Scooters in NSW

Old Oct 13th 2009, 6:11 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold
Question Scooters in NSW

Am total newbie on this topic, so please bear with me! I don't know a thing about scooters beyond being able to drive a 125cc automatic (for which I have never had lessons nor a licence). I am moving to NSW next month. I don't have a drivers licence for a car as I never learned to drive. I will be taking driving lessons but I know it takes a long time in NSW to log up hours etc, so it'll be well over a year before I can think about cars. Meantime I'll really need some mode of independant transport, so I thought perhaps a little scooter. I've done some searching online but seems laws are different in all states, some require driver's licence etc, also am not clear about all the cc stuff and so on.

In a nutshell - is there some little motorised vehicle I can get a NSW licence for and be up and running on pretty quickly? Doesn't matter if it's just a little hairdryer, so long as it gets me from A to B on my own!

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:04 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Scooters in NSW

What about scooter and automatic only licences?
Riders of automatic motorcycles under 160ml are exempt from the pre-provisional course.
However, they are required to attend and pass the pre-learner course and the MOST.
Riders of automatic motorcycles larger than 160ml will have their licence endorsed with a condition: “May only ride automatic motorcycles”. This condition will be valid until an unrestricted licence is issued.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...e_courses.html

http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-...ta-update.aspx

Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:57 am

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Don't really understand the quote - no clear idea what 'ml' is or 'MOST' but am sure I shall learn in due course cos happily have now established that I definitely do not need a drivers licence, and that after a very short competency course I can then apply straight away for a 12 month learner rider licence

Thanks very much for the links, here is another which may be of use to others:
www.scootercommunity.com.au
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Mate, I used to ride a scooter in my teens, Vespa PX 250, went to rallies and various do's in the UK, had a fantastic time!

However wild horses wouldn't get me on a scooter over here unless it was to run about around the city centre. With the mindless idiots that grace the main roads here, its bad enough in the car, let along on two wheels.

If you want two wheels and you're out in the suburbs and have to travel a fair bit, i suggest getting something with a bit of power to get you out of the way if need be.

Just my opinion! Good luck!
Old Oct 13th 2009, 1:33 pm

Hey Sharpy thanks for input. I don't know what I'm going to get as only just figured out it's a possibility for me. Terribly excited but also much investigating to do yet

Doesn't need to go over 80k/h as can't do more than that anyway on the learner licence, and it's just for zooming about town, not for any big trips. I just want something to tide me over while do my car licence over the next 18 months or so (yes I know I am the oldest woman alive that can't yet drive a car ). Also don't want to spend heaps for above reasons...maybe I'll get addicted and obsessed once I've had a taste but for time being these are my only criteria - any suggestions on what kind of 2 wheels to get would be most welcome!

Oh and also if anyone can share links for dealers in the Coffs Harbour area I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!