Quick question

Old Sep 8th 2004, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

gizmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quick question

Hi all,

Could you please tell me if you can get Sky in Oz?

Also, I was wondeing where to find out what electricals it is worth or not worth taking:-

e.g. Plasma TV
Kettles
Food mixers etc - kithcn stuff
Lamps
Dvd / video
PC

etc,

Am trying to work out what we can ship over

Cheers
Giz
Old Sep 8th 2004, 1:54 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Quick question

Originally Posted by gizmo
Hi all,

Also, I was wondeing where to find out what electricals it is worth or not worth taking:-

e.g. Plasma TV
Kettles
Lamps
Dvd / video
PC

etc,

Cheers
Giz
Nope not that i know off ..
they have Fox which is roughly the same ...
Old Sep 8th 2004, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Dave, Tracy & Emily is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Quick question

Rather than sky, it is called 'Foxtel' it's pretty much the same thing.

With regards to the electrical goods, I would look into the TV, we had friends who moved from UK to Oz and took their tv, it wouldn't work as it was not compat. with the signal, so they swapped it with someone coming the other way.

Biggest problem I have found taking electrical goods either way is that you have to use adaptors, the watt is the same, put the plugs are not.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Dave, Tracy & Emily; Sep 8th 2004 at 2:06 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

e.g. Plasma TV
Kettles
Lamps
Dvd / video
PC

etc,

Cheers
Giz
Sky yes, but read Foxtel (Rupert Murdoch and all that) not as many channels as the UK (before Mike et al point this out). Kettles, food mixers, lamps, PC etc (can't speak for Plasma TV or DVD but videos have a problem) yes, but you will have to change the plugs or use UK to Oz travel adaptors.

OzTennis
Old Sep 8th 2004, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

There you go, 3 people say the same thing at the same time. Oz Plugs have smaller pins and don't have a fuse in them like in the UK.

OzTennis
Old Sep 8th 2004, 2:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Sky yes, but read Foxtel (Rupert Murdoch and all that) not as many channels as the UK (before Mike et al point this out). Kettles, food mixers, lamps, PC etc (can't speak for Plasma TV or DVD but videos have a problem) yes, but you will have to change the plugs or use UK to Oz travel adaptors.

OzTennis
Not as many channels?? Jeez, I have a bloke who surfs constantly through at least 36!Drives me nuts!! Thank God I didn't have Sky when he visited the UK!
However, Foxtel is OK, make sure you get a package with UKTV, Comedy Channel & Lifestyle and you will loads of UK shows!!! you also get Sky News, which at various times shows UK Sky News - weird when i get up for work & they are showing the 9pm news, but its a taste of home!

Buy loads of travel adaptors, easier (and technically more legal) than changing the plugs. You cane avoid some adaptors by bringing those multi-plug boards that take 4/5 at once. I have adaptors on all my plugs and lamps, pc, stereo, all work OK. I recommend getting a surge-protected board to plug any computer stuff into - protects it from the frequent storms and unpredictable power surges. My pc was "crashed" by power surges at least 25 times last Oz summer, recovered OK, but apparently having the surge board is one thing that could have prevented damage.
If you bring things with UK plugs, and plan to use adapters - BRING FUSES! Oz plugs are not fused, and if a fuse blows for some reason you will have problems getting another. Pack some spares! I only realised when i got here, and had to send home for some quick!

DVD/Video/TV compatability - lots of threads, all too technical for me, so just do a search!
Old Sep 8th 2004, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not as many channels?? Jeez, I have a bloke who surfs constantly through at least 36!Drives me nuts!! Thank God I didn't have Sky when he visited the UK!
However, Foxtel is OK, make sure you get a package with UKTV, Comedy Channel & Lifestyle and you will loads of UK shows!!! you also get Sky News, which at various times shows UK Sky News - weird when i get up for work & they are showing the 9pm news, but its a taste of home!

Buy loads of travel adaptors, easier (and technically more legal) than changing the plugs. You cane avoid some adaptors by bringing those multi-plug boards that take 4/5 at once. I have adaptors on all my plugs and lamps, pc, stereo, all work OK. I recommend getting a surge-protected board to plug any computer stuff into - protects it from the frequent storms and unpredictable power surges. My pc was "crashed" by power surges at least 25 times last Oz summer, recovered OK, but apparently having the surge board is one thing that could have prevented damage.
If you bring things with UK plugs, and plan to use adapters - BRING FUSES! Oz plugs are not fused, and if a fuse blows for some reason you will have problems getting another. Pack some spares! I only realised when i got here, and had to send home for some quick!

