Reload this Page >

Seiiling a UK flat from Aus?

Seiiling a UK flat from Aus?

Old Sep 29th 2006, 7:41 am
Just Joined

littlescott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seiiling a UK flat from Aus?

Hi folks,

Im here in Aus on a WHM visa with my partner and weve decided we want to stay. Currently applying for STNI visa (yawn...) Anyway, I own a flat in Manchester. I am renting it out to a friend at the moment but she is going to move out soon and the reality of being a landlord (Ive not even been a homeowner that long!) thousands of miles away hit me.

As it was a mate's arrangement I didnt use a rental agency and im a bit loathe to employ one now as ive heard many stories about them being a rip off. So Im thinking of selling my flat now (rather than a year or two down the track when we are hopefully stable enough in Aus to want to buy here.)

Am I foolish to try and sell now before the visa decision comes through? Is it possible to sell a place in the UK whilst staying here in Aus? My mum and dad have power of attorney and could sign stuff if necessary (although they dont want to have to do everything!) Never having sold a property before I don't know too much about the process but reading some of your posts it could certainly take a while - there seems no point in me flying back to Manc to sit around waiting for someone to buy it ...

Has anyone succesfully sold from abroad?

cheers

scott
Old Sep 29th 2006, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice
Default Re: Seiiling a UK flat from Aus?

Originally Posted by littlescott
Has anyone succesfully sold from abroad?

cheers

scott
we did.
Put the property on the market the week before we left for Australia. It took some time to actually go through, although it was 'sold' for some time.
Hubby's parents had a power of attorney, so there was someone to sign the papers. We were the ones who negotiated with the agent most of the time (email or late night calls).
Can be done, I don't know if it was any more hassle than doing it in the UK (I have never sold a place in the UK before
Sorry, I cannot make any comment on whether this was a good idea or not to do this before you get the visa as we are on a spouse visa, so there was no problem about getting our visa or any concerns.
Good luck, whatever your choices.
Abby
Old Sep 29th 2006, 2:37 pm
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Seiiling a UK flat from Aus?

If you use a rela estate agent in the UK to sell your property then as you have folk in the UK with powerof attorney cant see you should have much problem.

I sold my house in the Midlands while living in London no hassel. My view was I was paying the real estate agent commission to sell the place for me so why shouldn't they earn it.

They only involvement I had was signing the paperwork. A friend was available when the furnitutre was moved out and let people in to clean it for me.

Not sure what the UK market is like now days so dont know how long it will take to sell.