Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools - what they really like?

Schools - what they really like?

Old Mar 9th 2007, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Question Schools - what they really like?

Hello again, seem to spend all my time on here at the moment, very addictive!
Calling on those who are already in Oz, can you tell me more about the schools, we are probably choosing South Australia, Fleurieu Pensinsula (ish), our children are 8 and 10. We have read lots of good stuff about schools but just wondered what you found them like, average class sizes, general feeling of school and importantly how good or not were they at helping children to settle in.
I think I'm more worried about this than anything as its obviously important that the kids have a good settling in process, as much as will be possible.
Any info welcomed, good or bad.
Ta Sammy
Old Mar 9th 2007, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

grunty123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schools - what they really like?

We're not in SA.

The kids settled in well but the academic standards are pretty ordinary. In two years here, our kids have still to catch up with what they were being taught in their school back home.

On the plus side, on many days it is sunny and warm.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 8:52 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

School quality varies just like it does in the UK - you'll need to do some homework of your own in the area you're moving to in order to find out which ones are good. They start the kids later here and spend more early time on social aspects of school life, believing (quite rightly in my not so humble opinion) that learning to get along with each and generally behave is more important than being able to recite Shakespeare by the age of six.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 9:01 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

We're in the Adelaide Hills and are very impressed with our kids new school (girls 9 and 6). The academic standards are as high if not a little higher and they still seem to fit more into the timetable to provide a more rounded education (lots of PE etc) which is what we were hoping for. My girls have settled in fantastically and love their new school. Standards do vary though as in the UK.

Lou
xx
Old Mar 9th 2007, 9:29 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We're in Adelaide and the schools my children attend are great. Small class sizes, friendly staff and lots of time spent on outdoor physical activity. My son's year 6 class has 20 minutes of phys ed every day from 2:40 to 3:00. He's taking free music lessons (not just music class, but real lessons), learning Auslan as a second language and generally enjoying school for the first time in his life.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 9:38 pm
M J
BE Enthusiast

M J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
School quality varies just like it does in the UK - you'll need to do some homework of your own in the area you're moving to in order to find out which ones are good. They start the kids later here and spend more early time on social aspects of school life, believing (quite rightly in my not so humble opinion) that learning to get along with each and generally behave is more important than being able to recite Shakespeare by the age of six.
TOTALLY AGREE !!! If thats what Aussie schools can offer my son ... then you know what ... to hell with it if he's behind in the academic stakes in comparison to the Uk ! Manners,morals and good social skills are just as important !!
M J
Old Mar 9th 2007, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

we're in rural SA - class sizes are about 26 but varies up to 30 but then would have two teachers etc. I love how many more parents are involved .. plus there's some great elements - like debating club, local leaders club, focus on team building, assemblies are about the children sharing their projects and learning confidence, they get certificates for trying hard, being kind to fellow classmates etc.

As others say there's more focus on fittness plus my sons favourite lesson is Indonesian (he's 5). My children are bused into school (45 mins minimum each way) and I love the fact they know all their kids on their bus, is like a little community and a lot of them are much older but they seem to look out for each other!

My only bug bear this term is lack of communication but it's a teacher thing as last term was fine! Nevermind she's great with the kids and I guess that's whats important!

I was able to check out the school online but not all schools are into websites - but worth a look!

PS - I'd got major concerns they'd be backward with facilities, technology etc but in UK Edward had to share 2 PCs in his class with 36 kids - now it's one each and the only tech goodie then don't have is interactive white boards which isn't really an issue!
Old Mar 9th 2007, 10:16 pm
Now a Citizen!

seaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to all

We are in rural Victoria, just north of Melbourne. The school here is good at welcoming new kids. They have assembly every Monday morning in the playground, sing the national anthem, give out prizes for students of the week etc. They send out a newsletter every week. We are all kept well informed.

They also do far more sport. Both my children (one in prep and one in year 4) do about 2-3 hours of sport a week. My daughter who is in year 4 has homework most nights, and my son has homework to be done by the end of the week.

The class sizes are good, about 20 in each class. I would say manners and adhering to rules is impressed on the children, but certainly not to the detriment of the education. Both my kids have not taken a step back as regards their education.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, that's put my mind at rest, my daughter loves the idea of more PE, my lazy son just groaned!
Sammy
Old Mar 10th 2007, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Thanks guys, that's put my mind at rest, my daughter loves the idea of more PE, my lazy son just groaned!
Sammy
My lazy son (who hated PE and did everything he could to get out of it) won the 1500m in his school sports day this week
Old Mar 10th 2007, 10:59 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

And my non sporting 9 year old took part in an inter school beach volleyball tournament on Friday, and we've only been here 6 weeks.

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by Wendy
My lazy son (who hated PE and did everything he could to get out of it) won the 1500m in his school sports day this week
Old Mar 10th 2007, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weasy
And my non sporting 9 year old took part in an inter school beach volleyball tournament on Friday, and we've only been here 6 weeks.

Lou
xx

I'm amazed at the change in mine I think they gave me the wrong kid at immigration