British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   SE QLD 4WD trip (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/se-qld-4wd-trip-490961/)

kevinbloomfield Nov 6th 2007 10:17 am

Re: SE QLD 4WD trip

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 5519951)
Have we gotta call the prick....

GROUP LEADER !

pmsl

We'll need to get the CB's fitted so Fluffy can give the orders out :-)

232Bar Nov 6th 2007 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 5519951)
Have we gotta call the prick....

GROUP LEADER !

pmsl

What about "Group Captain Campfire" :lol:

annqldau Nov 6th 2007 11:36 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 5519110)
25th November guys!

The exact time n'all that will depend on the tides, so we'll sort that out a bit nearer the day.

Will update the list of who's going a bit later on - its 4am at the moment and I can barely see the screen! :eek:

Oh, and everybody's welcome! I will also post a map link later so everyone can find it!

Tide times attached for that date...

see below

232Bar Nov 6th 2007 11:58 am

Originally Posted by annqldau (Post 5521136)

see below

I just realised HOW MANY POSTS YOU HAVE!!!!! Get offline and do something sensible instead of wasting your time on here all the time :curse:

kevinbloomfield Nov 6th 2007 11:58 am

So has anyone got a CB?

232Bar Nov 6th 2007 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield (Post 5521191)
So has anyone got a CB?

I have UHF, Andy does as well - not sure about anyone else.

kevinbloomfield Nov 6th 2007 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by 232Bar (Post 5521218)
I have UHF, Andy does as well - not sure about anyone else.

Maybe I need to fit one as well then, 10-4 good buddy

Timber Floor Au Nov 6th 2007 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield (Post 5521238)
Maybe I need to fit one as well then, 10-4 good buddy

was looking on EBAY

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2x-5W-15KM-Ex...QQcmdZViewItem

they are:

Description:
Frequency: 450-470MHz
Output Power: 5W
Channel number: 16
Receiving sensitivity: 0.18uV
Antenna anti-interfere: 50 ohm
Channel intermission: 25, 12.5 KHz
Range: Up to 15KM
Spurious : +- 2.5PPm
Temperature range of working: -30 degree ~ 60 degree
Two times frequency: -65dB
Audio Power: 500Mw (Audio distortion<=10%)
Operation Voltage: 7.2V DC +-20%
Dimensions: 126mmx 56mm x38mm
Weight: 385g (including antenna, battery) for each one
Belt clipper
Standard Charger
Optional Earphone Plus

would that pick up other CB channels?

Or wrong frequency?

Be cool on 4by trips, and around our block.

Any help gladly received?

Will do a separate post in Barby also.

StevO

232Bar Nov 6th 2007 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 5521308)
was looking on EBAY

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2x-5W-15KM-Ex...QQcmdZViewItem

they are:

Description:
Frequency: 450-470MHz
Output Power: 5W
Channel number: 16
Receiving sensitivity: 0.18uV
Antenna anti-interfere: 50 ohm
Channel intermission: 25, 12.5 KHz
Range: Up to 15KM
Spurious : +- 2.5PPm
Temperature range of working: -30 degree ~ 60 degree
Two times frequency: -65dB
Audio Power: 500Mw (Audio distortion<=10%)
Operation Voltage: 7.2V DC +-20%
Dimensions: 126mmx 56mm x38mm
Weight: 385g (including antenna, battery) for each one
Belt clipper
Standard Charger
Optional Earphone Plus

would that pick up other CB channels?

Or wrong frequency?

Be cool on 4by trips, and around our block.

Any help gladly received?

Will do a separate post in Barby also.

StevO

Bought mine at Olbis Communications on the Southside. GME TX3420. With 4db antenna I can't remember the exact price but it was around $100 less than ARB wanted for the same thing. Easy to fit and the remote head sits nicely on the dash centre without having the full unit on display. Already saved me a couple of speeding tickets when I've been going up and down the highway. I reckon that means it's already paid for itself.

