Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools and fees

Schools and fees

Old Oct 3rd 2005, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

POMPEYUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools and fees

Hi, I've got three children of Schools age 5-10, and I've heard that many State schools make a charge of approx $5000, is this true?
Anyone moved their family to Briabane and been through the thinking on schools for their children. Any advice would be most welcome.
I guess if you enter on a working visa, you get charged but on a permanent visa, its free of fees?
Old Oct 4th 2005, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

goldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nice
Default Re: Schools and fees

Education in Australia is free in the state system - well so they say, but you do have costs such as uniforms, books, camps, excursions and a voluntary contribution as I last remember. I am sure there are other costs but not $5,000 a year! Some cheaper independent and catholic schools charge this amount per child per year.

We gave up on the public system any years ago as one daughter who needed additional support was just swept under the carpet.

I know there are state schools out there now offering many of the same things you can do in a private school. I would be looking for that type of school as well!

Gayle
Old Oct 4th 2005, 3:30 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by POMPEYUK
Hi, I've got three children of Schools age 5-10, and I've heard that many State schools make a charge of approx $5000, is this true?
Anyone moved their family to Briabane and been through the thinking on schools for their children. Any advice would be most welcome.
I guess if you enter on a working visa, you get charged but on a permanent visa, its free of fees?
I think you might have got this amount from the various threads that talk about the fees charged to temp visa people (eg 457, not 136 PR) of approx $4500. This is a fee I know is charged in NSW I do not know all the other states but I am pretty sure QLD does not make this charge on the 457.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 3:54 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

state schooling to PR's (your visa) in Qld is free except for school uniform and some books you need to buy like stationery and stuff.

generally weve found the schools to be of a good standard but there are a range of views and like anything it depends on which individual teacher in which invidual school

you will find it easy when you get here and drive round to find an area to live the local state school(s) - there will be more than one - will have various reputations etc, just by asking estate agents or locals or on here.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 4:50 am
sunseekers

sunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to all

we are going in on a sir visa to SA and we have been told we have to pay fees for the first 2 years ,they can be as much as £2000 per child per year , but that is in places like sydney ,each school can charge what it likes apparently , a more usual fee seems to be about $300 per child per term in adelaide .I HOPE !! :scared:
Old Oct 4th 2005, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

Foster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant future

Our daughter is in Year 9 at a state school in Adelaide and the fees from May 2005 to December 2005 were approx $180 plus obviously uniform.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:25 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

I am in QLD on a 457 (temp) and there is no extra charges so I am charged the same as a PR or citizen.
3 kids aged 4, 8 and 14 all go to a local Catholic School, 4 & 8 cost around $90/month** each and 14 year old $200/month. (Should be $100/month but you get a discount with 2 kids at the same school)
The schools are brilliant in my opinion (as well as the kids and my wife)

Andrew