cost of food

Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough
Default cost of food

Hi could anyone tell me what the cost of golden virginia is and lager out in australia. (stella artois etc) Do there have sweets out there for the kids and a asda out in australia.
thank you
ann marie
Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:49 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: cost of food

Originally posted by Paul&Ann-Marie
Hi could anyone tell me what the cost of golden virginia is and lager out in australia. (stella artois etc) Do there have sweets out there for the kids and a asda out in australia.
thank you
ann marie
Asda? Don't I wish! Oh, for a Tescos....

Coles, Woolworths (NOT like UK Woolies) and Franklins seem to be the biggest supermarkets around here.

Try the online shopping section at coles - they may have what you are looking for.

http://www.coles.com.au/
Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:55 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

thank you
ann marie
Ann Marie

I see you are new to this. Let me explain. Australia, though a country far, far away, has in recent years managed to become a civilised country, in many ways like other western nations. To that end they have indeed recently begun to sell sweets for kids, though you will find that these are generically referred to as lollies.

Despite over 200 years since the First Fleet landed at a disappointing Botany Bay and over 100 years since Federation, Australia however has still not become an identical twin of the UK. To that end, I'm afraid it does not have an Asda. Supermarkets, however, do exist but they go by unusual names to the British ear, namely Coles and Woolworths (particularly confusing to the recently landed immigrant), or even Action. You will not, however, find Stella Artois in said supermarkets. It is available, however, in bottle shops (offies) and hotels (pubs) where you will pay around $3 and $6 for a bottle of it respectively. Note that the Australian $ is not the same as an American one. As for Golden Virginia, I can't comment.

Old Nov 6th 2003, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Stella will be a more expensive beer over here, not readily available by the slab, and probably costing around $15-$17 for 6 bottles - not stubby size 375ml, but the one below that...330 I think

The local mass consumable beer, VB,XXXX,Tooheys New, Carlton Draught are all about 5% and would come by the slab at around $27-$30.

My wife is the choccy expert. she tells me the cadburys stuff is not the same as at home as they have something in it to stop it melting. She likes Dove bars.

Asda/Tesco etc as previously stated are non-runners. Coles or Woolies are the major players. I always think Franklins is a bit down market in direct comparison.
You'll find the supermarkets here are:
a) perfectly adequate
b) don't have big wide aisles like UK hypermarkets
c) have less choice in general.

We find that we use the butchers,fishmongers, bakery in the shopping centre a lot too. In many ways this is no bad thing.

In NSW they are only just starting to allow the selling of petrol at supermarkets. the seeling of ale in a supermarket is however by many considered to be the work of satan! I gather it's on its way, but hasn't happened near me yet.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 11:34 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jayr
Ann Marie

I see you are new to this. Let me explain. Australia, though a country far, far away, has in recent years managed to become a civilised country, in many ways like other western nations. To that end they have indeed recently begun to sell sweets for kids, though you will find that these are generically referred to as lollies.

Despite over 200 years since the First Fleet landed at a disappointing Botany Bay and over 100 years since Federation, Australia however has still not become an identical twin of the UK. To that end, I'm afraid it does not have an Asda. Supermarkets, however, do exist but they go by unusual names to the British ear, namely Coles and Woolworths (particularly confusing to the recently landed immigrant), or even Action. You will not, however, find Stella Artois in said supermarkets. It is available, however, in bottle shops (offies) and hotels (pubs) where you will pay around $3 and $6 for a bottle of it respectively. Note that the Australian $ is not the same as an American one. As for Golden Virginia, I can't comment.

ROFLMAO!!!!

Sorry ann-marie, no offence, but that was funny, cos I was thinking something similar . See the others comments for supermarkets etc, no beer in supermarkets up here in Qld, but Acacia Ridge (pretty sure thats where you are moving to) has a couple of very large pubs with large liquor barns (big off-licences). Acacia Ridge Hotel is one of them, they probably have a website with prices somewhere.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 12:47 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

thank you
ann marie
You'll find that British Lager (P.S it's called Beer over here... even though it is not real beer.. it's lager. Lager was invented by the Germans a cheap subsitute for real beer) ... anyway you'll find that the British brands are quite expensive here. I haven't got a clue how much stella is, but I buy Kilkenny from the bottle shops (the kilkenny on tap in the pubs is brewed in Aus.. the cans in the bottle shops are brewed in Ireland) Anyway, they cost over $70 for a slab sometimes $80.. mind you I got them on offer the other week at just $60.

