Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a car in WA

Buying a car in WA

Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all
Default Buying a car in WA

Does anybody actually want to sell their car in Wa. I'm moving to Perth in 10 days on a 457 and need to buy a car so I have started to contact sellers and I haven't mentioned I'm not in the country. I'm using a .com email address.

So far I've sent 3 emails using a Wa address asking about specific cars to the advertisers and no one has replied. I'm well versed in buying in the Uk but Wa leaves a lot to be desired in respect of buying cars privately.

Does Wa actually mean Wait alot

Not impressed
Old Jun 6th 2011, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Buying a car in WA

I'm selling mine if you're interested. I'm only a short spin from WA. Google maps reckons it's only 47 hours driving.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mvagusta
Does anybody actually want to sell their car in Wa. I'm moving to Perth in 10 days on a 457 and need to buy a car so I have started to contact sellers and I haven't mentioned I'm not in the country. I'm using a .com email address.

So far I've sent 3 emails using a Wa address asking about specific cars to the advertisers and no one has replied. I'm well versed in buying in the Uk but Wa leaves a lot to be desired in respect of buying cars privately.

Does Wa actually mean Wait alot

Not impressed
You're close, WA means "Wait Awhile" in every aspect. You might not be getting replies because most people call, they might have enough interested callers so no need to reply to you.

Good luck.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Just from a seller's perspective, I receive these email inquiries from CarSales.com.au and when I respond I hear nothing back.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

WA is crap at emails. Your unlikely to get a reply from the Aussies.
Ive been here 4 year and given up on emailing business or so called professionals.

Your best bet is using the phone.

Gems
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

It was a public holiday in WA yesterday (Foundation Day), so long weekends slow things down even more.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Steve2009
I'm selling mine if you're interested. I'm only a short spin from WA. Google maps reckons it's only 47 hours driving.
I've considered this. I'll meet you halfway.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

That's because you know motorail covers your half.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by canadaeh
You're close, WA means "Wait Awhile" in every aspect. You might not be getting replies because most people call, they might have enough interested callers so no need to reply to you.

Good luck.
Yep, from recent experience it looks as if it means wait along while.

Just from a seller's perspective, I receive these email inquiries from CarSales.com.au and when I respond I hear nothing back.
That's people for you it happens everywhere.

Originally Posted by Gems
WA is crap at emails. Your unlikely to get a reply from the Aussies.
Ive been here 4 year and given up on emailing business or so called professionals.

Your best bet is using the phone.

Gems
I would phone but out of the 3 enquiries I've made 2 didn't have a phone number.

Originally Posted by HelenTD
It was a public holiday in WA yesterday (Foundation Day), so long weekends slow things down even more.
That would explain the one I sent on Monday, but doesn't explain the other 2 which were sent 10 days ago.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

That's because you know motorail covers your half.
I've actually been looking at cars in Nsw and Vic as the cars seem to be cheaper there.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

I've sold and bought from carsales.com.au and gumtree and the non-responses were found to be due to pure laziness on the part of the seller. Carsales charge a one-time fee of $50 to place an advert and it stays on their website until you ask for it be to be removed. Gumtree charges nothing and also leaves your ad alone. I would email them at least twice to be sure to be sure then move on. Good luck.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by discobay
I've sold and bought from carsales.com.au and gumtree and the non-responses were found to be due to pure laziness on the part of the seller. Carsales charge a one-time fee of $50 to place an advert and it stays on their website until you ask for it be to be removed. Gumtree charges nothing and also leaves your ad alone. I would email them at least twice to be sure to be sure then move on. Good luck.
I've sent an email to one owner who had just reduced his car by $1700 for a quick sale. It's still on car sales and he's never replied a bit pathetic if you ask me.

I put my own car on gumtree last Thursday and got 6 enquiries and it was sold the same day. It could be that the cars I'm asking about are sold and they are being to lazy too take them off the site.

I'll keep trying.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

I'm a member of a few car forums and in addition to the for sale threads people post EOI or Expression Of Interest threads to find out how much their cars are worth. It would be reasonable to think that Joe Public does the same especially with free sites like Gumtree. At worst they spend $50 to guage the market for a price on their car before they take it in to the dealers for a trade-in.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by discobay
I'm a member of a few car forums and in addition to the for sale threads people post EOI or Expression Of Interest threads to find out how much their cars are worth. It would be reasonable to think that Joe Public does the same especially with free sites like Gumtree. At worst they spend $50 to guage the market for a price on their car before they take it in to the dealers for a trade-in.
That's all very well, but wouldn't they be better just looking up the cars value on carsales.co.au or redbook. It would save them alot of time not to mention the numerous emails and phone calls.

The other thing I've noticed is that private cars are sometimes priced higher than similar dealer cars which is nuts Imho. Surely the advantage of buying from a dealer is knowing your getting clear title and probably a warranty as well. So you would expect the dealer to be dearer.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

That's because sites like Redbook are just guides at best. Nothing like Glass' Guide. When a dealer is looking to sell you a second-hand car he will refer to Redbook because it's price is higher than the actual value. When you want to trade yours in he will quickly dismiss Redbook.

The WA car market is much smaller than NSW, VIC and QLD. There are less dealers here and each receives a smaller number than other dealers interstate. Last year I was on the look out for a used Golf R32 or Mini JCW but couldn't find more than 1 or 2 and they were over priced because of that. The single Mini dealer here had one new JCW and sold it the day I was there window shopping; personally I thought $65k was a bit too much that's why I wanted a used one. I contacted Brisbane Mini Garage from whom I had bought before and they had several new and used JCWs in their showroom. Maybe it's these variables that are grossly affecting the used car market prices or the lower humidity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.