Selling cars

Old Mar 3rd 2005, 3:53 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Selling cars

There was a thread on here a couple of weeks ago about possible routes for selling cars (ebay, local paper etc) but it was the first one I have seen in nearly 6 months on here. But there have been loads on selling houses. I know you don't have the issue of sales falling through on cars like you do on houses but I am more worried about getting rid of our 2 cars that I am about selling the house.

I have never sold privately before so does anyone have any tips on how to sell them and how to make sure you don't get fleeced. (We have a 2 year old Focus and a 4 year old Ka and still owe £2K on each or there abouts).

Has no anyone had trouble selling their cars?
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 3:57 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Re: Selling cars

Still haven`t sold ours and it`s been in the Exchange & Mart and LOOT for a couple of months now. It`s a fair price we`re asking for imho.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 4:09 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stormz
Still haven`t sold ours and it`s been in the Exchange & Mart and LOOT for a couple of months now. It`s a fair price we`re asking for imho.
Selling cars privately is a nightmare for anything over a certain price (£3,000 upwards?)

We've got two more weeks here before we go and we may have to consider selling our 2 year old golf to a garage and lose potentially £1,500 - £2,000 on it.

That said, you look at how many people reduce the price of their house without flinching and losing just £2,000 doesn't seem a lot (especially because we got the asking price in the house).

Swings and roundabouts.
Rob
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

As we re going to need a car right up to the last minute,i thought we d leave the car for my dad to sell for us after we ve gone,he s sold lots of second hand cars for my brother who dabbles a bit in doing cars up and selling them for a profit,and he s never had any problems selling them in the paper most people can get a bargain buying a car privately,cutting out the middle man and his bog fat profit,and of course you can get more yourself, selling it private than the garage will give you,just got to make sure you get them to sign a sold as seen agreement

tracey.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 4:34 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scissors
just got to make sure you get them to sign a sold as seen agreement

tracey.
sod the sold as seen agreement - we're all fleeing the country! like to see them catch up with me if I sell them a nail!

Rob
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 4:35 pm
Sydneysider & loving it!!

molloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by worzel
There was a thread on here a couple of weeks ago about possible routes for selling cars (ebay, local paper etc) but it was the first one I have seen in nearly 6 months on here. But there have been loads on selling houses. I know you don't have the issue of sales falling through on cars like you do on houses but I am more worried about getting rid of our 2 cars that I am about selling the house.

I have never sold privately before so does anyone have any tips on how to sell them and how to make sure you don't get fleeced. (We have a 2 year old Focus and a 4 year old Ka and still owe £2K on each or there abouts).

We sold our cars recently on Autotrader http://www.autotrader.co.uk What we did was go to http://www.parkers.co.uk first and used their free valuation. Then put them on Autotrader priced accordingly (or thereabouts) sold quite quickly.

Good luck with it!!
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samnrob2
sod the sold as seen agreement - we're all fleeing the country! like to see them catch up with me if I sell them a nail!

Rob
lol, well i dont wnat them going after my dad, :scared:

tracey.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 4:52 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Selling cars privately is a nightmare for anything over a certain price (£3,000 upwards?)

We've got two more weeks here before we go and we may have to consider selling our 2 year old golf to a garage and lose potentially £1,500 - £2,000 on it.

That said, you look at how many people reduce the price of their house without flinching and losing just £2,000 doesn't seem a lot (especially because we got the asking price in the house).

Swings and roundabouts.
Rob
Or you could take it and it would probably cost you around £2000 (shipping + cutoms/gst)
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 7:17 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Rob
LOL! I thought the same. I am more worried that someone tries to pay me in Monopoly money or with a rubber cheque!
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 7:19 pm
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by molloymj
We sold our cars recently on Autotrader http://www.autotrader.co.uk What we did was go to http://www.parkers.co.uk first and used their free valuation. Then put them on Autotrader priced accordingly (or thereabouts) sold quite quickly.

Good luck with it!!
That is good to know. Did you pay the £2.99 daily fee on Parkers to get a value that includes extras like air con, metal and alloys or just go for the free valuation on bog standard?

Do you think Autotrader are better than Exchange and Mart?

Last edited by worzel; Mar 3rd 2005 at 7:25 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 7:22 pm
A former regular of BE

[QUOTE=scissors]As we re going to need a car right up to the last minute,i thought we d leave the car for my dad to sell for us after we ve gone/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought about that Tracey, but if we are going to have loads of suitcases to move around we wouldn't get them all in my Focus anyway. I aim to get rid and hire an estate car (box van? ) for the last couple of weeks. May even get one from somewhere we can dump it at the airport as we kiss Blightly goodbye.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by worzel

I had to sell my car in a rush after finding that the main dealers weren't interested in a manual. I used ebay and pretty soon i was emailed with a bid at my reserve price and i ended up selling it at that price. Ebay fees were around 20 pounds
See what your make/age car is going for
http://www.ebaymotors.co.uk/
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 9:40 pm
Superfreak!!

[QUOTE=worzel]
As we re going to need a car right up to the last minute,i thought we d leave the car for my dad to sell for us after we ve gone/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought about that Tracey, but if we are going to have loads of suitcases to move around we wouldn't get them all in my Focus anyway. I aim to get rid and hire an estate car (box van? ) for the last couple of weeks. May even get one from somewhere we can dump it at the airport as we kiss Blightly goodbye.
If you find any good car rental prices let us know....
Old Mar 4th 2005, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=worzel]
As we re going to need a car right up to the last minute,i thought we d leave the car for my dad to sell for us after we ve gone/QUOTE]

actually Iain we wont get all our suitcases in my corsa,or on garys motor bike but hopefully the bike will already be sold and we wouldnt take the car to the airport anyway cos someone would have to fetch it back,we ll do what we do whenever we go on holiday,we ll get an airport taxi to take us,usually when we go on holiday we pay £120 return for a local firm, and they provide a 6seater mini bus for that and a trailer for your luggage if you need it,i ll have to find out what they ll charge one way.

tracey.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Mark Dowd will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by molloymj

Good luck with it!!

Agree with Molloymj. I've sold quite a few of my own cars over the years, from a couple of years old to about ten years old. As long as you're not looking to fleece someone for top price you'll have no problems if you price it right. Parkers is useful but Whatcar pricing is more accurate than the free version of Parkers as Whatcar also includes mileage adjustment but the website does throw lots of adverts at you to compensate: http://www.whatcar.co.uk/Valuations_Search.asp Price it somewhere between private and trade depending on your honest assessment of overall condition with "Private" as almost perfect and "Trade" as quite tatty. As you still have finance you will have to contact your finance company and ask then how to "un-encumber" your car as with many financed vehicles the lender may have claim to ownership. Any sensible buyer will carry out history & finance checks on the vehicle which will show the outstanding finance. The finance issue is easy to sort out - just call the people who lent you the money and they'll tell you what to do. Advertise it in the autotrader and your local paper and if you've got the price right it'll be gone within the week and very likely within days of it being published .