DVD/Video/TV compatability - lots of threads, all too technical for me, so just do a search!
Thanks alot guys for all the info, much appreciated.
Best start collecting plugs, fuses etc now!!! BTW do you know if you can buy Ozzie plugs in UK??

Cheers
Giz
Old Sep 8th 2004, 3:56 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Best start collecting plugs, fuses etc now!!! BTW do you know if you can buy Ozzie plugs in UK??

Cheers
Giz
Giz
I recently got a brand new top of the range TV (JVC) so I asked JVC in Australia if it would work over there. They guaranteed me it would work EXCEPT that the tuner would not detect terrestial stations (ie, through the aerial). They said I can plug in a video, cable, satellite, DVD etc. and it would work 100%. I should be able to get the terrestial TV through the aerial without a problem.
Of course, I hope they are right!

Andrew
Old Sep 8th 2004, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by andrew63
Giz
I recently got a brand new top of the range TV (JVC) so I asked JVC in Australia if it would work over there. They guaranteed me it would work EXCEPT that the tuner would not detect terrestial stations (ie, through the aerial). They said I can plug in a video, cable, satellite, DVD etc. and it would work 100%. I should be able to get the terrestial TV through the aerial without a problem.
Of course, I hope they are right!

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, we didn't go for the tuner anyway, we run it directly from Sky (hence the question about Sky!)

Basically the Plasma is a big monitor, therefore I assume that it should worok o.k. as long as we have the right plugs!! Might contact Pansonic in Aus though (assuming there is Panasonic in Aus!) and check with them.

Thanks
Giz
Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:41 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

e.g. Plasma TV
Kettles
Lamps
Dvd / video
PC

etc,

Cheers
Giz
if youve had sky then u will find that foxtel is pish.
here , just look at the tv guide
http://www.foxtel.com.au/
but then again, u dont need the telly as much over here.
i moan all the time about foxtel, but im never in to watch it lol
Old Sep 9th 2004, 3:57 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by soapy
if youve had sky then u will find that foxtel is pish.
here , just look at the tv guide
http://www.foxtel.com.au/
but then again, u dont need the telly as much over here.
i moan all the time about foxtel, but im never in to watch it lol

I'd agree with this, just returned from Oz and only managed to see the news on TV once

A more active life leads to early nights and lots of

It might be diferent though when we finally move and fall back into the old routines.

Bye
Mark
Old Sep 9th 2004, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Thanks Andrew, we didn't go for the tuner anyway, we run it directly from Sky (hence the question about Sky!)

Basically the Plasma is a big monitor, therefore I assume that it should worok o.k. as long as we have the right plugs!! Might contact Pansonic in Aus though (assuming there is Panasonic in Aus!) and check with them.

Thanks
Giz
Satellite TV here doesnt come with the free to air stations like (apart from ABC and SBS) whereas it does in the UK . Still, you wont miss a lot, except millions of third rate TV ads
Old Sep 9th 2004, 6:26 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Cheers
Giz
Fuses? Don't bother.
Aussie plugs don't have em - relies on the building circuit fuse I think.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
Fuses? Don't bother.
Aussie plugs don't have em - relies on the building circuit fuse I think.

Oh god, no SKY!!

In know we are going to Oz for a lifestyle change, do more outdoor activities, spend more time togther etc, BUT NO SKY!!!!!

DON'T KNOW IF I CAN COPE!!!!

Maybe I could set up an import business to import Sky into Oz......

Am abit confuse about the fuses things now? No fuses in Oz plugs?

Cheers
Giz
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Oh god, no SKY!!

In know we are going to Oz for a lifestyle change, do more outdoor activities, spend more time togther etc, BUT NO SKY!!!!!

DON'T KNOW IF I CAN COPE!!!!

Maybe I could set up an import business to import Sky into Oz......

Am abit confuse about the fuses things now? No fuses in Oz plugs?

Cheers
Giz
Read through everything again, now understand the fuses situation.

If you use adaptors, you will still be using K plugs, therefoer UK fuses etc.

If you put Oz plugs on then you don't need fuses!!

Cheers
Giz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.