If you like British lager you may find you will like Tooheys New and Tooheys old (old is my fav.. slurp) . As for four X I couldn't give an x for it. VB is another good one.

Anyway, sweets for kids? you are kidding right..lol you ought to see some of the fat little blighters out here

supermarkets - not in the British league.. they have less freezers and less choice. They always remind me of those run down ones in the UK.. like Kwiksave etc (Think that's how it is spelt)

thought I'd attach this photo... you got to watch these Aussies with your beer out here, thieving g*ts! This is for real, my hubby left a can on the shelf, got up in the morning and this praying mantis was on top of it... cheeky b*gger.

I think he thought that his prayers had be answered
Attached Thumbnails cost of food-mantis-1.jpg  
Old Nov 7th 2003, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by RichS
Stella will be a more expensive beer over here, not readily available by the slab, and probably costing around $15-$17 for 6 bottles - not stubby size 375ml, but the one below that...330 I think

The local mass consumable beer, VB,XXXX,Tooheys New, Carlton Draught are all about 5% and would come by the slab at around $27-$30.

My wife is the choccy expert. she tells me the cadburys stuff is not the same as at home as they have something in it to stop it melting. She likes Dove bars.

Asda/Tesco etc as previously stated are non-runners. Coles or Woolies are the major players. I always think Franklins is a bit down market in direct comparison.
a) perfectly adequate

We find that we use the butchers,fishmongers, bakery in the shopping centre a lot too. In many ways this is no bad thing.

In NSW they are only just starting to allow the selling of petrol at supermarkets. the seeling of ale in a supermarket is however by many considered to be the work of satan! I gather it's on its way, but hasn't happened near me yet.

Cadburys in Morton England have an overseas Dept the choclate is made different somthing to do with exporting..........so like Canada it sure is differant...........:scared:
Old Nov 7th 2003, 10:05 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Cadburys chocolate out there is horrible, tastes a bit like American chocolate. Chocolate bars are also very expensive compared to the UK. A snicker bar worked out about 50p at Coles when I was over there at Easter, so they are very expensive in terms of disposable income. They also have Ferrero Rocher because we flew out on Mothers Day and the lady on the X-ray machine in the airport spotted mine in my bag!

Jane
Old Nov 7th 2003, 10:09 am
tennisoz

Ann Marie

Love it

TennisOz

Old Nov 7th 2003, 10:10 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JaneandJim
Cadburys chocolate out there is horrible, tastes a bit like American chocolate.
Speak for yourself Jane, I think Cadburys chocolate out here tastes damn good .
Old Nov 7th 2003, 10:17 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Speak for yourself Jane, I think Cadburys chocolate out here tastes damn good .
I'll bring you some over in January and then you'll know what good is!
Old Nov 7th 2003, 10:52 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by JaneandJim
I'll bring you some over in January and then you'll know what good is!
Deal
Old Nov 7th 2003, 12:17 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

thank you
ann marie
I dont think they have golden virginia...well I didnt see any while I was out there 3 weeks ago...best take up a new brand...unless someone can correct me
Old Nov 7th 2003, 1:04 pm
tennisoz

Originally posted by RichS

a) perfectly adequate

Hang on, your wife eats soap? (Dove bars) Dove is the Masterfoods (Mars, Maltesers, Pedigree Chum etc) opposition to Cadbury's, I know. Chocolate is an interesting one and how people's tastes differ - the EU say the UK doesn't make chocolate because the cocoa content is too low. I must say I much prefer Lindt or Milka to anything in UK or Oz.

Seriously, I agree with your observations. In Victoria the supermarkets are permitted to sell alcohol. The supermarkets have also started giving discounts on fuel tied to your supermarket bill - Coles is aligned with one petrol company and Safeway with another.

I think it is also important for people to remember that probably the main reason why the supermarket ranges aren't as extensive as in the UK is that people tend to eat out more in Australia and there is more meat, fish, fresh fruit and vegetables and bread etc available from markets.

I'm a teetotaller (yes, I know, but I thought all Australians drink most people say) so what is the answer to this question. Why are Carlsberg, Budweiser, Millers, Holsten, Grolsch, Fosters, Castlemaine, Stella, Guinness, Murphy's et al so successful in the UK? Is it that local breweries do beer and the lager (pilsener) has to be imported or brewed under licence?

TennisOz

Old Nov 7th 2003, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

sashadan is an unknown quantity at this point

Ann Marie

rofpmsl

do u script for spike milligan