Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools in Northern Sydney

Schools in Northern Sydney

Old Sep 3rd 2011, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

julesdownunder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools in Northern Sydney

I need help!!!!! My husband's job is relocating to Sydney in October and I am trying to sort out schools for my two children. My boy is 9 and my girl is 7. We are hoping to live somewhere easily commutable to the city and close to the beaches (a typical Brit then..). I don't know anyone in the area so I am relying on the internet.

Because we may be returning back to the UK in 3 years I have ruled out the public schools because attending a public junior school would require my son to move up to senior school before we return home and I want to avoid too many changes for him.

My first choice of school was St Lukes Grammar in Dee Why but they don't have a space for my son. I have managed to get places for both my children in Pittwater House, however I have seen a couple of negative comments on one of the forums. I am going to see Oxford Falls but on the Government website it doesnt seem to achieve good acedemic results.

I am feeling desperate! Obviously want to get it right first time. Does anyone send their children to either of these schools? Or does anyone have any experienced advice?
Hoping to hear from you soon...
J.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in Northern Sydney

I can't help with advice I'm afraid but have you tried using the search function within this forum?

You may find other BE people have asked similar questions, or given answers etc!

Hopefully someone can help you! School choices are so hard, it helps to get as much information as possible!

Good luck.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

shussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really nice

Hi,
I'm afraid I can't help with specific schools but have been told that Frenchs Forest and Davidson are particularly family friendly Northern Beaches suburbs. It might be worth looking at schools in and around these suburbs.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 4:14 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesdownunder
I need help!!!!! My husband's job is relocating to Sydney in October and I am trying to sort out schools for my two children. My boy is 9 and my girl is 7. We are hoping to live somewhere easily commutable to the city and close to the beaches (a typical Brit then..). I don't know anyone in the area so I am relying on the internet.

Because we may be returning back to the UK in 3 years I have ruled out the public schools because attending a public junior school would require my son to move up to senior school before we return home and I want to avoid too many changes for him.

My first choice of school was St Lukes Grammar in Dee Why but they don't have a space for my son. I have managed to get places for both my children in Pittwater House, however I have seen a couple of negative comments on one of the forums. I am going to see Oxford Falls but on the Government website it doesnt seem to achieve good acedemic results.

I am feeling desperate! Obviously want to get it right first time. Does anyone send their children to either of these schools? Or does anyone have any experienced advice?
Hoping to hear from you soon...
J.
Our friends daughter goes to Pittwater House. All very 'proper' and has great marketing...but...they have longer holidays then public schools here and so you have the burden of extra care. They have been extremely frustrated at the lack of progress their daughter is making. They acknowledge that it could be just their daughter but it is a consensus amongst other parents in their class. They pay extra for things like Mathletics and Reading Eggs, which are online support and learning activities for kids, which really annoys them as our son's school, Public, gives it to them for free!!
Also, one very worrying thing they have learnt recently, which sounds very Children of the Corn to me, is for birthdays it is 'de rigour' that instead of buying presents you all contribute $20 to the child so that they can buy their own present!!
They have also had a run of supply teachers with no notice and they just feel that for the money they are paying it is not providing good value at all.
Nice uniform though!!
Have you looked at the Catholic schools? They are semi private and fee paying but less than most Private and also less than Public, you are obviously aware that for attending public school in NSW you will have to pay $4500 per child per annum?
By the way, I understand about moving your son issues etc, but, if he is with a group of kids who are also moving school at the same time, i.e. from Junior to Senior school, then that would negate any problems as he would be with a peer group wouldn't he?? Moving back to UK, if you did that, would incur such a move anyway and thats 3 years away.
I'm also assuming you are on a 457 Visa?
Old Sep 6th 2011, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your input everyone. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Paddyo

Can you tell me what year your friends daughter is in. I wonder if the junior school is considered to be the same standard are the Grammar. Do you know which school she would considered as an alternative due to experience she has had with Pittwater?

As for the catholic schools I am not sure there are any in the north of Sydney. I would be very happy to send the children to a public school, however I am very aware that we would have to find a house in the catchment area of a good school.

When you look on the government website they give a school a rating with the top being 100. Obviously 100 is fantastic but I cant work out if a rating of 90, 92, or 95 is still good. Have you got children? Do they go to a public school? If so are you and your kids happy with it?

Sorry for all the questions.
Jules
Old Sep 6th 2011, 10:34 am
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all

I also believe catholic schools will only accept if places are available, but I may be wrong. You will find a lot of top school in Sydney hitting the 90's in score. So I wouldn't read to much into those. Of course lower than that then it may be more cause for concern.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 2:06 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

In red

Originally Posted by julesdownunder
Thank you for your input everyone. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Paddyo

Can you tell me what year your friends daughter is in Kindergarten/Year 1. I wonder if the junior school is considered to be the same standard are the Grammar Don't know. Do you know which school she would considered as an alternative due to experience she has had with Pittwater?Most definately, they have now decided to move her to Manly West, its a popular school but I am not sure why, seems rather big and oversubscribed to me

As for the catholic schools I am not sure there are any in the north of Sydney What??? Bloody loads of them!! lol. I would be very happy to send the children to a public school, however I am very aware that we would have to find a house in the catchment area of a good school. Look, do NOT put the school before your location as it will be disasterous. For the Northern Beaches area of Sydney a lot of the schools have good ratings, few problems and a good parent/teacher comms link. Public school on a 457 would cost you $4500 per annum per child so its an obvious avenue to look at catholic or private, but, I put it to my 457 sponsor that as it was a compulsory fee for a temp resident I should not be financially suffered for it. They agreed and so pay my compulsory Public school fees. If I went private or catholic I would have to pay. Last years results had Public schools outshining Private schools in the Northern Beaches, it is a good area. Pick a place you ALL like to live in, including commuting to work and then go for it. Choosing a place purely for a school may disadvantage the adults when there are so many good school options around.

When you look on the government website they give a school a rating with the top being 100. Obviously 100 is fantastic but I cant work out if a rating of 90, 92, or 95 is still good. Anything above 90 is a great markHave you got children? YesDo they go to a public school?Yes If so are you and your kids happy with it?Without a shadow of a doubt, our son loves his school. His first was a very good school in a prime residential area (Seaforth), good teachers but very expensive, had 4 Kindy classes and a bit up itself, he is now in a smaller beachside town school, all extras are provided by the school and its the pupil who is important, not the schools reputation...which is actually extremely good.

Sorry for all the questions.Never apologise, questions are good, answers are just opinionated!!
Jules
Old Sep 6th 2011, 2:08 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by MrJenkins
I also believe catholic schools will only accept if places are available, but I may be wrong. You will find a lot of top school in Sydney hitting the 90's in score. So I wouldn't read to much into those. Of course lower than that then it may be more cause for concern.
True, but they have to accept 10% of non denominational entries. I tried with one school and they were very open about things, I could of pushed it and got our son a place but in the end our local Public school was far and above the better option!
Old Sep 7th 2011, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Fantastic information. Thank you so much for taking the time.

I am over next week to see the schools. I feel better informed and therefore more confident that I am going to make the right decision.

Thank you again

Jules