Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Insurance for visiting elderly relatives

Insurance for visiting elderly relatives

Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Insurance for visiting elderly relatives

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get one way insurance for their return leg?

Thinking about getting them one way insurance from the uk for their outward leg (as many of us did no doubt) to cover the journey and whilst here rely on medicare for all/any necessary treatment. Problem comes finding insurance for the journey back.

As eldest is 74 and has some minor pre-exisiting conditions the number of insurers willing to do a 2-3 mth return cover is limited and they want anything from 350 pounds up to over 1000 pounds. As most of the visit is covered by medicare it seems unneccesary.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Great Escape is a jewel in the roughGreat Escape is a jewel in the roughGreat Escape is a jewel in the roughGreat Escape is a jewel in the roughGreat Escape is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Insurance for visiting elderly relatives

I'm interested in your comment regarding visiting elderly parents being covered by Medicare whilst they're here. Do you know exactly what they're covered for and how this works in principle?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

any uk resident is covered by reciprocal agreement which means they get any medically necessary treatment on producton of their passport. Nothing elective but why would you on holiday? Some people seem to think its emergancy stuff only but it is broader than that. we have had visitors use both gp's and A&E at no cost under this agreement.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Great Escape is a jewel in the roughGreat Escape is a jewel in the roughGreat Escape is a jewel in the roughGreat Escape is a jewel in the roughGreat Escape is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Safin
any uk resident is covered by reciprocal agreement which means they get any medically necessary treatment on producton of their passport. Nothing elective but why would you on holiday? Some people seem to think its emergancy stuff only but it is broader than that. we have had visitors use both gp's and A&E at no cost under this agreement.
Would they have to pay to see the GP? I've been here 16 months, but thankfully never had to visit the GP. But I thought you had to pay for this and then claim it back through medicare, assuming they don't bulk bill. Without a medicare card, how does this work for UK visitors?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 4:24 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get one way insurance for their return leg?

Thinking about getting them one way insurance from the uk for their outward leg (as many of us did no doubt) to cover the journey and whilst here rely on medicare for all/any necessary treatment. Problem comes finding insurance for the journey back.

As eldest is 74 and has some minor pre-exisiting conditions the number of insurers willing to do a 2-3 mth return cover is limited and they want anything from 350 pounds up to over 1000 pounds. As most of the visit is covered by medicare it seems unneccesary.
I looked at this too
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659373

Think you will find the one way insurance out is not so easy as you may think as there will be an age limit. I was stuffed as my dad is over 80!

Afraid that I could not find anything that would deal with this situation. Please let me know if you can find anything as my folks would be very keen to use for next year on whenever they next come out.

Scotty