Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many of you visited Oz before you immigrated?

How many of you visited Oz before you immigrated?

Old Oct 2nd 2005, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

ramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really nice
Default How many of you visited Oz before you immigrated?

Hi

I am curious as to how many of you did a "reccy' trip before you uprooted your world to live in Australia.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 12:08 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: How many of you visited Oz before you immigrated?

Originally Posted by ramac
Hi

I am curious as to how many of you did a "reccy' trip before you uprooted your world to live in Australia.
I personally was happy to go blind, but the missus wanted to check it was all paved with gold as they tell us ... but with hindsight it WAS a good thing I reckon, and would advise if funds permit!
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We did last summer (winter there) 2 weeks in Victoria, 1 week in NSW, not enough time but got a real feel for Australia. Totally loved it and wishing the next few years away until we're all out there again. Not sure we'd have considered moving without seeing what it's like for ourselves first.
Seen lots of family that we have there, can't express how positive trip was but it still had the odd hiccup and shock $25 each to go the the local cinema ouch thought everything was cheap :scared: Also found out how cold and wet it can get in winter was a bit of a shock, but not moving just for the weather.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 12:11 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Not us. We came cold but did lots and lots of research first.

We were lucky cos we love it!
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 12:23 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
$25 each to go the the local cinema ouch
$25 sounds a lot, but I dunno. My daughter went to the cinema when we was out there (Gold Coast) in July, paid $8, altho dunno if she paid kids prices as she's 15, but looks older.

everything was cheap :scared:
Hmmm ...

Also found out how cold and wet it can get in winter was a bit of a shock, but not moving just for the weather.
As I say we went to the Gold Coast as that's where we'll be heading, but in the middle of Winter there we had 19 out of 21 days with clear blue skies and 23 - 28c temps! ...
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 12:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Paul2004
23 - 28c temps! ...
Oh that was during the day!! ..... dropped to about 10 at night!
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I lived in Queensland as a teenager, but had never been to WA,
I sent my hubby here for 3 weeks to friends of ours, he loved it, that was good enough for me.
I did not want to spend all that money, wanted to save it for when we got here, we made the right decision, we love it here. Denise
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 12:58 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

not us!! no regrets either
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wengerboy
not us!! no regrets either
I came here for a Holiday, to visit my newly migrated cousin, way back in 78/79. It's because of that lucky visit, That I ran into a young student Nurse having a pot or two at the old broady, down here in Melbourne. It was a holiday romance, that changed my life.

A Year later she was visiting me in England, a year after that we married in England, and came here.

My Equivalent of a Pools or Tattslotto win I call it
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Weird thing about this, is almost 27 years later, My 2nd oldest 20 year old Daughter, is doing the same in reverse, Visiting the UK, to check out 'her future'

What goes around, really does come around eh ?
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 1:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I came here for a Holiday, to visit my newly migrated cousin, way back in 78/79. It's because of that lucky visit, That I ran into a young student Nurse having a pot or two at the old broady, down here in Melbourne. It was a holiday romance, that changed my life.

A Year later she was visiting me in England, a year after that we married in England, and came here.

My Equivalent of a Pools or Tattslotto win I call it
Nice! ...
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I have visited family here a few times. When my husband and myself were validating our visas, as we had to as our house had not sold, we visited Sydney, Melbourne, and Canberra, having our base in Brissie as that is where my family is. We hired an apartment on the Gold coast to relax by the beach as well.

We hired a car and drove. It was a fantastic trip. We also drove along the great ocean road, which was beautifull and certainly worth doing. We did a few touristy things, such as watching the little penguins on Phillip Island, they are so cute, and seeing the old and new parliament buildings in Canberra. I can also say I have been in the Sydney opera house.

We enjoyed the trip and it confirmed in our minds that Brisbane is the right place for us. We enjoyed the other cities, but both felt they could never be home. Since moving here we have done far less sight seeing. Which I suppose is normal enough, esp as we have a new baby. So the trip was well worth it for us.

Katie
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 7:46 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go Ramac.......a poll I did in August.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=poll
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 10:36 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Techinally yes. Hubby had lived there for a while but I only saw the place once I'd validated the Visa.....Loved it though!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 11:24 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Yeah, we went twice, 3weeks in Dec/Jan 03/04 and 5weeks in Aug/sept 05.
First time was just to check out the place. Enjoyed it but did a lot of holiday things, Theme parks etc. The recent trip was meant to be our 'move to oz Trip' but haven't sold house in UK. Did a lot of 'info search' ie schools, house's, cars. So when we finally go we know what schools the boys are going to where we want to live etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.