Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone taken their UK mobile phone to OZ?

Has anyone taken their UK mobile phone to OZ?

Old Apr 16th 2009, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice
Default Has anyone taken their UK mobile phone to OZ?

I have a uk mobile I had when I was in the uk 4 years ago. will this work with a new sim card over in oz?

Thanks.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

BarryHargo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has anyone taken their UK mobile phone to OZ?

Originally Posted by BeachBassist
I have a uk mobile I had when I was in the uk 4 years ago. will this work with a new sim card over in oz?

Thanks.
Yeah they work no issues. Mine auto changed onto aussie network when I was out there. So take sim and see what it goes onto then buy a sim for that network. As long of it's dual band (I think) shouldn't be an issue
Old Apr 16th 2009, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice

Originally Posted by BarryHargo
Yeah they work no issues. Mine auto changed onto aussie network when I was out there. So take sim and see what it goes onto then buy a sim for that network. As long of it's dual band (I think) shouldn't be an issue
cool thanks. I got a dual segam.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Yep mine worked, bought vodafone sim card for a couple of dollars at a petrol station over there, and it worked fine!

Bluekipper
Old Apr 16th 2009, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bluekipper
Yep mine worked, bought vodafone sim card for a couple of dollars at a petrol station over there, and it worked fine!

Bluekipper
excellent. yeah I have vodafone sim in it. just need an oz one.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

BarryHargo is an unknown quantity at this point

excellent. yeah I have vodafone sim in it. just need an oz one.
Can pick them up on ebay if you want to be prepared.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BarryHargo
Can pick them up on ebay if you want to be prepared.
hard to use ebay in the Bahamas...don't think it works. will wait till I hit the airport...maybe they sell them. thanks.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 11:23 pm
Gone Walkabout

aussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really nice

Unlike the UK, Australia sells sim free phones, I recently saw a Nokia sim free being sold in our local Woolworths for only $59 (£30) the obvious advantage here is you can then choose any sim you like, I currently use two different sims as each company has it's own special deals, the best I have found is to have an optus and virgin sim, the optus i use to call friends on the optus home and mobile network, you can choose your five favourite optus numbers for cheaper calls day and night and the wife and I both own virgin sims as the calls are free between virgin users on certain tariffs.

Even though mobile providers don't mention this in the small print or on their websites some will unlock your phone for free or a small fee of around £30. Just before I left the UK I asked virgin to unlock my phone and they done it for free so it may pay to ring your provider and ask if they can do this as a sim free phone has many more advantages than one locked to a certain network.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aussiedreamz
Unlike the UK, Australia sells sim free phones, I recently saw a Nokia sim free being sold in our local Woolworths for only $59 (£30) the obvious advantage here is you can then choose any sim you like, I currently use two different sims as each company has it's own special deals, the best I have found is to have an optus and virgin sim, the optus i use to call friends on the optus home and mobile network, you can choose your five favourite optus numbers for cheaper calls day and night and the wife and I both own virgin sims as the calls are free between virgin users on certain tariffs.

Even though mobile providers don't mention this in the small print or on their websites some will unlock your phone for free or a small fee of around £30. Just before I left the UK I asked virgin to unlock my phone and they done it for free so it may pay to ring your provider and ask if they can do this as a sim free phone has many more advantages than one locked to a certain network.
Thanks for the info. very helpful. I have a Nokia which is unlocked but it is a U.S. one. I think my UK one is still locked. can't remember if I unlocked it or not but I tried connecting to the local service but couldn't. I was told in the Bahamas they use a network based on U.S.

Might be best later getting a set up like you have. I think I will just use my UK mobile for temporary use.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 11:47 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Might be best later getting a set up like you have. I think I will just use my UK mobile for temporary use.
Three and a half years on, hubby is still using his UK phone (not really into the whole uptodate technology thing ). Ticks me off as I am so over the transformer stuck in the adaptor plug trying to fall out of the wall socket.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Three and a half years on, hubby is still using his UK phone (not really into the whole uptodate technology thing ). Ticks me off as I am so over the transformer stuck in the adaptor plug trying to fall out of the wall socket.
I got one one of those old mobiles.