Self Build

Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

cul8rm8e will become famous soon enoughcul8rm8e will become famous soon enough
Default Self Build

How many of you guy`s out there planning a self build when you get out there?
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

arewethereyet has a spectacular aura aboutarewethereyet has a spectacular aura aboutarewethereyet has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Self Build

Would love to self build out in Victoria, the family are not as keen as its taken the last 2 years to get our present large extension (nearly) complete. Also believe that the rules and certifications are very strict out there regarding who can do what and then provide warranties.
Its been a great learning curve doing lots of stuff myself from insulation, floors, plasterboard, partitions and even knocking down a wall or 2. I`m a civil engineer so have a bit of a head start in building design.....
Self build in aus may mean employing your own subbies so they can sign off the work, I`ve still to do more research on the pros and cons but State of Victoria has a number of links to self build advice if I can find them again.
Happy building

STNI to Victoria early 06
Civil Engineer
Old Nov 14th 2005, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Self Build

Originally Posted by arewethereyet
Would love to self build out in Victoria, the family are not as keen as its taken the last 2 years to get our present large extension (nearly) complete. Also believe that the rules and certifications are very strict out there regarding who can do what and then provide warranties.
Its been a great learning curve doing lots of stuff myself from insulation, floors, plasterboard, partitions and even knocking down a wall or 2. I`m a civil engineer so have a bit of a head start in building design.....
Self build in aus may mean employing your own subbies so they can sign off the work, I`ve still to do more research on the pros and cons but State of Victoria has a number of links to self build advice if I can find them again.
Happy building

STNI to Victoria early 06
Civil Engineer

There is a company that my Mum is using that steps you through an Owner Build. I dont know alot of the details, I will talk to Mum and find out what I can and let you know.

Supposedly it works really well. Mum has about 1/2 dozen friends that have all done it, in good build times and saved at least a couple of thousand per square. Which has worked out on average 30% savings on a project build.

If you are interested I will see what I can find out.

Hels
Old Nov 15th 2005, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

cul8rm8e will become famous soon enoughcul8rm8e will become famous soon enough

Hi, thanks a lot, any help or info you can put my way would be great

Originally Posted by Hels
There is a company that my Mum is using that steps you through an Owner Build. I dont know alot of the details, I will talk to Mum and find out what I can and let you know.

Supposedly it works really well. Mum has about 1/2 dozen friends that have all done it, in good build times and saved at least a couple of thousand per square. Which has worked out on average 30% savings on a project build.

If you are interested I will see what I can find out.

Hels
Old Nov 15th 2005, 1:31 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

Have you seen the tread by fraser?

Here it is

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337284
Old Nov 15th 2005, 1:59 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hoping to try and build ...

It's a balancing act financially though. Do we sit in a rental for 18 months waiting for our dream home to be built or buy in the interim and borrow against the equity in that house ... ?

Decisions ... decisions ...

I think a job is the first priority for everyone !

Three Legs

Originally Posted by cul8rm8e
How many of you guy`s out there planning a self build when you get out there?