Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Security shutters

Security shutters

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Security shutters

Hi guys.

Anybody recently had security roller shutters (windows) fitted in WA?
Just after any recommendations and some rough estimates to costs etc.

Steve
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 11:16 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Security shutters

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Hi guys.

Steve
We've just fitted ten, to windows, doors and a big patio door.

They were OzRoll, based in Adelaide. The slats are ally, foam filled and the mechanisms are remote control electric operation.

We fitted half ourselves, and they were fine. The others were too high/big to lift at our age so the supplier fitted them. Let's just say that we wished we could have done them all.....

The design of Ozroll shutters is fine, and the RC works well. We have two controllers for the ten shutters.

However, if I was to list the number of times the wrong bits were sent, the wrong orientations, the missing pieces etc etc I'd be here all night. The Ozroll dispatch quality control is lamentable - well up to "Australian Standards". Two emails to them detailing all the mistakes went unanswered, although the supplier had a visit from their tech manager with reference to my emails. It made no difference though, subsequent orders (we had them in three lots) had similar deficiencies.

You just have to get used to it here.....
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

They were OzRoll, based in Adelaide. The slats are ally, foam filled and the mechanisms are remote control electric operation.

We fitted half ourselves, and they were fine. The others were too high/big to lift at our age so the supplier fitted them. Let's just say that we wished we could have done them all.....

The design of Ozroll shutters is fine, and the RC works well. We have two controllers for the ten shutters.

However, if I was to list the number of times the wrong bits were sent, the wrong orientations, the missing pieces etc etc I'd be here all night. The Ozroll dispatch quality control is lamentable - well up to "Australian Standards". Two emails to them detailing all the mistakes went unanswered, although the supplier had a visit from their tech manager with reference to my emails. It made no difference though, subsequent orders (we had them in three lots) had similar deficiencies.

So were the ones you fitted easy enough to do? ie within the
capabilities of your average DIYer?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what would I be looking to pay for that number of shutters.
Cheers
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 11:00 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

So were the ones you fitted easy enough to do? ie within the
capabilities of your average DIYer?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what would I be looking to pay for that number of shutters.
Cheers
I took a few photos this morning on a damp and foggy day to show you the windows - costs are not very useful if you can't see what you are getting. I was going to PM them to you but I can't see how to attach them in a PM!

Any ideas?
Old Jun 4th 2009, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wol
I took a few photos this morning on a damp and foggy day to show you the windows - costs are not very useful if you can't see what you are getting. I was going to PM them to you but I can't see how to attach them in a PM!

Any ideas?
For some reason it doesn't appear that the same options to add an attachment exists when you PM
You can still add them to your forums posts though.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 3:13 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm sure you used to be able to.

Anyway, the ten shutters cost $12495 in total, including bits and bobs like mastic and extra wire that I bought myself. Five were fitted by Mrs Wol and myself, the fitting of the other five was at $100 per shutter.

The motors are 12v IIRC, and each has a NiMH battery unit in the loft with a transformer permanently plugged in to trickle charge it. Each unit has an RF receiver and we have the two small remotes, each capable of signalling nine units but only actually controlling five.

Yes, they are very DIY friendly: all you need is to take care, measure accurately and figure out how to hoist them up without dropping them.

Pics enclosed: hope this is helpful. (I took them this morning on a cold, damp foggy day so not very clear! Some shutters are open, some closed and some halfway so's you can see how they look.)
Attached Thumbnails Security shutters-ensuite.jpg   Security shutters-living-winter-rooms.jpg   Security shutters-living-room.jpg   Security shutters-master-bedroom.jpg  

Last edited by Wol; Jun 4th 2009 at 3:15 am.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 3:23 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Silly question perhaps - but for $12K what exactly is the benefit you get from this product?

Is it purely security? Do you close all these shutter everynight and baracade yourself into your home - or do you only use them when you leave the house?

Do you live in a really dodgy area? Is that why you felt the need? Have you had experience of window based break-ins?

(Not meaning to be flippant - I just dont really understand the problem that this quite expensive product is designed to solve!)
Old Jun 4th 2009, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

We considered having roller shutters. But we decided against them. Your location says "Ocean Reef". Think about the high winds we get here. Those roller shutters will make an incredible amount of noise - keep you awake at night.

If it's security you are worried about: why not consider security doors/screens (crimsafe etc)?
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

wulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of lightwulfruna is a glorious beacon of light

We live on the seafront and have roller shutters installed all along the front (wide frontage) and at the back. We had them precisely because of the high winds with the added benefit of security.

If a mini tornado goes through there is a very small amount of noise but with the usual high winds there is none and they save on heating and cooling costs.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:10 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

Wow Wol, You really don't have any luck with anything to do with windows do you?

S
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wol
I'm sure you used to be able to.

Anyway, the ten shutters cost $12495 in total, including bits and bobs like mastic and extra wire that I bought myself. Five were fitted by Mrs Wol and myself, the fitting of the other five was at $100 per shutter.

The motors are 12v IIRC, and each has a NiMH battery unit in the loft with a transformer permanently plugged in to trickle charge it. Each unit has an RF receiver and we have the two small remotes, each capable of signalling nine units but only actually controlling five.

Yes, they are very DIY friendly: all you need is to take care, measure accurately and figure out how to hoist them up without dropping them.

Pics enclosed: hope this is helpful. (I took them this morning on a cold, damp foggy day so not very clear! Some shutters are open, some closed and some halfway so's you can see how they look.)
Many thanks for that

Although not cheap, not as expensive as I was expecting
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
We considered having roller shutters. But we decided against them. Your location says "Ocean Reef". Think about the high winds we get here. Those roller shutters will make an incredible amount of noise - keep you awake at night.

If it's security you are worried about: why not consider security doors/screens (crimsafe etc)?
We currently have roller shutters on the front windows (north facing) of our rental in Ocean Reef, but we're in the process of moving up to Currambine and would like them fitted there.
To be honest, although the security aspect is important, the best thing I've found with them is how dark and cool they kept our bedroom during the summer.
Back in the UK I always struggled to get a good sleep when on night shifts during the summer, but over here I didn't have a problem.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:49 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Silly question perhaps - but for $12K what exactly is the benefit you get from this product?

Is it purely security? Do you close all these shutter everynight and baracade yourself into your home - or do you only use them when you leave the house?

Do you live in a really dodgy area? Is that why you felt the need? Have you had experience of window based break-ins?

(Not meaning to be flippant - I just dont really understand the problem that this quite expensive product is designed to solve!)
As regular readers may know, we had 2 years of disaster with the windows in our house build and they still leak in high wind and rain. And the wind here from the SW is ferocious for three months every year, AND we're on a SW facing ridge. The shutters have made those windows rain-tight.

They make no noise at all in high winds, and the rooms are incredibly snug when it's frosty.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:50 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Wow Wol, You really don't have any luck with anything to do with windows do you?

S
You said it!

Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone fix those iron grills on the windows - I haven't seen any? Was just wondering...

Edit: managed to find a picture of our house in India to give you an idea..
Attached Thumbnails Security shutters-grill.jpg  

Last edited by IndieG; Jun 4th 2009 at 8:47 am.