Timber Floor Au Nov 6th 2007 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by 232Bar (Post 5521366)
Bought mine at Olbis Communications on the Southside. GME TX3420. With 4db antenna I can't remember the exact price but it was around $100 less than ARB wanted for the same thing. Easy to fit and the remote head sits nicely on the dash centre without having the full unit on display. Already saved me a couple of speeding tickets when I've been going up and down the highway. I reckon that means it's already paid for itself.

will have a look at them !!!!!!! cheers m8

Just looking on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GME-ELECTROPH...QQcmdZViewItem

Timber Floor Au Nov 6th 2007 5:14 pm

Also seen this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190168096441

for those after handhelds

kevinbloomfield Nov 6th 2007 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 5521936)
will have a look at them !!!!!!! cheers m8

Just looking on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GME-ELECTROPH...QQcmdZViewItem

I reckon the 3420 is the one to go for

jazzys Nov 6th 2007 5:26 pm

Are we dead set on the 25th guys? The weekend after would be perfect for me as we have VIP's over from the UK then.

The VIP's are my ex missus and daughter who I really want to impress in the hope that they stop here. We split up over the whole move to Oz and my son wants his mam and sister to be here with him.

And its my sons birthday the week after too. So that would be a memorable one for him alright.

Jazzys

Timber Floor Au Nov 6th 2007 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield (Post 5521950)
I reckon the 3420 is the one to go for

hmm me too....

currently at $265 ! not bloody bad !

Not sure how the detachable bit works... says needs a din socket.

Or can ya stow main unit under seat with lead from that to the fascia display up on the dashboard??

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer Nov 6th 2007 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by andicee (Post 5517379)
You beat me to it. Has a date been set? And for what it's worth I vote for BBQ, Eskying AND a quick(ish)pint.

Sunday 25th at the moment Andy. Could change .....

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield (Post 5520780)
We'll need to get the CB's fitted so Fluffy can give the orders out :-)

Mate, it's afree for all once you get on that beach - you'll see what I mean! Think the best thing is to arrange for everyone to meet at a certain place (for re-fuelling (Food & Beer))and let them go off and do there thing for a while!

Originally Posted by 232Bar (Post 5521125)
What about "Group Captain Campfire" :lol:

Has got quite a ring to it :p

Originally Posted by annqldau (Post 5521136)

see below

Thanks for that Ann - from this I can estimate that we should all meet at 1200hrs precise! Will give late arrivers a chance to get there and for peeps to talk about how fat their tyres are and how cool there suspension is and how they are gonna do 'this & that' to their 4bys! :)

Originally Posted by 232Bar (Post 5521190)
I just realised HOW MANY POSTS YOU HAVE!!!!! Get offline and do something sensible instead of wasting your time on here all the time :curse:

:rofl:

Originally Posted by jazzys (Post 5521966)
Are we dead set on the 25th guys? The weekend after would be perfect for me as we have VIP's over from the UK then.

The VIP's are my ex missus and daughter who I really want to impress in the hope that they stop here. We split up over the whole move to Oz and my son wants his mam and sister to be here with him.

And its my sons birthday the week after too. So that would be a memorable one for him alright.

Jazzys

Jeff - nothing is set in stone yet mate. If others are in agreeance, the date could easily be changed. Do you have a 4WD?

OK, here's a link to where we will be meeting. To explain briefly, as you approach the ocean/ beach carpark at Woorim on Bribie, you will see a small roundabout in front of you. Just before you get to that roundabout, you will see a large car park on your left hand side. This is the car park for the pub, bottlo etc....usually more spaces than the larger car park further on! We will be driving a Silver Ford Escape Rego # 154 ***

Direction wise, just come off the motorway at the Caboolture/ Bribie turn off and keep going - headed for Bribie/ Woorim. If anyone is unsure, PM me and I'll give you my mobile number to call on the day.

mrsdevilishdean Nov 6th 2007 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield (Post 5512391)
Our friends Andy and Jayne said they are coming along as well. They have their own car as does Mick and Tracey

Yep we're up for it

Andy and Jayne :thumbsup:

jazzys Nov 7th 2007 6:33 am

I'm borrowing a 4WD off timber floor Au.

