Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling car without Roadworthy Certificate

Selling car without Roadworthy Certificate

Old Dec 28th 2019, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

KenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really nice
Default Selling car without Roadworthy Certificate

Hi
I want to sell my car without Roadworthy Certificate
I know many people doing that
but the VicRoad application says I have to provide RWC before the sale.

Can I make the sale without RWC as the new owner should do it themselves?
Old Dec 28th 2019, 7:19 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling car without Roadworthy Certificate

Originally Posted by KenA
Hi
I want to sell my car without Roadworthy Certificate
I know many people doing that
but the VicRoad application says I have to provide RWC before the sale.

Can I make the sale without RWC as the new owner should do it themselves?
If the vehicle is registered then yes, you must provide a RWC. There are a few exemptions to this, such as if you're transfering the vehicle to a spouse, or if you're selling it to a licenced dealer. Check here https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...thy-exemptions
Old Dec 28th 2019, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

KenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really nice

Thanks spouse of scouse

I still wonder how people sell their cars without rwc
Old Dec 28th 2019, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You don’t need one in SA. I suspect that buyers are not clued up enough to ask! Surely the system should be set up so that to transfer rego a certificate must be produced though.
Old Dec 29th 2019, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

You can sell it without a RWC in Victoria...., but it can only be registered in someone elses name once it has a RWC. So you can add a note to the sale receipt sold as is without a RWC new owner to take responsibility. Basically what that means you will generally get about 1000 AUD to 1500 AUD less than you would have with the RWC. Far far easier to sell with one. The buyer has 30 days to get the car roadworthied.... this is in Victoria.

Once your selling in "without a RWC territory", the car generally speaking is very close to a car wreckers job.

Different states have different rules.

For instance in WA and SA I could buy a local car without a roadworthy, get it transferred into my name over there as long as I provide a local address.... Generally speaking the sellers own address or even better a friend or relation that lives in that state.. Then you can bring it back to your own state and treat it as your own vehicle being transferred interstate. It's how to get away with buying an interstate car without a roadworthy Really good for Motorhomes and Campervans that loophole, then you can deal with any issues, and those type of vehicles always have issues, at your own pace.

If buying one in WA.... I'm sure Zulu would be happy to oblige with a local address

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 29th 2019 at 2:31 am.
Old Dec 29th 2019, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks ozzieeagle
Old Dec 29th 2019, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KenA
Thanks ozzieeagle
Make sure you fill in the offcial paperwork properly. Sellers and buyers forms and keep a copy of each one for at least a year.

Old Dec 29th 2019, 3:31 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
You can sell it without a RWC in Victoria...., but it can only be registered in someone elses name once it has a RWC. So you can add a note to the sale receipt sold as is without a RWC new owner to take responsibility. Basically what that means you will generally get about 1000 AUD to 1500 AUD less than you would have with the RWC. Far far easier to sell with one. The buyer has 30 days to get the car roadworthied.... this is in Victoria.

Once your selling in "without a RWC territory", the car generally speaking is very close to a car wreckers job.

Different states have different rules.

Agree that selling a vehicle without a RWC would mean a buyer would want it dirt cheap.

Ken, why don't you take it to a few car yards and see what they'll give you for it? I doubt you'd sell it for much more to a private buyer, and selling to a licenced dealer means you don't have to supply a RWC.