Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Refrigeration/aircon mechanics questions

Refrigeration/aircon mechanics questions

Old Apr 16th 2006, 11:08 pm
Living in the sun

connollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to beholdconnollys.home is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Refrigeration/aircon mechanics questions

Originally Posted by kelli28
http://www.arctick.org/index.php

http://www.dir.qld.gov.au/electrical...ning/licences/

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...oroverseas.htm

hope these help you a bit more than i can
but you need artc first then cpr, restricted electrical, and the refrigeration the cpr you can do while waiting for the artc to come back

Hi anyone know if this applies to transport refrigeration (ie Carrier/Thermo King kit)I have followed the links kindly supplied by kelli28 but it looks like it is for auto air con

Martin
Old Apr 16th 2006, 11:18 pm
Yeah!! I Know...

mikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nice

Originally Posted by bobstevens
Hi Mikey

Firstly, OMG the Ozzie's are the worst at communication, there is plenty of work over there BUT what ever qualification you have here will not count for jack over there, best thing is to try to get in under CAD, then if you want to do Air cond, train over here, you can do you 2078 on your resettlement program to get you the basics. Also the TRA will need to see proof of 6 years working in Air con !!!! :scared:

Thanks you guys.

My only way of getting into Oz is by using my Aircraft qualifications. Although I would like to get into Air Con it concerns me that I wouldn't have the time to do the training while I'm working full time on aircraft.

What is 2078 by the way, is that a City & Guilds qualification?

Also if I got in using my aircraft quals and then decided to go ahead with air con work do I have to have a TRA done for air con as well before anyone would employ me?

Can you guys list everything I need to do here first that will at least give me a head start if additional training is required over there.

Cheers

Mikey
Old Apr 16th 2006, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

bobstevens is an unknown quantity at this point

No the TRA said you need 6 years experience for them to give you a TRA certificate and THEN when you get there it counts for nothing, NOTHING, you have to retrain and get re-qualified, strange when Refrigeration Engineers is one of the top jobs they let you in for,

The only chance you have is to either get a company to sponsor you under 457 visa , which mean you would then work under their Licence, or get PR as a Refrigeration Engineer which the TRA need 6 years experience for then get a job with a company that will help you get your Licence and work under a temporary licence

I was offered several jobs under the 457 Visa, but when it came to it they all changed their mind or never returned calls/emails.

General in my experience they are about 10 years behind us in the communication side.

i am sure they will be loads of people come on and say otherwise but I have had really bad experiences
Old Apr 18th 2006, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

leewilson is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going to Brisbane soon, I also am a Air Conditioning Engineer, It's a bit like over here, everyone should pas their City and Guilds in safe handing of refrigerants, but I would guess 90% havent. If you want to do everyhting properly then you need to get intouch witht he TRA, then when you get there you have to do an electrical exam/course. then a CFC Course/exam. These can take 6 months !! Or find work with someone who's not so bothered about them or will let him work under his number. How often has your hubbie been asked for his Corgi card ?
have you managed to get to brisbane yet? I am just starting to fill out TRA application.Refrigeration engineer.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Does anyone know if there is a great deal of work in Perth for refrigeration engineer and what is the average salary.
Cheers Lee
Old Apr 18th 2006, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

No Not got there yet. I have a good job offer from a BIG National company, who then changed their minds and wanted to send me to Adelaide instead, but we didn't want to go there, the Air con industry over he is full of cowboys, and you can earn good money doing crap job ( not me ) but in Oz they seem to be so un business like, I know thats what make the place seem so appealing but, it just seem no one like to make decisions, So now I'm going to do the PR route, but then when I get out there I might do something else, because it seem full of red tape and can take months before you can work. I know people will come on say different things but for me it's to full of red tape to make the already rouge ride, rougher
Old Apr 20th 2006, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

