Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools/Units for Hearing impaired children

Schools/Units for Hearing impaired children

Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

sanam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools/Units for Hearing impaired children

We are looking to migrate to Australia and have a 8 yr old child who has received a cochlear implant 4 years ago. Can anyone guide us to some good schools that will take such children and mainstream their education? We are looking for references of schools in NSW,Vic, SA. It would be great if we could get contact details of any such children you know so that our decision on where to move in is easier?

Many thanks for your advise.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:24 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Schools/Units for Hearing impaired children

Hello

Hearing Australia (I can't remember if I am allowed to post weblink so just google them) are probably a good place to start looking. The deal with hearing aids, etc, for children and I assume will also help you with cochlear implants (my little one just has aids so I am not so familiar with implants, sorry).

In Melbourne there is a school for the deaf, but I am not aware of any other special schools. This school has a good website and from memory takes children from prep to year 12.

There is a yahoo group for Australian parents of deaf or hearing impaired children. You might get some good advice there. It is called phidcoz but you have to register with yahoo to be able to access it.

Good luck

M
xx
Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mika24me
Hello

Hearing Australia (I can't remember if I am allowed to post weblink so just google them) are probably a good place to start looking. The deal with hearing aids, etc, for children and I assume will also help you with cochlear implants (my little one just has aids so I am not so familiar with implants, sorry).

In Melbourne there is a school for the deaf, but I am not aware of any other special schools. This school has a good website and from memory takes children from prep to year 12.

There is a yahoo group for Australian parents of deaf or hearing impaired children. You might get some good advice there. It is called phidcoz but you have to register with yahoo to be able to access it.

Good luck

M
xx
Thanks M.
Will look around and check in yahoo groups too !
Sanam
Old Feb 28th 2009, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sanam
We are looking to migrate to Australia and have a 8 yr old child who has received a cochlear implant 4 years ago. Can anyone guide us to some good schools that will take such children and mainstream their education? We are looking for references of schools in NSW,Vic, SA. It would be great if we could get contact details of any such children you know so that our decision on where to move in is easier?

Many thanks for your advise.

Sorry can't help you as our daughter is now 19 and did not move over till she finished school in the UK. She has had an implant here and her perception of things is that over here people treat her as a normal person, being deaf is no big deal. She did not think this in the UK.
I hope someone can give you some answers, when we applied way back in 1993, we contacted the SA education department and they were very helpful. Unfortunately back then they failed my daughter's medical so we were unable to make the move, but finally made it here in 2005

Amanda
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

This seems to list them in all states http://www.aussiedeafkids.org.au/find-a-school.html

Many kids with cochlear implants are actually supported in mainstream schools afaik. The units and special schools seem to be more for kids who use signing as their main mode of communication. (At least in ACT they are anyway)
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Amanda. You mean back then they did medicals for 4 year old kids too ? And failed medical because of deafness? That concerns me.
In 2005, were there any issues in her medicals?
Thanks
Sanam
Old Feb 28th 2009, 11:15 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Thanks Amanda. You mean back then they did medicals for 4 year old kids too ? And failed medical because of deafness? That concerns me.
Thanks
Sanam
Dont know of the extent of impairment you say your child experiences but I have worked with 2 children within the state school environment here that have hearing impairment.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

This school is in Adelaide.

http://brightonps.org/
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Sanam
Yes we all had to have medicals, and they failed her, but apparantly back then they were wanting to encourage asian migration rather than european migration so found any reason to turn you down. Also everything was done by letter as no one had the internet and we found out later that we could have appealed, a migration lawyer told us that they have a set figure that if they think you will cost the state more than they turn you down, and obviously deafness is nowhere near.
In 2005 she had her medical and it was referred to Canberra but they passed it no problem. We obviously were not meant to come in 1993.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Dont know of the extent of impairment you say your child experiences but I have worked with 2 children within the state school environment here that have hearing impairment.
He has a severe to profound hearing loss which has now been corrected by a cochlear implant. Speech and language is picking up now. Yes, I have heard about deaf children being integrated into regular school environment- that is precisely our motivation to migrate to AU. Thanks
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by seayork2002
This school is in Adelaide.

http://brightonps.org/
Thanks Seayork !! Looks good.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:45 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I have heard about deaf children being integrated into regular school environment- that is precisely our motivation to migrate to AU.
My OH is the expert on this, not me, but my understanding is that this is true generally of the Australian approach to kids with Special Educational Needs in any sense - there seems to be a reluctance to de-mainstream anyone if at all possible. (But others are better informed about this than me).
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Hi

we have 2 hearing impaired students in our school and recieve support from education queensland to assist us and them. It works well

Tracy
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

I am tempted to send my son there and he is not hearing impaired (I know that doesn't help)

Thanks Seayork !! Looks good.