Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

second hand cars

second hand cars

Old Apr 10th 2011, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default second hand cars

hiya
moving to brisbane soon (hopefully)
where do i go for reliable, cheap, second hand cars? what should i be looking for, and is it feasible to get something under 10k?
Old Apr 10th 2011, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: second hand cars

Originally Posted by newkiwi
hiya
moving to brisbane soon (hopefully)
where do i go for reliable, cheap, second hand cars? what should i be looking for, and is it feasible to get something under 10k?
Cheap and 2nd hand? You've not shopped for cars in Aus before I take it lol.
Used cars are a rip off in Aus. Cost me $3500 more to buy a new car than a 2nd hand one that was 3 years old. Have new car warranty & know no one has been out in the bush or thrashed it.
Is very easy to get a car for under $10k, but could be buying a whole load of issues, so take someone who knows about cars with you. Personally would always go for a new car as they don't depreciate as quickly here as in UK.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

It depends on what type of car your looking for.
For the 10k you can pick up a 1 year old Hyundia Getz 1.4 which will still have 4 years warranty left on it.

They're very popular in Oz and tend to hold their value very well. The added advantage is great mpg with the price of petrol always going up.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 3:36 am
Just Joined

circling the drain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mvagusta
It depends on what type of car your looking for.
For the 10k you can pick up a 1 year old Hyundia Getz 1.4 which will still have 4 years warranty left on it.

They're very popular in Oz and tend to hold their value very well. The added advantage is great mpg with the price of petrol always going up.
Agreed, you could buy so much second hand car for your money in UK. I nearly thought about buying one and shipping but not worth the hassle.

We initially had a budget of $10k for a car but this went straight out the window. We looked at the car auctions where 2 y/old ex government Camrys were going for 13k but not sure if they were sold as they didnt meet reserve.

We ended up buying a brand new Lancer for $20 with the confidence of 5year warranty and breakdown.

The Getz would be a good buy for 10k.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 4:03 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

This website tells you about the statutory warranty that comes with every secondhand car bought from a licenced motor dealer. If you buy from a private seller you will almost certainly pay less but you will have no warranty whatsoever. Use VCheck to make sure the vehicle is what it is advertised as being and is not subject to finance.