Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Scottish Highschool Qualifications

Scottish Highschool Qualifications

Old Apr 8th 2009, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

G1ZmO will become famous soon enough
Default Scottish Highschool Qualifications

Just a wee question with regards to our daughters further education prospects in Australia.

Our daughters are both currently in high school in Scotland and are taking a mixture of Higher and Intermediate 2 level exams.

I would assume that Standard grade and Highers are recognised in Australia for entry into further education courses but does anyone know if Intermediate (Int 1 and 2) are recognised?

[Int 1 and 2 are a kind of chopped down Higher qualification designed to give pupils a chance at a qualification above Standard grade where they may not achieve the Higher]

Thanks

Paul
Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:41 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Scottish Highschool Qualifications

Something I have for Victoria Education is:

Summary of overseas equivalent qualifications for VCE - Year 12

United Kingdom:
General Certificate of Education (GCE): 2 A-levels and 3 O-levels (Before 1986). Grades A-E are passing grades. Since 1986 – passes in 2 GCE A-levels and 3 General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) subjects

Scotland:
Scottish Certificate of Education (SCE). Marked on a scale of A-F, F being a fail. Three subjects passed in the Higher Grade

Sourced from:
www.vcaa.vic.edu.au
The Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority issues a Statement of Equivalent Qualification to people who have educational qualifications from overseas that are judged by the Authority to be equivalent to Year 11 or Year 12 level.
Cost is $24.50 as at 2008

Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:56 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

That information seems odd.......for one, there is no E grade at Higher, and a D grade also constitutes a fail (albeit only just). If they are suggesting that DDD grades at higher is equivalent to a VCE then I'd be very worried about what a VCE is worth!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:41 am
ABCDiamond

I got confused when I read that the Scottish Certificate of Education was phased out in 1994.

Old Apr 10th 2009, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

So it looks to me from that that to have the equivelent of an Australian year 12 education you need to have passed 3 Highers which may mean that the Scottish Qualifications Authority Int2 qualification would not be counted

I'm just trying to think on the options for further education for our teens once they get to Australia. They might not be able to get into a college course with Int2 quals.

Paul
Old Apr 10th 2009, 8:57 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G1ZmO
So it looks to me from that that to have the equivelent of an Australian year 12 education you need to have passed 3 Highers which may mean that the Scottish Qualifications Authority Int2 qualification would not be counted

I'm just trying to think on the options for further education for our teens once they get to Australia. They might not be able to get into a college course with Int2 quals.

Paul
The same website from above also lists year 11 equivalence in terms of Standard Grades:

Scotland:
Scottish Certificate of Education (SCE): five subjects passed in the Standard Grade. Marking is on a seven point scale (1 max to 7), 1 - being a pass.

...but then they state that only grade 1 is a pass - very harsh! Again seems like duff information. I'd recommend you get in touch with someone to find out for sure as the information on the website seems very out of date / very wrong!!
Old Apr 10th 2009, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Yes, I think I shall email them directly with the list of the Higher and Int 2 subjects that our girls are doing.

I'm sure they are a bit out of date. The Intermediate level was introduced a few years ago by the SQA and as far as I can determine it sits about 2/3 of the way between a Standard Grade and a Higher.

Will post how i get on with them.

Thanks for your help

Paul
Old Apr 10th 2009, 9:33 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
The same website from above also lists year 11 equivalence in terms of Standard Grades:

Scotland:
Scottish Certificate of Education (SCE): five subjects passed in the Standard Grade. Marking is on a seven point scale (1 max to 7), 1 - being a pass.

...but then they state that only grade 1 is a pass - very harsh! Again seems like duff information. I'd recommend you get in touch with someone to find out for sure as the information on the website seems very out of date / very wrong!!
There is something wrong at that website, I thought it was you at first, leaving a bit out

Spot the difference between the PDF and the website...

Scottish Certificate of Education (SCE): five subjects passed in the Standard Grade.
Marking is on a seven point scale (1 max to 7), 1-6 being a pass. ...
http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vce/vcere...s/equ11-12.pdf

Scottish Certificate of Education (SCE): five subjects passed in the Standard Grade.
Marking is on a seven point scale (1 max to 7), 1 - being a pass.
http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vce/vcere...quiv-yr11.html

It will be interesting to see the actual story...

Old Apr 10th 2009, 9:44 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
There is something wrong at that website, I thought it was you at first, leaving a bit out
Moi? Selective quoting? How very dare you!
Old Apr 10th 2009, 9:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
Moi? Selective quoting? How very dare you!
having only seen the pdf version at first, it did seem the only logical conclusion...
However, I have made mistakes with assumptions in the past, and am very glad I double checked before accusing....... I would otherwise have been highly embarrassed afterwards