Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Second Hand book shops

Second Hand book shops

Old Nov 7th 2003, 9:26 am
Badge

Default Second Hand book shops

Pete was talking about books in his box article.

I thought were EXCELLENT in Australia. Good prices.

Every town has one - or two, it seems.

They also do exchange.

Badge

Old Nov 7th 2003, 10:04 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dagboy & I both love bookshops - 2nd hand or new, we aren't fussy! Nothing better than browsing a good bookstore .

I love looking for old books that arent readily available in print anymore - alot of Nevil Shute books like A Town Like Alice & On the Beach & stuff like that spring to mind.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 10:24 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Dagboy & I both love bookshops - 2nd hand or new, we aren't fussy! Nothing better than browsing a good bookstore .

I love looking for old books that arent readily available in print anymore - alot of Nevil Shute books like A Town Like Alice & On the Beach & stuff like that spring to mind.
My wife and i spend literally hours poking around bookshops. Sus prefers new bookshops, i prefer secondhand. You never quite know what you are going to find in a secondhand bookshop

Mrs D, have you ever tried ebay? I've bought a few really nice early/out of print books from there, things like an 1890 copy of Darwins origin of species, which i got for a tenner!! Its mint aswell.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 10:48 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY

Mrs D, have you ever tried ebay? I've bought a few really nice early/out of print books from there, things like an 1890 copy of Darwins origin of species, which i got for a tenner!! Its mint aswell.
Arghhh are you kidding me??? I used to have an early copy of Origin of Species & the Decent of Man (not as early as yours though) but I lost it quite a few years ago, always wanted another one. Im gonna have to start searching ebay now!
Old Nov 7th 2003, 10:53 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Arghhh are you kidding me??? I used to have an early copy of Origin of Species & the Decent of Man (not as early as yours though) but I lost it quite a few years ago, always wanted another one. Im gonna have to start searching ebay now!
There is a 1900 set on ebay uk at the moment. Its 35 quid though, which is a bit steep...considering thier condition.

However....(i don't want a bidding war Mrs D ), there is a copy of the beagle journal on there for £2 at the moment, but im not going to bother going any higher that that.

The Decent of Man in Relation to Sex is a great book, my favorite that Darwin wrote. Very interesting stuff, especially about the folds on our ears
Old Nov 7th 2003, 11:07 am
Badge

There is a 1900 set on ebay uk at the moment. Its 35 quid though, which is a bit steep...considering thier condition.

However....(i don't want a bidding war Mrs D ), there is a copy of the beagle journal on there for £2 at the moment, but im not going to bother going any higher that that.

The Decent of Man in Relation to Sex is a great book, my favorite that Darwin wrote. Very interesting stuff, especially about the folds on our ears

How does that work, Pete?

Old Nov 7th 2003, 11:15 am
A Male Member

Originally posted by badgersmount
How does that work, Pete?
Do you mean Ebay?

Its an auction site. You simply register, and you can then bid on items listed. If you've not tried it, give it a whirl Good fun and you can get some great bargains. You need a bit of the old caveat emptor however, as there are plenty of rip-offs on there too.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 11:18 am
Rocket Scientist

Do you mean Ebay?

Its an auction site. You simply register, and you can then bid on items listed. If you've not tried it, give it a whirl Good fun and you can get some great bargains. You need a bit of the old caveat emptor however, as there are plenty of rip-offs on there too.
No, I think he meant the fold on the ears things LOL.

I think most of his stuff is fascinating, thats what I wanted to do when I went to uni ... be a geneticist, inspired by Darwins writings .
Old Nov 7th 2003, 11:20 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean Ebay?

check out this (it was ebay)-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1170724.stm

was an even sadder out come to the story in the end

Last edited by seang; Nov 7th 2003 at 11:23 am.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 11:22 am
Just Joined

LeaB is an unknown quantity at this point

For anyone in Brisbane (don't know about the other states), Lifeline has a book fest twice a year for second hand books - it's held at the exhibition centre at South Bank in January and July and you can pick up fairly decent children's books for as little as 20 cents.

Books are divided into categories and also by what condition they are in - ranging from fairly new (read once) to slightly used and covering all topics - fiction and non fiction. There are also a lot of vinyl records too for those who collect them.

Many people take empty trolley type suitcases with them to carry the books home in.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 11:31 am
A Male Member

Originally posted by seang
check out this -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1170724.stm

was an even sadder out come to the story in the end

Seang.

That s indeed a sad tale. You do have to be very careful with ebay, there are lots of people trying to con you out of your cash. I had somone outside of ebay, who was contacting people using ebay, trying to sell me a camera which is worth £6k, for £1k, but i had to wire him the cash first . No way i would even contemplate doing this...but i bet he catches some people.

Badgers.

LOL sorry mate

The deal with the folds on your ears, is basically somthing that has evolved from our time as apes. When you are a baby, you exibit what are called relic features, such as a tail. Another of these features, are the folds on the top half of your earlobe. As a baby, noone has these fold, and as the baby matures the top of the ear folds over. Now, the interesting thing, is when you look back down our evolutionary line. Chimps have the folds, but if you go back to baboons, they don't. Its simply part of the proof darwin used to show that his theories on evolution were true.

Bit i find interesting, is that some people (about 1 in 20) don't actually have very pronounced folds, and darwin suggested that this is proof of evolution in process. Thats what i find funny , basically he was saying these people are'nt as well evolved as the others.

Badgers, while you are in this area you really should try to get to Darwins house in Downe.....Its where half of my family is from too, my dad used to live about 50 yards from Darwins place. Its a fascinating place.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 12:47 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Seang.

That s indeed a sad tale. You do have to be very careful with ebay, there are lots of people trying to con you out of your cash. I had somone outside of ebay, who was contacting people using ebay, trying to sell me a camera which is worth £6k, for £1k, but i had to wire him the cash first . No way i would even contemplate doing this...but i bet he catches some people.

Badgers.
I have had a shop on Ebay now for 2 years and have a good rating. When I had a break for a week someone got into my ebay account and took it over, they listed 5 sony top of the range laptops for sale. Luckily I happened to check my account for payment status and found what had happened. It was a bit scarey as if I had not checked it 5 people would have been took for a ride. It seems they target people with high ratings and when they are not listing items hi-jack their account. In America people buy and sell money saving coupons. Some people will buy as many $6 coupons to up their rating then, would be buyers see the seller has a good rating and trusts them. The petty thief will list for sale high priced items only to take the money and run.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 1:19 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Bit i find interesting, is that some people (about 1 in 20) don't actually have very pronounced folds, and darwin suggested that this is proof of evolution in process. Thats what i find funny , basically he was saying these people are'nt as well evolved as the others.
...is that anything like the big toe theory?
Old Nov 7th 2003, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

The deal with the folds on your ears, is basically somthing that has evolved from our time as apes. When you are a baby, you exibit what are called relic features, such as a tail. Another of these features, are the folds on the top half of your earlobe. As a baby, noone has these fold, and as the baby matures the top of the ear folds over. Now, the interesting thing, is when you look back down our evolutionary line. Chimps have the folds, but if you go back to baboons, they don't. Its simply part of the proof darwin used to show that his theories on evolution were true.

We are all now sitting here checking our ears- bet ya you do too