Secondary education - application for Assistant Principal role

Secondary education - application for Assistant Principal role

Old Apr 4th 2016, 10:59 am
Just Joined

TJS1976 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Secondary education - application for Assistant Principal role

Hi all...thank you for taking the time to read my post

Brief background...

I am a self-employed Education Trainer/ Professional Mentor/ Qualified Teacher Status Assessor/ Lead Practitioner in English in the UK at present - my time is split between delivering training courses to secondary teachers and teaching 11-18 year olds in schools. I have sixteen years experience of permanent positions in secondary schools - previous positions include: Secondary English Advisor; Advanced Skills Teacher of English; Head of English department; Head of Drama department; Classroom teacher.

I am in the early stages of securing a 189 visa - my aim is to be in Sydney, living and working in January 2017. I will be applying for Assistant Principal roles both in the independent and state sectors.

Can anyone help me with the following questions please?

- What is the process of applying to state schools - do I have to respond directly to advertisements that I find/ is there an recommended agency I could register with?
- Data/ evidence of effective practice - as I am now self-employed, I do not teach at one school for any length of time. I cannot provide data (exam results) to demonstrate tracking of students progress throughout the year/ end of year exam results (can do this up until 2014 - last permanent post) - would this be an issue when applying for Assistant Principal roles?

If you have any other general advice or help, it would be much appreciated I am very excited about making the move to sunny Australia!

Thanks
Old Apr 4th 2016, 1:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Secondary education - application for Assistant Principal role

Originally Posted by TJS1976
Hi all...thank you for taking the time to read my post

Brief background...

I am a self-employed Education Trainer/ Professional Mentor/ Qualified Teacher Status Assessor/ Lead Practitioner in English in the UK at present - my time is split between delivering training courses to secondary teachers and teaching 11-18 year olds in schools. I have sixteen years experience of permanent positions in secondary schools - previous positions include: Secondary English Advisor; Advanced Skills Teacher of English; Head of English department; Head of Drama department; Classroom teacher.

I am in the early stages of securing a 189 visa - my aim is to be in Sydney, living and working in January 2017. I will be applying for Assistant Principal roles both in the independent and state sectors.

Can anyone help me with the following questions please?

- What is the process of applying to state schools - do I have to respond directly to advertisements that I find/ is there an recommended agency I could register with?
- Data/ evidence of effective practice - as I am now self-employed, I do not teach at one school for any length of time. I cannot provide data (exam results) to demonstrate tracking of students progress throughout the year/ end of year exam results (can do this up until 2014 - last permanent post) - would this be an issue when applying for Assistant Principal roles?

If you have any other general advice or help, it would be much appreciated I am very excited about making the move to sunny Australia!

Thanks
Hi and welcome to BE

Can't help much with the actual job side of things, and forgive me if I'm telling you what you already know, but you'll need to be registered to teach here before you'll get a job. That means you need to meet the requirement of a 4 year degree (lots of UK teachers come unstuck here). And you're unlikely to get much interest until you have both the visa and the teaching registration sorted.
Have you got through the skills assessment yet?
Old Apr 4th 2016, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Hello Pollyana - thanks so much for taking the time to reply and your smiley welcome!

You mention the stage that I am in at the moment. I am in the process of gathering information for the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership and BOSTES - so very early stages really. I am happy that I meet the 4 year degree requirement - 3 years subject degree then 1 year post graduate...toes crossed for a smooth journey through the skills assessment then the 189 visa itself, phew!

Thanks once again
Old Apr 4th 2016, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Pollyana - thanks so much for taking the time to reply and your smiley welcome!

You mention the stage that I am in at the moment. I am in the process of gathering information for the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership and BOSTES - so very early stages really. I am happy that I meet the 4 year degree requirement - 3 years subject degree then 1 year post graduate...toes crossed for a smooth journey through the skills assessment then the 189 visa itself, phew!

Thanks once again
It may have changed but it used to be the case that you registered with the Education Department of the state in which you want in order to apply for jobs (e.g. I was registered to teach state secondary and TAFE and private schools in Victoria - at that time 3 separate registration bodies and I could apply for jobs and then teach in high/college schools, TAFE colleges and private schools.

Last edited by OzTennis; Apr 4th 2016 at 3:25 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Hello OzTennis - thanks for being fab and replying to my post

That's helpful information. I am in the process of registering with BOSTES for New South Wales but your post has made me think that perhaps I need to widen my options and register for another state just in case. I will research the process for registering with Queensland too.

Thanks for your time

Have a great day
Old Apr 12th 2016, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

bra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nice

Once you are approved by the BOS, you have to decide which sector you want to teach in. In the NSW public sector, once you have had your interview with DOE, you will receive a weekly letter that shows all job vacancies for that week, and explains how to apply for them.

If you had had your career in Australia, you would now be qualified for an AP position. But I am guessing that your lack of experience in Australian schools will mean in practice that you will have to work your way up as a classroom teacher. For example, you won't be able to demonstrate experience of the way Aboriginal issues are handled in schools, a key factor in school life. Bear in mind that there is no shortage of qualified experienced local candidates for such jobs (they are dying to get out of the classroom).

Anyway, I suggest that you look at the highly accomplished column of the Australian teaching standards and see how many of the categories you can demonstrate. Without accreditation at this level you are going to have a hard time finding an AP position.

http://www.nswteachers.nsw.edu.au/Do...ocumentID=1122

I think this validation is really for your own good, because the job of a DP in Sydney high schools is only for the battle-hardened. You may find yourself hated by the kids and most of the staff if you do your job properly.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Hi bra_boy

Your post was very informative and helpful, thanks for your time.

I hear your point about lack of experience in Australian schools. This has also been communicated to me by one education agency I have already registered with - Sydney based. This - Aboriginal issues - will be a key focus area for research/ investigation for me going forwards. How I will address this, experience-wise, I am not quite sure at this stage. I will look to find a route through without having to work my way up again - I am a realist but I would not be prepared to drop salary/ spend more time retraining. I would reconsider a different role altogether if need be (but not English classroom teacher!). As they say...there's always a way

The teaching standards document is super helpful - many thanks!

Lots for me to be getting on with...

All the best
Old Apr 14th 2016, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi bra_boy

Your post was very informative and helpful, thanks for your time.

I hear your point about lack of experience in Australian schools. This has also been communicated to me by one education agency I have already registered with - Sydney based. This - Aboriginal issues - will be a key focus area for research/ investigation for me going forwards. How I will address this, experience-wise, I am not quite sure at this stage. I will look to find a route through without having to work my way up again - I am a realist but I would not be prepared to drop salary/ spend more time retraining. I would reconsider a different role altogether if need be (but not English classroom teacher!). As they say...there's always a way

The teaching standards document is super helpful - many thanks!

Lots for me to be getting on with...

All the best
I am not a teacher, but very nearly became a teacher in Australia last year - through teach for Australia. I also have a number of friends that are teachers in Australia.

The reality is, you are very unlikely to get a role similar to what you have now. Much more likely to find you have to go back into the classroom.

A permanent visa does permit you to do any sort of work you want, though I would suggest you seriously research what roles you may be able to get as alternatives if you aren't prepared to go back in as a regular teacher.