Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools in western Melbourne

Schools in western Melbourne

Old Feb 18th 2007, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

flip60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools in western Melbourne

I am moving to Melbourne with my family early April. We will probably be staying in Point Cook as this is near to where my husband's work will be. I have a son of 9 years and my daughter is 11 (12 in November), and am trying to find out about the local school's. My daughter would have been starting Secondary School this September but I know the school years are different in Australia. Can anybody give me any information, can i choose where they go to school? Or is it like in Engand they go to the local school.

I am a secondary school Science teacher myself and will be looking for work after we have settled in. Any help with how I go about finding work would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schools in western Melbourne

Originally Posted by flip60
I am moving to Melbourne with my family early April. We will probably be staying in Point Cook as this is near to where my husband's work will be. I have a son of 9 years and my daughter is 11 (12 in November), and am trying to find out about the local school's. My daughter would have been starting Secondary School this September but I know the school years are different in Australia. Can anybody give me any information, can i choose where they go to school? Or is it like in Engand they go to the local school.

I am a secondary school Science teacher myself and will be looking for work after we have settled in. Any help with how I go about finding work would be greatly appreciated.
Phew I don't live there yet but we're headed to Point Cook, it'll also be near where my husband will be working.
There were about 4 schools that we looked at - possibly more than that I know one was in the pipeline to be built too, probably there by now.

The schools seem to be zoned i.e you have to live in a certain catchment area of Point Cook to attend a certain school?

My eldest is nearly 9 then 7 and then would be 2. the school we were most impressed with was the Carranballac College Point Cook near Boardwalk I think it is, their twinned with another school the other side of the new estates called Jamieson. Can't find the website but i'm sure if you google it it'll come up. They also seemed to cover all of the new estates at Point Cook towards Seabrook and Sanctuary Lakes.

Hope this helps

Jen
Old Feb 19th 2007, 2:14 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

Try asking this question on Britvics as there are a few families who now live over that way. http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/

Lorraine
Old Feb 19th 2007, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flip60

as a teacher you need to be registered with the VIT - Victorian Institute of Teachers. Its fairly easy but you need to get paperwork organised NOW!

http://www.vit.vic.edu.au

you will need to download this form:

http://www.vit.vic.edu.au/files/documents/971_Reg_A.pdf

good luck and if you need ANY help, PM me.

Lisa.xx