Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools- Better watch yourself for PC behaviour

Schools- Better watch yourself for PC behaviour

Old Mar 23rd 2006, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools- Better watch yourself for PC behaviour

Well we explained in some depth the problems were having to the school, not interested its over the internet so its not their business. So on one hand must report to school, however when you report it its not school business

Someone called it childish, well thats as may be but its a huge problem here right now and I only have one opinion on that if children are being bullied at school, somebody should do something.

Its hard to discuss anything on here without it becoming UK V OZ, still have one opinion on that, both places have the same problems. Right down to bandaids, weve been phoned about minor cuts at school and nope they cannot use any medical aid, not even a bandaid, only thing allowed is an ice pack! Thats been in for over 2 years here now. They even have to phone you if say the kids are playing tennis and a ball hits your child, just to let you know it happened in case there is any come back later.

I personally would not home school my boys are all very social creatures they have made great friends here but I know one thing, since this bulling PC system came in kids know darn well they can get away with anything really, and like Sandra said earlier its devastating for a child that is being bullied to be treated the same as the kid doing it.

Funny thing is my mumsy chat about " jack the hacker " worked really well, the kids are all fine now, all getting along again no probs, but hell no we cant have that its not PC is it. Anyway I know were not the only ones having probs now, the schools been issued with "surf the beach not surf the net" posters, quite amusing I thought after todays nonsense
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 10:28 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lacey21
Another thing I wanted to ask as well, what about homeschooling? Are you permitted to take them out of school and provide them with a tutor? Or is this just not allowed.

Cheers guys

Lace xxx
Yes home schooling is an option if you have a capable parent at home or can afford a tutor. The school have accepted that my daughter can remove herself from school at any time by going to the school office and getting mum dad or big brother to sign her out. BUT Because of the truancy rate (recorded absences) during the year and the fact we are taking an extended break this July holidays we need to school to agree we will not face disciplinary action if her absences go past 20 days. Basically I need the school to agree that bullying is happening and that in order to protect my daughter she needs to be removed at such times.

PS...do not think this is an Aus thing at all, just our current experience. The school she attend is one of the highest ranking state schools in NSW and my son is achieving very well there. I believe all the world over this problem is happening now and to a different extent in the past.

PS Hutch....blattering the bully did not help my daughter! Just got her suspended.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 10:40 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Well we explained in some depth the problems were having to the school, not interested its over the internet so its not their business. So on one hand must report to school, however when you report it its not school business

Someone called it childish, well thats as may be but its a huge problem here right now and I only have one opinion on that if children are being bullied at school, somebody should do something.

Its hard to discuss anything on here without it becoming UK V OZ, still have one opinion on that, both places have the same problems. Right down to bandaids, weve been phoned about minor cuts at school and nope they cannot use any medical aid, not even a bandaid, only thing allowed is an ice pack! Thats been in for over 2 years here now. They even have to phone you if say the kids are playing tennis and a ball hits your child, just to let you know it happened in case there is any come back later.

I personally would not home school my boys are all very social creatures they have made great friends here but I know one thing, since this bulling PC system came in kids know darn well they can get away with anything really, and like Sandra said earlier its devastating for a child that is being bullied to be treated the same as the kid doing it.

Funny thing is my mumsy chat about " jack the hacker " worked really well, the kids are all fine now, all getting along again no probs, but hell no we cant have that its not PC is it. Anyway I know were not the only ones having probs now, the schools been issued with "surf the beach not surf the net" posters, quite amusing I thought after todays nonsense
Unfortunately Oz takes its cues from the UK!
Bullying was worse before "damn PC" -!
Its not about PC-its about an adult threatening a kid!
Remember prior to "PC" people had there kids chucked down mines-its amazing that the folks that criticise "PC" are usually the ones that benefit from it.

Last edited by Breezey; Mar 23rd 2006 at 10:44 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting in this thread that the Google inspired ads at the bottom throw this up!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/Parents/Wor...786&chk=PNdHju

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and I'm not getting at anyone. You are the headteacher for a day or week (or month or year, however long it takes). How do you go about tackling individual incidents of alleged bullying (whether real as in these couple of cases or not they begin as alleged unless a teacher sees actual evidence of it)?