Jeff

egghead4 Nov 7th 2007 7:47 am

oh wow, this sounds amazing. please take some photo's for us buggers still in uk. have fun:thumbsup:
bec

232Bar Nov 7th 2007 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 5522275)
hmm me too....

Or can ya stow main unit under seat with lead from that to the fascia display up on the dashboard??

My main unit is under the drink holders in the centre behind the gear lever. There is enough lead to mount the remote head on the top of the dash in the centre recess. Power is fed from the back of the 12v socket in the centre box and fed down the back to the main unit. (That's in a Pathfinder btw)

kevinbloomfield Nov 7th 2007 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 5522275)
hmm me too....

They are doing Buy Now at $365 so I reckon the one your'e looking at will go up (it's currently at $300). At $365 it's still cheaper than elsewhere though. Remember you need an antenna as well. ($50 - $100)
As 232Bar says, they are easy to fit. If you want something even easier have a look at the CB with all the controls in the Mic (GME)

Should be a good day out but we need to get the date fixed as we have got people coming over from Europe as well

thewoodz Nov 7th 2007 2:03 pm

just spotted this!
are many kids going? - son 15 daughter 12, we have a hilux 4x4 ute (!) ( i can just see MrW rolling on the floor with embarasment that i've asked such a question) would this be up for it?
cheers
Nicky

andicee Nov 7th 2007 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield (Post 5525248)
They are doing Buy Now at $365 so I reckon the one your'e looking at will go up (it's currently at $300). At $365 it's still cheaper than elsewhere though. Remember you need an antenna as well. ($50 - $100)
As 232Bar says, they are easy to fit. If you want something even easier have a look at the CB with all the controls in the Mic (GME)

Should be a good day out but we need to get the date fixed as we have got people coming over from Europe as well

This is definiely the unit to get. The GME 3420 hat is. It has since been superseeded by the fancy model (TX3440) with all the controls on the mic, but I reckon that means the price of the 3420 will come down. You'll also need a means of fixing it to your bull bar or gutter, so don't forget to order that at the same time.

I used this mob

http://stores.ebay.com.au/UHF-GPS-Gadgets-plus-more

and had no problems at all. The TX650 handhelds are also a neat pair of radios. I will probably lend one to Fluffy for the day, so will have one spare. First come etc. It's a right laugh giving each other abuse as you tear up and down the beach/highway/someone's front lawn!

Originally Posted by thewoodz (Post 5526113)
just spotted this!
are many kids going? - son 15 daughter 12, we have a hilux 4x4 ute (!) ( i can just see MrW rolling on the floor with embarasment that i've asked such a question) would this be up for it?
cheers
Nicky

Yep, we're dragging our 11 year old daughter along. We're really looking forward to this!

Andy

thewoodz Nov 7th 2007 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by andicee (Post 5526200)

Yep, we're dragging our 11 year old daughter along. We're really looking forward to this!

Andy

ah good!

we were only talking last week about seeing where we could drive on the beach:thumbsup:

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer Nov 7th 2007 3:36 pm

As most folks know, Jazzy Jeff has requested that the date be changed to the weekend after the 25th November. This is the 2nd December. Does anyone have any probs with changing the date - apart from the fact that they'll have to wait another week to play in the sand like children? :rofl:

If not, then it's easily changed - what say the masses? :)

232Bar Nov 7th 2007 3:48 pm

Not to put a downer on things, but you need a permit to drive on the beach. If you think you'll go more than once you can get one for a year for just over $100. Alternatively, you can still go and hope you don't get caught ;)

Permit costs are here

Applications forms are here

232Bar Nov 7th 2007 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 5526356)
As most folks know, Jazzy Jeff has requested that the date be changed to the weekend after the 25th November. This is the 2nd December. Does anyone have any probs with changing the date - apart from the fact that they'll have to wait another week to play in the sand like children? :rofl:

If not, then it's easily changed - what say the masses? :)

Dec 2nd works for us

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer Nov 7th 2007 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by 232Bar (Post 5526379)
Not to put a downer on things, but you need a permit to drive on the beach. If you think you'll go more than once you can get one for a year for just over $100. Alternatively, you can still go and hope you don't get caught ;)

Permit costs are here

Applications forms are here

Cheers G! I did put a link up earlier on in the thread.....guess it's buried somewhere now!

