Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth construction jobs ?

Perth construction jobs ?

Old Apr 8th 2009, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

lang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud of
Default Perth construction jobs ?

Hi all, i have been back in the UK now for 5 months and feel the draw of Oz pulling me again. However after reading through the forum threads i can't find anything positive about the job market out there.
Im a carpenter and would like the thoughts of any guys in the trade in Perth.
When i left Perth there seemed to be plenty of jobs for carpenters advertised in the WA newspaper. What's it like today ? Should i ignore the horror stories and just come back
Thanks in advance for your replies
Old Apr 8th 2009, 1:46 pm
K14
Forum Regular

K14 will become famous soon enoughK14 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Perth construction jobs ?

Originally Posted by lang81
Hi all, i have been back in the UK now for 5 months and feel the draw of Oz pulling me again. However after reading through the forum threads i can't find anything positive about the job market out there.
Im a carpenter and would like the thoughts of any guys in the trade in Perth.
When i left Perth there seemed to be plenty of jobs for carpenters advertised in the WA newspaper. What's it like today ? Should i ignore the horror stories and just come back
Thanks in advance for your replies
There's not alot of jobs around. Aussie builder I know hasn't been able to get work for a couple of months. They're trying to survive on Centrelink payments which apparently isn't enough. My b-in-law works on a building site and they've laid off some people and reduced overtime. When we arrived 6 months ago there were loads more jobs in the paper than there are now.

Of course there are some jobs but there are loads of people applying as there are more people out of work than 6 months ago.

Sorry to put a downer on it. Hopefully things will pick up at some point
Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

lang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the reply K14. Things don't look good :curse:
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:46 am

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point

is it worse in se queensland ?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 12:20 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Its very bleak here in Perth. Spoke to another brickie today who said he's had about 100 calls this week from people ringing to see if he had any work going....not good times
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Brigall is an unknown quantity at this point

Used to be about 70 jobs advertised every Saturday for electricians in the West Australian newspaper. Last week there was 9.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:23 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking with a Perthite based in Melbourne who told me it was taking up to 2 years to get houses built in Perth.

One poster was claiming $1000 per day as a brickie about 14 months ago, sadly they don't seem to be posting here anymore

Claims of tradies not even turning up for quotes, even when set time given.

How are things now from consumers point of view?
Old Apr 10th 2009, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Geelong Gent;7467513]Speaking with a Perthite based in Melbourne who told me it was taking up to 2 years to get houses built in Perth.

Our slab went down in January..............now ready for handover!
Old Apr 10th 2009, 4:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Speaking with a Perthite based in Melbourne who told me it was taking up to 2 years to get houses built in Perth.

One poster was claiming $1000 per day as a brickie about 14 months ago, sadly they don't seem to be posting here anymore

Claims of tradies not even turning up for quotes, even when set time given.

How are things now from consumers point of view?
Our builder had a plasterer booked in on Tuesday to do some work on our house - new guy for him as previous plasterer had let him down. Plasterer never turned up, no phone call, phone switched off - too busy or basically couldn't be arsed. Builder has also recently been let down by a ceiling fixer and a plumber.

A lot tradies still have a 'couldn't give a f**k' attitude despite the downturn.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 4:28 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sj oldfield;7468334]

Thats fantastic Sandra hope you enjoy your new home
Old Apr 10th 2009, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sj oldfield;7468334]

I know a tiler that won´t let you down Sandra and will be on site everyday working for at least 10hrs a day

Nicky
Old Apr 10th 2009, 10:26 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinner-dash
is it worse in se queensland ?
Yes. Some are still doing projects (but the hardware business is slowing down to almost a crawl), and some are having trouble paying bills.