Reload this Page >

Seeking new friends in Melbourne

Seeking new friends in Melbourne

Old Sep 7th 2004, 6:01 am
Just Joined

DawnandAlan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seeking new friends in Melbourne

Hi

I moved to Melbourne in Aug 2004 with my husband and 1 yr old daughter. I am staying at home to look after her and would love to met up with other mums during the day and share our expat experiences. Plaese contact me if you are interested. I have transport so distance is not an issue, connection with adults for sanity is a necessity !!!
Old Sep 7th 2004, 6:15 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seeking new friends in Melbourne

Originally Posted by DawnandAlan
Hi

I moved to Melbourne in Aug 2004 with my husband and 1 yr old daughter. I am staying at home to look after her and would love to met up with other mums during the day and share our expat experiences. Plaese contact me if you are interested. I have transport so distance is not an issue, connection with adults for sanity is a necessity !!!

Dawn, have you looked into Playgroups? These things are all over QLD and I thin are aimed more at the mums than the kids. Also join a swimming class, never too young to start
Old Sep 7th 2004, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Yes I have joined three but am finding it difficult to make good contacts at these groups. The conversation is always at a superficial level and I find it hard to connect as an outsider. I know I will have to be patient! I just think if I have something else in common (ie expats) it will help. But thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by jayr
Dawn, have you looked into Playgroups? These things are all over QLD and I thin are aimed more at the mums than the kids. Also join a swimming class, never too young to start
Old Sep 7th 2004, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Yes I have joined three but am finding it difficult to make good contacts at these groups. The conversation is always at a superficial level and I find it hard to connect as an outsider. I know I will have to be patient! I just think if I have something else in common (ie expats) it will help. But thanks for the advice.

Hi Where are you in Melbourne ?

booboo
Old Sep 7th 2004, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by booboo
Hi Where are you in Melbourne ?

booboo
Thanks for the reply. I'm currently in Werribee renting, but are widening our serch for properties to buy. A lot of expats seem to be based in SE Melbourne, why is this. Is it better or more like home ? Any comments about good areas for small children and mums at home would be appreciated.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 10:10 am
scoobydoo

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently in Werribee renting, but are widening our serch for properties to buy. A lot of expats seem to be based in SE Melbourne, why is this. Is it better or more like home ? Any comments about good areas for small children and mums at home would be appreciated.

Hi there....we are in the northern suburbs (Eltham) about 1 hour from the city. There are a few migrants from all places here. I think it just depends what you want. Where we are is leafy, a short distance to the city but not too far from countryside. There are a lot of mums at home here and a lot of pre-schools, but it is a bit expensive to buy and rent. And the coast is a bit too far if you like that sort of thing.

Old Sep 7th 2004, 11:53 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Hi Dawn,

Have no fear, there IS civilization this side of the Yarra! We are in Williamstown, not too far away. Don't have small kids, just cats, but if you fancy meeting for lunch & a natter sometime, drop me a PM.

BTW, Williamstown seems like a great area for families - loads to do, beaches, nature trails, city not too far away on the train, nice local 'villagey' atmosphere.

Anya.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Hi Anya,

Funny I took a drive into Williamstown today as it was an area recommended to me. I thought it was nice, as you say villagy. I liked the view across the bay, I'm sure you have to pay big bucks for those houses.
Next time I'm going I'll give you notice and maybe meet up for coffee.

Dawn

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Hi Dawn,

Have no fear, there IS civilization this side of the Yarra! We are in Williamstown, not too far away. Don't have small kids, just cats, but if you fancy meeting for lunch & a natter sometime, drop me a PM.

BTW, Williamstown seems like a great area for families - loads to do, beaches, nature trails, city not too far away on the train, nice local 'villagey' atmosphere.

Anya.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:33 am
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Hi Anya,

Funny I took a drive into Williamstown today as it was an area recommended to me. I thought it was nice, as you say villagy. I liked the view across the bay, I'm sure you have to pay big bucks for those houses.
Next time I'm going I'll give you notice and maybe meet up for coffee.

Dawn
Hi Dawn I'm trying to set up a website purely for people in and around Victoria and would love it to be similar to the Adelaidebrits site where they arrange social get togethers. Join up and see what happens.

http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?act=idx

Sasha
Old Sep 9th 2004, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

i would strongly reccomend those in Melbourne or Victoria give this site some support. On Adelaidebrits we have created a really strong support network through it, and boy does it help when you first arrive!!

It doesnt take anything away from BE as many of us still come here. It just helps to have somewhere more "personal" to where you are going to be living, and helps form a community spirit.

Good luck with it Snappy!!