Reload this Page >

secondary school teachers

secondary school teachers

Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

marjan912 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default secondary school teachers

Hi friends,

I want to migrate to Australia by skill migrant visa. Secondary school teacher is a job which is available in SOL list( new list too).
But there is no clue for the subject areas which are needed. I am an English teacher. English is a foreign language in my country. My bachelor degree is teaching English and i have 8 years work experience.

Anyone knows that English teachers are in demand or not?
In despite of being non native speaker of English, Have i any chance to be accepted for this job in teacher registry?

Thank you for your kind regards.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

hilasbat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: secondary school teachers

To get a perm. job as a Teacher, other than Maths/Science is pretty hard right now - and without being harsh, there are plenty of English as a first language English teachers in Australia (Australian qualified as well), so you might struggle.

If you have the necessary paperwork then you probably would be accepted by the relevant teacher registration board for the State/Territory you want to work in (including the English Language requirement - IELTS test), however to actually gain a job might be a lot harder - from speaking to friends in Australia and those over here from Australia they aren't really crying out for Secondary School teachers in general (apart from the above mentioned subjects), you would have to accept a job in a school no one else wanted probably, in the back of beyond (not that this is nec. a bad thing, depending on your views of things, but most people don't want to live in such a remote area - hence there being the possibility of jobs).

However, you don't have to work in the industry your visa is in, so you could possibly gain employ in another area?
Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

marjan912 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: secondary school teachers

Hi friend,
Thank you for your openness.
I guessed it somehow!
Is it the same for New Zealand?
Nevertheless, I have MA in educational administration and i am a PHD student in educational administration. In the next year i will be graduated.
I am going to search for postdoctoral scholarship in Aus. or NZ universities.
But it is a new struggle too!
Meanwhile, I have no experience work in administration just 9 months as a deputy of principal in school at 2006.

Thank you for your kind guidance!
Good luck