OzTennis
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Breezey
Unfortunately Oz takes its cues from the UK!
Bullying was worse before "damn PC" -dingbat!
Its not about PC-you goose-its about an adult threatening a kid!
Remember prior to "PC" types like you had there kids chucked down mines-its amazing that the trash that criticise "PC" are usually the ones that benefit from it.

No adult has threatened any kid so untwist your underwear and calm down.

Ive seen and commented on how good the bulling procedures worked in OZ prior mid last year when the no blame thing was brought in. That system worked, the PC one doesnt.

Go off and use your trash/goose/dingbat insults in your own thread, or come back and comment when youve had 6 years of experience using the OZ education system and seen both PC and Non PC systems in place

And Oz does not take its cues from the UK why does the UK have to be brough into every single discussion it was a thread about living in australia, see the forum name, australia, believe it or not australia is quite capable of making its own mistakes and producing some undesirable kids/adults and problems all of its own, just like the UK.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 11:16 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jad n rich
No adult has threatened any kid so untwist your underwear and calm down.

Ive seen and commented on how good the bulling procedures worked in OZ prior mid last year when the no blame thing was brought in. That system worked, the PC one doesnt.

Go off and use your trash/goose/dingbat insults in your own thread, or come back and comment when youve had 6 years of experience using the OZ education system and seen both PC and Non PC systems in place

And Oz does not take its cues from the UK why does the UK have to be brough into every single discussion it was a thread about living in australia, see the forum name, australia, believe it or not australia is quite capable of making its own mistakes and producing some undesirable kids/adults and problems all of its own, just like the UK.
There is piled-high evidence that bully ringleaders do so due to their own insecurities and problems-it is futile to ignore this.
I did go to school in Oz-and the system were bullies are threatened warned and punished is useless.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Breezey
There is piled-high evidence that bully ringleaders do so due to their own insecurities and problems-it is futile to ignore this.
I did go to school in Oz-and the system were bullies are threatened warned and punished is useless.
So it's all about education, right? Have anti-bullying lessons, have an anti-bullying policy, just change people's upbringings and attitudes and the problem is solved? i.e. 'lip service'. I don't have the answers incidentally, it's too complex an issue to solve, at best we can only hope to reduce or minimise it and make people aware of it.

I thought I spotted bullying in this thread!

Without wishing to trivialise the issue, an oft repeated joke is about the headteacher who was asked how he solved bullying - he belted the offenders with the weighty anti-bullying policy document. I also say he to include the term she (well you've got to cover yourself haven't you).

There is interesting research on bullying by gender and there are surprising findings for bullying by girls which often takes on the full range from emotional to physical. That new camera phone that most pupils have these days is often the device used for the bullying (texting threats etc).

OzTennis
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:06 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by OzTennis
So it's all about education, right? Have anti-bullying lessons, have an anti-bullying policy, just change people's upbringings and attitudes and the problem is solved? i.e. 'lip service'. I don't have the answers incidentally, it's too complex an issue to solve, at best we can only hope to reduce or minimise it and make people aware of it.

I thought I spotted bullying in this thread!

Without wishing to trivialise the issue, an oft repeated joke is about the headteacher who was asked how he solved bullying - he belted the offenders with the weighty anti-bullying policy document. I also say he to include the term she (well you've got to cover yourself haven't you).

There is interesting research on bullying by gender and there are surprising findings for bullying by girls which often takes on the full range from emotional to physical. That new camera phone that most pupils have these days is often the device used for the bullying (texting threats etc).

OzTennis
Look, the boy who enjoyed watching girls go no.2 (ie defecate) at my kids old school turned out to be from an abusing family-its always the wy.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:12 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
PS Hutch....blattering the bully did not help my daughter! Just got her suspended.
Yea, but I bet she felt better for it!! (just joking with you - probably badly )
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:54 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Yea, but I bet she felt better for it!! (just joking with you - probably badly )
Listen you bully....I am peeing myself laaaafing at your response!

Nope ....she felt worse.....cause she has always been taught hitting out is losing out. Silly miss turned herself in to the office!

This time though....they believe her thank goodness.

My daughter does Tae Kwon Doe (Kong Su) and is pretty happy about her abilities (protecting herself) but because of her temper-reactive she has been at fault for the past year. It has taken over a year to prove she is not a neurotic deaf child.

