Exporting Car

Old Dec 26th 2019, 8:10 am
Just Joined

mpjdodge is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Exporting Car

Has anyone had any experience of shipping their car out when they move?
I'm looking at bringing my new discovery out but wondered if I'd need to do things like change the speedo to KM/h even though the digital display can be changed to metric.
Other than the cost and getting it properly cleaned would there be any other changes needed to the vehicle?
Old Dec 26th 2019, 10:22 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exporting Car

I've moved your post to the main forum as it's not really an immigration or visa question.

Sorry can't help on the import Q though
Old Dec 26th 2019, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You must have owned it for 12 months to get a license for personal import, the cheapest way. You will need to supply evidence, like a mini visa for the car.
There are transportation costs, stamp duty, registration import taxes and other fees to road and compliance depending on the state.

The speedo should be fine if it has KMs on the dial and can set digital to km. Tether points for child restraints may also need to be fitted.
We used Iron Lady Imports to help but there is loads of info on line and on the gov sites.
Old Dec 30th 2019, 3:41 am
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute

I brought my late Dad's beloved MX5 out to Australia. Its definitely a heart over head decision - lots of hoops to jump through and very costly. Be aware, you have to have made your application to import prior to arriving in Australia or within 6 months of doing so. Further information here - https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/
Sounds like you should select the "personal import" option (which is what I did) .
To answer your questions -
- No need to change the speedo as long as the km/h option is showing (which it will be as its an EU requirement too)
- No matter how hard and well you (or others) clean the vehicle, be prepared for it to need another (expensive!) clean to meet Australian standards on arrival
- Similarly, expect its valuation in Australia (upon which various taxes and charges are based) to be higher than you expect. My car was valued at 8 x the value in the UK!
- Try and ensure the car arrives into a port in the state/territory where you are living if at all possible. Crossing state/territory boundaries creates all sorts of headaches (more personal experience!)
- You will need to get it inspected and certified for use in Australia. A compliance plate is then fitted. Few garages have experience of doing this away from major centres and there is of course cost involved.
- Being an import may well ultimately affect its value if/when you come to sell it here

All in all, you CAN do it, but my advice would be to think long and hard about it!

Last edited by DML; Dec 30th 2019 at 5:32 am.
Old Dec 30th 2019, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Landing our car in a different state and then transporting in on a trailer to home was cheaper for us. Different if you drive it interstate though as need to register in two states. Worth paying for someone to help. We paid for a service and it saved us money in the end.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 6:35 am
Just Joined

Thanks. Will check out Iron Lady Imports.
Bit concerned as my speedo dial doesn't have Km on it. Only the digital display can be changed.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 6:39 am
Just Joined

DML - Thanks.
I'm starting to realise it's a heart over head decision.
I was looking to take my Honda S2000 as well but I think it makes more sense to just sell both here in the UK and buy something when I land in Oz.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mpjdodge
Thanks. Will check out Iron Lady Imports.
Bit concerned as my speedo dial doesn't have Km on it. Only the digital display can be changed.
it should have all UK cars do, especially if it is new.