No Not got there yet. I have a good job offer from a BIG National company, who then changed their minds and wanted to send me to Adelaide instead, but we didn't want to go there, the Air con industry over he is full of cowboys, and you can earn good money doing crap job ( not me ) but in Oz they seem to be so un business like, I know thats what make the place seem so appealing but, it just seem no one like to make decisions, So now I'm going to do the PR route, but then when I get out there I might do something else, because it seem full of red tape and can take months before you can work. I know people will come on say different things but for me it's to full of red tape to make the already rouge ride, rougher
bob what does PR mean i know this may sound stupid and who was the large company and were they prepared to let you work without correct tickets?
cheers lee
Old Apr 20th 2006, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by leewilson
bob what does PR mean i know this may sound stupid and who was the large company and were they prepared to let you work without correct tickets?
cheers lee

PR = Permanent Residence. and they can all let you work under their Tickets, for a temporary period.

Listen over here I guess 90% of Air con engineers dont have a 2078 ticket or a 16th Edition, ( I have ) but they all work and just keep on working, ask yourself this, when have you ever asked to see the VAT certificate of a work that you pay an invoice to ??? never. Over here we just seem to brush over the cracks, we are after all a nation of small business, however I get the impression they are not like that in OZ. or maybe they are and every is over dramatizing about thing.

If I go out there on a 457 visa, which mean if my employer sacks me I have 28 day to find another job or HAVE to go home. ask yourself this, who would know ?????

If you are someone who wants all the boxes ticked, then you will have to get retrained over there, but from what i understand our tickets are harder to get then there's.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

chris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud of

Hi, i'm just filling out my tra for a/c, fridge engineer, how are you finding it, it's bloody well confusin! Where are you hoping to go, i'm looking at the goldcoast.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chris96
Hi, i'm just filling out my tra for a/c, fridge engineer, how are you finding it, it's bloody well confusin! Where are you hoping to go, i'm looking at the goldcoast.
i am at the same stage mate email me at [email protected] and we can compare.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 7:36 pm
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

i am at the same stage mate email me at [email protected] and we can compare.
Hi Lee, it may be worthwhile removing your email address or you could end up with loads of spam appearing in you inbox, its better to send a private message with that sort of stuff in it

Jon
Old Apr 21st 2006, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

Unhappy Re: Refrigeration/aircon mechanics questions

Originally Posted by Lee Family
Hi Lee, it may be worthwhile removing your email address or you could end up with loads of spam appearing in you inbox, its better to send a private message with that sort of stuff in it

Jon
shi?? how do i do that bloody hell!!
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 1:03 am
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

shi?? how do i do that bloody hell!!
I think you can only edit your posts upto 30 mins after making it, probably need to contact a moderator and ask them to remove it for you.

Jon
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 11:10 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

No the TRA said you need 6 years experience for them to give you a TRA certificate and THEN when you get there it counts for nothing, NOTHING, you have to retrain and get re-qualified, strange when Refrigeration Engineers is one of the top jobs they let you in for,

The only chance you have is to either get a company to sponsor you under 457 visa , which mean you would then work under their Licence, or get PR as a Refrigeration Engineer which the TRA need 6 years experience for then get a job with a company that will help you get your Licence and work under a temporary licence

I was offered several jobs under the 457 Visa, but when it came to it they all changed their mind or never returned calls/emails.

General in my experience they are about 10 years behind us in the communication side.

i am sure they will be loads of people come on and say otherwise but I have had really bad experiences
the tra certificate that you get for migration purposes means nothing but when you get here and give a different desk at the tra all the documents supplied for that then you get a australian reconigesed trade cert (artc) with this you can get your refrigeration licence and restricted electrical permit
theres plenty of companys who wil take you on before they come through but may write something in your contract that you have to have them within 6months or so but we are in queensland and one of our decisions to come here rather than perth was that at the time there seemed to be a few people returning to the uk from perth because of problems with licences
have a look on www.careerone.com.au for work
Old Apr 27th 2006, 1:41 pm
Yeah!! I Know...

mikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nicemikey73 is just really nice

Cheers Bob