Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Second Storey Conversions

Second Storey Conversions

Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about
Default Second Storey Conversions

Hi

Just wondered if anyone had had a 2nd storey conversion done on a house. We're quite worried about the rocketing price of land in the Perth area and were beginning to wonder if we can afford any decent land at all. We already have a 4 x 2 and I was just wondering if it was worth doing a conversion and how much it costs as opposed to a new build?

I remember looking at a couple when we bought our house and have to say one in particular was really quite shoddy - damp was coming through in the ceiling on the ground floor.

Grateful for any info
Old Aug 17th 2006, 2:30 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second Storey Conversions

Originally Posted by Craig822
Hi

Just wondered if anyone had had a 2nd storey conversion done on a house. We're quite worried about the rocketing price of land in the Perth area and were beginning to wonder if we can afford any decent land at all. We already have a 4 x 2 and I was just wondering if it was worth doing a conversion and how much it costs as opposed to a new build?

I remember looking at a couple when we bought our house and have to say one in particular was really quite shoddy - damp was coming through in the ceiling on the ground floor.

Grateful for any info
The house I bought was originally a single storey & the owners added a 2nd level & cathederal ceiling about 15 years ago. Our neighbours say it was a hell of a job & cost the owners a fortune. They did a good job though. They used Jarrah for the roof beams & windows & sliding doors. I reckon if you can afford it, go for it. You will add a lot of value.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The house I bought was originally a single storey & the owners added a 2nd level & cathederal ceiling about 15 years ago. Our neighbours say it was a hell of a job & cost the owners a fortune. They did a good job though. They used Jarrah for the roof beams & windows & sliding doors. I reckon if you can afford it, go for it. You will add a lot of value.
Amazulu

Thanks for the reply. May have a look into it, the area we have bought in is really nice but well established so no land for sale in the immediate vicinity. I think it will be worth looking into at least.

Thanks again
Old Aug 18th 2006, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

Hi

Grateful for any info

Hi

We had an extention put on the back of our house about 2 years ago, basically we turned one of the childrens bedrooms into a playroom and added an extra room on the back of the house which is now another bedroom.

This cost $35K, we asked this builder and several others how much it would cost to put the bedroom on top, ie have a second storey - put our bedroom up there etc etc, Average price was $150K

HTH

K
Old Aug 18th 2006, 9:18 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Grateful for any info

It will be more than likely that you will need to get council approval to put an upper level on. It may depend on whether the council's area zoning plan allows it to happen. Check with them before you do it or they may force you to demolish it.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Chief wants one.

Could be a bloody minefield and I'm not looking forward to it. Might be better off getting rid of the pool and going back another 10m.

The view would be good though.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Food for thought there guys - thanks.

Kimi - the extension is an idea worth considering, we do have room at either side, probably about 4m at a guess.

Thanks again
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 12:34 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's something we're seriously thinking about but have no idea how to go about it, do we find out if the slab is strong enough to hold another floor first, or check with the council or find a builder interested...................