht he TRA, then when you get there you have to do an electrical exam/course. then a CFC Course/exam. These can take 6 months !! Or find work with someone who's not so bothered about them or will let him work under his number. How often has your hubbie been asked for his Corgi card ?
If you have a trade certificate there is no CFC course exam, you pay $100 and they send out a licence. As for the electrical you do a CPR course, pay $50 to get a restricted electrical permit and then have a year to have your current qualifications assessed and then only in some cases have to take a course/exam. If you get it sorted as soon as you get here you can have it all done in about 3 months. I have only been here just over 4 months and have it all pretty much taken care of, bearing in mind that i didnt start applying for stuff until we had been here for over a month!!.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:13 am
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greigrob
If you have a trade certificate there is no CFC course exam, you pay $100 and they send out a licence. As for the electrical you do a CPR course, pay $50 to get a restricted electrical permit and then have a year to have your current qualifications assessed and then only in some cases have to take a course/exam. If you get it sorted as soon as you get here you can have it all done in about 3 months. I have only been here just over 4 months and have it all pretty much taken care of, bearing in mind that i didnt start applying for stuff until we had been here for over a month!!.
When you say if you have a trade certificate, do you mean a UK City & Guilds or equivalent qualification? or an Australian qualification?
CPR as in first aid?
who do you get to asses your qualifications as i have read various things online that you can get recognition of prior learning to save going back to school to learn the job you already know.
sorry for all the questions but just seen this thread
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:20 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lee Family
When you say if you have a trade certificate, do you mean a UK City & Guilds or equivalent qualification? or an Australian qualification?
CPR as in first aid?
who do you get to asses your qualifications as i have read various things online that you can get recognition of prior learning to save going back to school to learn the job you already know.
sorry for all the questions but just seen this thread
trade certificate/papers is what you get back from the artc/tra once your here. you give them all the info you used for the tra before you came plus a few hundred $$$ they then assess you again and send you back your austrailian reconigsed trade certificate. the cpr course (yes as in first aid)is just a one day course real easy lots of places that run them
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:32 am
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

trade certificate/papers is what you get back from the artc/tra once your here. you give them all the info you used for the tra before you came plus a few hundred $$$ they then assess you again and send you back your austrailian reconigsed trade certificate. the cpr course (yes as in first aid)is just a one day course real easy lots of places that run them
questions questions........
Does that mean that as long as i pass the TRA assessment i just send all the stuff off again and i should get the certificate, no more hoops to jump through just a fee to pay wonder why they cant send the certificate when you are first assessed?

how many licences do you need for refrigeration then? just the 1? or 1 for refrigeration 1 for restricted electrical and 1 for CFC handling?
thanks for answering

Jon
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Lee Family
questions questions........
Does that mean that as long as i pass the TRA assessment i just send all the stuff off again and i should get the certificate, no more hoops to jump through just a fee to pay wonder why they cant send the certificate when you are first assessed?

how many licences do you need for refrigeration then? just the 1? or 1 for refrigeration 1 for restricted electrical and 1 for CFC handling?
thanks for answering

Jon
http://www.arctick.org/index.php

http://www.dir.qld.gov.au/electrical...ning/licences/

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...oroverseas.htm

hope these help you a bit more than i can
but you need artc first then cpr, restricted electrical, and the refrigeration the cpr you can do while waiting for the artc to come back
Old Feb 14th 2006, 9:16 am
Legal immigrant

http://www.arctick.org/index.php

http://www.dir.qld.gov.au/electrical...ning/licences/

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...oroverseas.htm

hope these help you a bit more than i can
but you need artc first then cpr, restricted electrical, and the refrigeration the cpr you can do while waiting for the artc to come back
Excellent, thank you
Old Feb 15th 2006, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all your replies, as ever a fantastic source of info, Nicky
Old Apr 16th 2006, 8:42 pm
Yeah!! I Know...

mikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nice

Hi Guys

I'm currently serving in the RAF as an Aircraft Engineering Technician. I'm intending to move to Oz with my family in the next two years. Before I leave the RAF I plan to use my resettlement training entitlement to retrain in Air Con/Refridgeration. I also have qualifications in CAD that I hope to be able to utilise.

Can any of you tell me what I need to do to not only re-train to get into this field, but also any other qualifications I need to achieve to allow me to work in this job in Oz?

Also which area is best to work in, automotive, industrial or residential?

I apologize, but I didn't fully understand everything previously mentioned in this thread.

Cheers

Mikey

Last edited by mikey73; Apr 16th 2006 at 8:45 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

bobstevens is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mikey

Firstly, OMG the Ozzie's are the worst at communication, there is plenty of work over there BUT what ever qualification you have here will not count for jack over there, best thing is to try to get in under CAD, then if you want to do Air cond, train over here, you can do you 2078 on your resettlement program to get you the basics. Also the TRA will need to see proof of 6 years working in Air con !!!! :scared:
Old Apr 16th 2006, 10:41 pm
Legal immigrant

Originally Posted by bobstevens
Hi Mikey

Firstly, OMG the Ozzie's are the worst at communication, there is plenty of work over there BUT what ever qualification you have here will not count for jack over there, best thing is to try to get in under CAD, then if you want to do Air cond, train over here, you can do you 2078 on your resettlement program to get you the basics. Also the TRA will need to see proof of 6 years working in Air con !!!! :scared:
Isnt it 6 years if you have no qualifications? and 12-18months if you do?

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.