Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

second thoughts????

second thoughts????

Old Dec 27th 2006, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

andydon has a spectacular aura aboutandydon has a spectacular aura aboutandydon has a spectacular aura about
Default second thoughts????

Hi All

A merry Xmas to everyone and hope the new year brings you all good luck.

Right on with the reason for the post. We are currently waiting on our Visa (few months to go yet i feel) but i am getting worried about finding employment. We (wife, 2 year old and me) were looking at Brisbane but i am concerned about the amount of IT work there. I have over 10 years experience with an MCSE 2003 and CCNA qualifications but read on BE about people struggling to find work. I have looked at the recruitment web sites seek, mycareer and the courier mail but just wondered if someone with a similar sort of work history could help put my mind at rest?? Not looking for a great salary as we moving to get a better quality of life.

Cheers

AndyD
Old Dec 27th 2006, 8:16 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: second thoughts????

Originally Posted by andydon
Hi All

A merry Xmas to everyone and hope the new year brings you all good luck.

Right on with the reason for the post. We are currently waiting on our Visa (few months to go yet i feel) but i am getting worried about finding employment. We (wife, 2 year old and me) were looking at Brisbane but i am concerned about the amount of IT work there. I have over 10 years experience with an MCSE 2003 and CCNA qualifications but read on BE about people struggling to find work. I have looked at the recruitment web sites seek, mycareer and the courier mail but just wondered if someone with a similar sort of work history could help put my mind at rest?? Not looking for a great salary as we moving to get a better quality of life.

Cheers

AndyD
Dunno the answer but thought I'd bump it for you...
Old Dec 27th 2006, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I have no insight into IT jobs, but I have noticed that people have wildly different experiences of finding work - some people saying that it is fine as long as you will accept what is on offer, others saying that they will do anything but they feel discriminated against and cannot find jobs at all.
I think you should go in with a positive attitude but be prepared for a good few months with no income. Also be prepared to take a step back career-wise whilst you prove yourself and get some Aussie experience.
Old Dec 28th 2006, 9:21 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

There does seem to be plenty of mcse and ccna jobs out there. I was hoping to do an mcse whilst out in Oz and cross train into IT as ther aren't many jobs in my field (chip design) out there. i think you should worry more when there are very few jobs listed.