I love the fact you have an opinion on this subject - so you should. Please print off and store your answers and when it comes to you dealing with your child when older you need to email me with the answers cause I have none.

And please if any of this has come across negative to Aus or the world...please go jump on someone else cause I am past it!

Cheers
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 1:46 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I love the fact you have an opinion on this subject - so you should. Please print off and store your answers and when it comes to you dealing with your child when older you need to email me with the answers cause I have none.
lol! I shall make a note in my 2012 diary I think it's great she's got some martial arts skills - being able to look after yourself is crucial in this day and age .. not (just) at school, but anywhere.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

dedwards is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm, this reminds me of a similar thread on another (UK) forum that I read. There are a number of relevent anecdotes...

www.ybw.com/forums

Personally, i'm surprised at how many people seem to think that bullying is less likely in 'good' schools. My girlfriend and I went to different high schools which happened to be sited over the road from each other. Hers was RC and considered one of the best in the region while mine was very bog standard. The upshot is that she (and her sister) were severely bullied (including physically) while I (and as far as I know, my sister) were not. The best explanation I can find for this is that my school was at least four times larger than my gf's so while she could be singled out, the potential victims in my year group were able to band together and simply ignore any abuse that came our way.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I was aware of the rule about not speaking to other children or parents directly. My daughter is being bullied at school - the school have admitted as much this week and I have a small sense of relief that some of my daughters awful behaviour over the past 15 months has a cause the school know about - I always knew and believed.

But the anger and frustration for the most part is still there for my husband and I. Because she loses her temper and gets angry she has been suspended and warned often about her inapproriate behaviour (I do understand she is wrong in losing her temper) but the kids doing the bullying are aware of her reactions and that is part of the baiting game to get her to react. No other child has come forward to support her - too scared, so it is my daughters word against the others and therefore the school have no proof.

Solution for now - I requested my daughter is allowed to leave the school when the tension gets too much, so she can remove herself completely from doing any harm. She is told she is wrong and knows it but she has no self esteem left and no way of dealing with it.

My son is in the same school and is not allowed to say anything to these girls - although I found out yesterday he has told one of them to lay off his sister. I now await the school phone call to say my son is suspended for acting inappropriately - I hope it doesn't happen but am pretty sure it will.

I really like the school my daughter is at - it has a deaf unit, one of the only ones in NSW and the reason we live in this area. But it looks like our only choice is to remove her from the school and hope she manages in another school.
After my daughter's school did nothing about her bullying, I approached the 9 yr old little shite and told him that I'd take his heart out with a spoon if he even looked at my daughter again.
It worked and he never told anyone. I'd have denied it if he did.

Edit: to add that this was after 2 years of bullying, meetings with Head, parents, talking with child concerned. It only came to an end when I spoke to him.

Last edited by iPom; Mar 23rd 2006 at 4:36 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Ah ... here we go. Guess they're not much better at tackling it ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4232643.stm

I think stats is often meaningless. You have to look closely at the policies in place and decided whether they need watching or not. It is ridiculous to proudly state that there is less bullying somewhere, but fair enough to question a policy that might be about to be reviewed anyhow. Jensen, you shouldn't be put off getting a visa!

Choose the best schools in the best areas and you will be off to some sort of start, all things being equal. That is one of the reasons why we moved to Australia, we can afford a good school in a good (outstanding) area to get our young ones off to a flying start. Its not just the school, its the setting and the attitude.

Secondary is harder, but by moving we have reduced our housing costs considerably, and bought ourselves about 10 years worth of time; and quality of living. In 10 years we will have the funds for private, even if it means using home equity - although it may not come to that. It's almost too far away to really consider. I know bullying can happen in a good school, but a bad school - well it speaks for itself.

As for the jap-slapping- interesting one!

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; Mar 24th 2006 at 12:27 am.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

jan&co will become famous soon enough

my daughter was harrassed in her year 10 class recently. She stood up to the group and shouted at them, but broke down in tears as she did. The teacher was aware, and a couple days later told the class that the case would be taken as
"harrassment" if it happened again. I wanted to call the school as a parent to notify them, but the daughter said to let her settle it herself. Any experience of such nature anyone?

She said the harrassment has stopped, but of course, the group is not any friendlier. She is a tough cookie and we are proud of her for standing up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.