Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

(Self-employed) & earning money from the web.

(Self-employed) & earning money from the web.

Old Apr 15th 2009, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

BudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation (Self-employed) & earning money from the web.

I know there are a few web-developers on here, so I'm hoping someone can relate to my circumstances.

I'm full-time employed as a PHP/C# .NET web developer but also run a couple of websites that earn around the same amount again. If it wasn't for paying off old debts; I could 'in theory' give up work and spend my days at home. Despite being employed full-time, I'm also self-employed.

I'm planning to take the RPL route in Oct next year when I have enough professional experience, was just wondering if the self-employed website stuff is of any value.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

BudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: (Self-employed) & earning money from the web.

Bump

Sorry, Oz are waking up now - probably a better time of day to ask.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:14 pm
ABCDiamond

You lose me with the "PHP/C# .NET ", but in principle any web site you are now running can presumably be run from wherever in the world you are.

Therefore, the value of it will stay the same, as you can still run it.

Have I understood the question ? or not

edit
Now, after reading it again, but slower, I realise that I didn't

Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

No problem

You're correct in that I can run it from anywhere in the world, be it the UK or Oz.

I guess I'm asking if I can/could apply as being self-employed rather than going through the RPL route. At the end of the day, I'll be earning my living and pumping my cash in to the Australian economy, right?
Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:47 pm
ABCDiamond

Looking at it logically, as opposed to knowing what one is actually talking about re migration, I would assume that a person with proven history of self employment, and the potential to create an Australian business, and therefore possibly employ, would be a benefit for getting a visa.

Maybe look at the:
Business Skills Entry
- business owners, senior executives, those with an ownership interest in an established business in Australia, or investment-linked migration.
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books7.htm

Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Although I have a proven income history, I doubt I'd be employing anyone though as I don't have a need for it - the site pretty much runs itself.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:36 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

I was in a similar position. I came to Australia to study initially. I went down the RPL route (not pleasant if I'm honest). I'd suggest talking to an immigration agent sooner rather than later to get a feel for your options and chances. Some will offer a free initial chat.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Might just do that, but I've spent a fortune asking them questions over different periods so far!