Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling House Before Visa

Selling House Before Visa

Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold
Default Selling House Before Visa

I once replied to a thread on this site stating that i thought the notion of selling house before visa was both mad ( just in case u didnt get it) and may incur bad luck. I can tell you now i have changed my mind. Got our visa 4 weeks ago and there is nothing more frustrating than having yuor visa and having a house to sell.SO i say to anyone who is waiting to sell till they get thier visa DONT WAIT. Get it on the market and sell it as soon as possible. Iam sure most men can put up with the mother in law for a few weeks
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:27 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling House Before Visa

Thanks for posting this. We decided to go the mad route and put ours on the market straight away at the start of the process. We have now accepted an offer on our house and will probably have to rent until we get the visa. Scary feeling but very freeing. After all, it's only bricks and mortar and we can always buy another house if, God forbid,we don't get the visa and if we do - we'll be off straight away...

Thanks again

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by raven
I once replied to a thread on this site stating that i thought the notion of selling house before visa was both mad ( just in case u didnt get it) and may incur bad luck. I can tell you now i have changed my mind. Got our visa 4 weeks ago and there is nothing more frustrating than having yuor visa and having a house to sell.SO i say to anyone who is waiting to sell till they get thier visa DONT WAIT. Get it on the market and sell it as soon as possible. Iam sure most men can put up with the mother in law for a few weeks
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

i couldnt agree more...wish id put mine up before visa..but as you say theres always the 'what if..'

sat here now..with bloody big for sale board stuck in the garden..one viewing and that didnt even come through the EA!!!

only got till oct to get to oz and fulfill the two year living requirements.. :scared:
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:42 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

How 'mad' this would be would surely depend upon your circumstances - we are just at the start of our skills assessment so the earliest we could hope to get our visa would be somthing like this time (June/July ish) next year - but we intend to put our house on the market at the start of next year.
To be honest we would probably be putting the house on the market straight away if it was ready to sell but still doing the diy!

For us this is definitley not mad - we are at a stage in our lives when we are ready to do something else - broaden our horizons and try a different lifestyle so even if we don't get our australian visa we will still be looking for somewhere else to go to.

I think that my point is (getting there eventually ) that selling our house is not dependant on getting our visa. If we were only selling to move to australia then it would be a risk to sell before - but as we feel it is time to sell anyway it makes much more sense to sell early (and rent in the meantime) so that we can move when we are ready - rather than potentially waiting around for the house to sell.

Hope that makes sense
Tiggs
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
How 'mad' this would be would surely depend upon your circumstances - we are just at the start of our skills assessment so the earliest we could hope to get our visa would be somthing like this time (June/July ish) next year - but we intend to put our house on the market at the start of next year.
To be honest we would probably be putting the house on the market straight away if it was ready to sell but still doing the diy!

For us this is definitley not mad - we are at a stage in our lives when we are ready to do something else - broaden our horizons and try a different lifestyle so even if we don't get our australian visa we will still be looking for somewhere else to go to.

I think that my point is (getting there eventually ) that selling our house is not dependant on getting our visa. If we were only selling to move to australia then it would be a risk to sell before - but as we feel it is time to sell anyway it makes much more sense to sell early (and rent in the meantime) so that we can move when we are ready - rather than potentially waiting around for the house to sell.

Hope that makes sense
Tiggs
totally agree early next year would be a good time
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

majortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nicemajortom is just really nice

Wish we had put the house on the market before getting the visa, Im now stuck in England and my Wife and daughter have been in OZ for 14 weeks.

We went down the employer sponsorship route, and as soon as the visa's came through my wife had to take up her post.

Good news is that I now have a first time buyer after 12 weeks and 10 viewers later, hopefully looking at 6-8 weeks.

Good luck to all waiting for that "SOLD" sign to go up
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

conat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We only just sent off our visa app last week and our house is going on the market in 2 weeks, they are selling quite quickly where we are, so we will be homeless for about two months.

We were going to sell the house this year anyway so if the unmentionable should happen :scared: we will buy another, and it gives us time to stay between our elderly parents before we leave, to be honest I cant wait to get rid of the place as I am forever running around with a paint brush touching up the kids skid marks they make from their bikes on the walls.

Suits us quite well, but maybe not so good for others who's in laws may be too scary

Hope you dont have to wait too long to start your new life

good luck
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:33 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

totally agree early next year would be a good time
hoping to catch that 'just after christmas' boost that the housing market usually gets.

I have been keeping an eye on what is selling locally at the mo and as far as i can see the best time to sell this year up to now seems to have been around February when there were substantially more sold signs around than there have been at other times.

of course there is no guarantee that it will be the same next year
Old Jul 12th 2006, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by majortom
Wish we had put the house on the market before getting the visa, Im now stuck in England and my Wife and daughter have been in OZ for 14 weeks.

We went down the employer sponsorship route, and as soon as the visa's came through my wife had to take up her post.

Good news is that I now have a first time buyer after 12 weeks and 10 viewers later, hopefully looking at 6-8 weeks.

Good luck to all waiting for that "SOLD" sign to go up
good luck major Tom . Must be awful your wife being thre all alone. hope u get there soon