As 232 says, a permit is required HOWEVER, the fine 'IF' you get caught, is approx the same as the cost of the permit - s'up to you's! ;)

So, I'm gonna stick my neck out and change the date to the 2nd December - timings to be confirmed.

Hope this doesn't cause too many problems for people already signed up. If you have people visiting, bring em along...they'll have a blast. This day out requires a strict 'low level' of physical fitness, so even the olds can join in!!!!! :rofl:

jazzys Nov 7th 2007 4:16 pm

Hey, I don't want anybody to lose out by changing the date to the 2nd of Dec.

I was only thinking of ME, maybe thats why the wife left in the first place! :D

Jazzys

kevinbloomfield Nov 7th 2007 4:17 pm

2nd OK for us but that does mean we'll have 1 more in the car so not a lot of room for anyone else.

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer Nov 7th 2007 4:31 pm

2 Attachment(s)
OK troops, listen up http://bestsmileys.com/army/4.gif

Operation 'Bugger off up Bribie'

The Date:02/12/07

The Time: Low tide is at 0925hrs (s'gunna be an early one folks)!! Meet in car park at 0845hrs. High tide is then at 1541hrs, so we need to be off the beach probably an hour or two before this.
You are actually able to drive on the beach at high tide. This involves driving through sometimes, very soft & deep sand though, so unless yourself and your vehicle are up to it, prolly best to leave with the rest :)

The Meeting Place: Google Map of the rendezvous point

Plan of action: We will all meet in the pub/ bottlo car park as per the Google Map above. Dead easy to find, just drive to Woorim - before you get to the last roundabout before the ocean, we will be on the LHS.
Once everyone has arrived, we will head off towards Bribie Island National Park - approx a 2 minute drive away. Those people that wish to let some air out of their tyres may do so at this stage. This is not absolutely neccessary as most of the sand we will be driving on will be hard, but should you wish to 'play' then it is advisable. Remember, you will need a compressor to re-inflate at the end of the day. I know a couple of people going have one that they may let you use.
I thought it best that we then set off, following one of us that is familiar with the area. My thoughts are that we head up the beach and highlight the spot (by one of the lagoons (or not lagoons - depending on the weather)) where we will stop and 'make camp'. Those that wish to stop at this point may do so, the rest can basically let rip on the sand! :eek: This could culminate in everyone heading back to the meeting point and getting there barbies and stuff out for a good old feed/ sup/ chin wag!

At some point in the day, we will have to leave the beach - blame the tides! I will make sure that I know when this is and let everyone know in advance, so no worries about being stranded! There is a nice pub and beer garden back in Woorim. Last couple of times we have been there on a Sunday, there has been live music on in the garden. It's a nice spot with a park across the road for the nippers and an excellent chance to swap 'my tyres are fatter than yours' stories!!!

So......the list of attendees so far. If I don't have your name on it and you wish to go, let me know.

Fluffythecampfireslayer (Rob & Caroline)
TimberFloorAU (Steve & Debs)
KevinBloomfield (Kevin & Sam +1) + Mick & Tracey
Longreach (Mark & Tracy)
Jaycat (Dean & Karen + 2)
Annqldau (Ann & Graeme +1) - possibly
Andicee (Andy & Wendy +1)
Dolliedimples + OH + Kids
MrsDevilishDean (Andy & Jayne)
Jazzys (Jeff + the missus + 2)
Thewoodz (All four of 'em)
Shortlets (Sarah & Lee + 4) - pending room in other's cars. Anyone help?

Permits available here

Advice for driving on sand attached below message.

This is our car - look out for us!

soapy© Nov 7th 2007 5:15 pm

thats a fine list for the first outing mate:)

well done guys, hope to be joining you on another trip;)

SarahJane2007 Nov 7th 2007 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 5526449)

The Time: Low tide is at 0925hrs (s'gunna be an early one folks)!! Meet in car park at 0845hrs. High tide is then at 1541hrs, so we need to be off the beach probably an hour or two before this.
You are actually able to drive on the beach at high tide. This involves driving through sometimes, very soft & deep sand though, so unless yourself and your vehicle are up to it, prolly best to leave with the rest :)

Plan of action: We will all meet in the pub/ bottlo car park as per the Google Map above. Dead easy to find, just drive to Woorim - before you get to the last roundabout before the ocean, we will be on the LHS.
Once everyone has arrived, we will head off towards Bribie Island National Park - approx a 2 minute drive away. Those people that wish to let some air out of their tyres may do so at this stage. This is not absolutely neccessary as most of the sand we will be driving on will be hard, but should you wish to 'play' then it is advisable. Remember, you will need a compressor to re-inflate at the end of the day. I know a couple of people going have one that they may let you use.
I thought it best that we then set off, following one of us that is familiar with the area. My thoughts are that we head up the beach and highlight the spot (by one of the lagoons (or not lagoons - depending on the weather)) where we will stop and 'make camp'. Those that wish to stop at this point may do so, the rest can basically let rip on the sand! :eek: This could culminate in everyone heading back to the meeting point and getting there barbies and stuff out for a good old feed/ sup/ chin wag!

At some point in the day, we will have to leave the beach - blame the tides! I will make sure that I know when this is and let everyone know in advance, so no worries about being stranded! There is a nice pub and beer garden back in Woorim. Last couple of times we have been there on a Sunday, there has been live music on in the garden. It's a nice spot with a park across the road for the nippers and an excellent chance to swap 'my tyres are fatter than yours' stories!!!

So......the list of attendees so far. If I don't have your name on it and you wish to go, let me know.

Longreach (Mark & Tracy)
Andicee (Andy & Wendy +1) - possibly
Thewoodz (possibly)

Permits available here

We'll be up for coming if someone/a few people can distribute us (family of 6) in a few 4x4's...we are Sarah & Lee

andicee Nov 7th 2007 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 5526449)

Longreach (Mark & Tracy)
Andicee (Andy & Wendy +1) - possibly
Thewoodz (possibly)

Permits available here

Put us down for a defo mate. The 2nd is the wife's bday so she can't say I don't take her anywhere :D

Nice car...shame about the lack of bullbar, snorkel and UHF ;)

Andy

andicee Nov 7th 2007 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Shortlets (Post 5526588)
We'll be up for coming if someone/a few people can distribute us (family of 6) in a few 4x4's...we are Sarah & Lee

Should have a couple of spare seats if you can handle my driving :D

SarahJane2007 Nov 7th 2007 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by andicee (Post 5526593)

Oh thanks thats great:thumbsup:...for 2 small bums or 2 bigger bums?:rofl:

andicee Nov 7th 2007 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Shortlets (Post 5526600)
Oh thanks thats great:thumbsup:...for 2 small bums or 2 bigger bums?:rofl:

Big bums, small bums, it's all the same to me :D The bums will be in the back with my 11 year old daughter so I'll leave that to you.

Andy

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer Nov 7th 2007 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by andicee (Post 5526590)
Put us down for a defo mate. The 2nd is the wife's bday so she can't say I don't take her anywhere :D

Nice car...shame about the lack of bullbar, snorkel and UHF ;)

Andy

It's going on carsales.com.au after this meet Andy!

Being the secret off road hoon that I am - it's just not up to going where I wanna take it! As in, OFF the beaten track!! Too bloody scared I'll scratch it! Gonna get me some knackered old 4WD UTE to rag around and go camping and stuff, at wekeends! :p

Anyone wanna buy a low KM's 2004 Ford Escape AWD?? It's a minter!!

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer Nov 7th 2007 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by andicee (Post 5526593)

Wear your bicycle helmets as MINIMUM protection!

5 point harnesses also recommended! :rofl:

Oh, and you might need your wetsuits! ;)

SarahJane2007 Nov 7th 2007 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 5526609)
Wear your bicycle helmets as MINIMUM protection!

5 point harnesses also recommended! :rofl:

Oh, and you might need your wetsuits! ;)

:eek:OMG...it better be us big bums then!:rofl:...anyone volunteering to take the kids?

thewoodz Nov 7th 2007 5:48 pm

count us four in as well!