Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools- Better watch yourself for PC behaviour

Schools- Better watch yourself for PC behaviour

Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Schools- Better watch yourself for PC behaviour

The internet game runescape is huge at our kids school, many are on it from 3pm till bedtime, total obsession with it to the extent some kids are now hacking into others accounts.

Yesterday our 9 year old was picked as a target by a bully who named him as the hacker, and said its jack whos getting into the other kids accounts, kids being kids many belived this and as a result he came home really upset after what I suppose could be called verbal bullying.

So this morning, keeping in mind its a computer game, keep it light, it will all be a passing phase soon as we dropped him off, I asked the kid who started the rumour not to use Jacks name for something he hasnt done, told jacks good mates it wasnt him and left. Everyone happy, excpet the principal who rang me an hour later to 'warn' me about speaking to other children :scared:

According to the school they have 'rules and regulations' that prevent parents from speaking to any child other than your own. That we are in the wrong despite this being a request from us not a telling off or abuse or something. Then when I asked what they intend to do about it they deny all knowledge of runescape yeah right half the schools hooked on it! deny the kid in question has done anything wrong (using our name maybe, or spreading lies that get a kid bullied might have been a clue). Yet the problem is know to just about every mum ive met at the school, kids being bullied over it all the time.

Its interesting that in 6 years of education here Ive never seen any rules and regulations that say this and if I'd gone in guns blazing I could understand it, so be warned dont speak to other kids even nicely its against the 'rules and regualtions' which I havent seen yet!!
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 1:07 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools- Better watch yourself for PC behaviour

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The internet game runescape is huge at our kids school, many are on it from 3pm till bedtime, total obsession with it to the extent some kids are now hacking into others accounts.

Yesterday our 9 year old was picked as a target by a bully who named him as the hacker, and said its jack whos getting into the other kids accounts, kids being kids many belived this and as a result he came home really upset after what I suppose could be called verbal bullying.

So this morning, keeping in mind its a computer game, keep it light, it will all be a passing phase soon as we dropped him off, I asked the kid who started the rumour not to use Jacks name for something he hasnt done, told jacks good mates it wasnt him and left. Everyone happy, excpet the principal who rang me an hour later to 'warn' me about speaking to other children :scared:

According to the school they have 'rules and regulations' that prevent parents from speaking to any child other than your own. That we are in the wrong despite this being a request from us not a telling off or abuse or something. Then when I asked what they intend to do about it they deny all knowledge of runescape yeah right half the schools hooked on it! deny the kid in question has done anything wrong (using our name maybe, or spreading lies that get a kid bullied might have been a clue). Yet the problem is know to just about every mum ive met at the school, kids being bullied over it all the time.

Its interesting that in 6 years of education here Ive never seen any rules and regulations that say this and if I'd gone in guns blazing I could understand it, so be warned dont speak to other kids even nicely its against the 'rules and regualtions' which I havent seen yet!!
Strangely enough, we had a similar occurence explained this week.
This was between us and the parents of another pupil. All very amicable and pleasant, but just to chat about an incident that occurred between our children.
School heard about this and advised us that we are NOT meant to talk directly to each other about incidents but need to discuss with the school independently.

Re: Runescape. Same here too but died down now. My daughter was cyber-mugged after amassing lots of goodies, she was conned into giving it all away. I don't get it and it sounds quite funny but my daughter was pretty upset!
Again, the school is vociferous about cyber-bullying and the Internet chat-rooms etc should be not used by children etc.

Strange world we live in

Andrew
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 1:44 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I was aware of the rule about not speaking to other children or parents directly. My daughter is being bullied at school - the school have admitted as much this week and I have a small sense of relief that some of my daughters awful behaviour over the past 15 months has a cause the school know about - I always knew and believed.

But the anger and frustration for the most part is still there for my husband and I. Because she loses her temper and gets angry she has been suspended and warned often about her inapproriate behaviour (I do understand she is wrong in losing her temper) but the kids doing the bullying are aware of her reactions and that is part of the baiting game to get her to react. No other child has come forward to support her - too scared, so it is my daughters word against the others and therefore the school have no proof.

Solution for now - I requested my daughter is allowed to leave the school when the tension gets too much, so she can remove herself completely from doing any harm. She is told she is wrong and knows it but she has no self esteem left and no way of dealing with it.

My son is in the same school and is not allowed to say anything to these girls - although I found out yesterday he has told one of them to lay off his sister. I now await the school phone call to say my son is suspended for acting inappropriately - I hope it doesn't happen but am pretty sure it will.

I really like the school my daughter is at - it has a deaf unit, one of the only ones in NSW and the reason we live in this area. But it looks like our only choice is to remove her from the school and hope she manages in another school.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
Strangely enough, we had a similar occurence explained this week.
This was between us and the parents of another pupil. All very amicable and pleasant, but just to chat about an incident that occurred between our children.
School heard about this and advised us that we are NOT meant to talk directly to each other about incidents but need to discuss with the school independently.

Re: Runescape. Same here too but died down now. My daughter was cyber-mugged after amassing lots of goodies, she was conned into giving it all away. I don't get it and it sounds quite funny but my daughter was pretty upset!
Again, the school is vociferous about cyber-bullying and the Internet chat-rooms etc should be not used by children etc.

Strange world we live in

Andrew

Most of the kids up here are being given money by the parents to sign up for advanced memberships, mine have been told NO, the free version is causing enough trouble. Kids being bullied over an internet addiction at 8 and 9 is ludicrous.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sandra
I was aware of the rule about not speaking to other children or parents directly. My daughter is being bullied at school - the school have admitted as much this week and I have a small sense of relief that some of my daughters awful behaviour over the past 15 months has a cause the school know about - I always knew and believed.

But the anger and frustration for the most part is still there for my husband and I. Because she loses her temper and gets angry she has been suspended and warned often about her inapproriate behaviour (I do understand she is wrong in losing her temper) but the kids doing the bullying are aware of her reactions and that is part of the baiting game to get her to react. No other child has come forward to support her - too scared, so it is my daughters word against the others and therefore the school have no proof.

Solution for now - I requested my daughter is allowed to leave the school when the tension gets too much, so she can remove herself completely from doing any harm. She is told she is wrong and knows it but she has no self esteem left and no way of dealing with it.

My son is in the same school and is not allowed to say anything to these girls - although I found out yesterday he has told one of them to lay off his sister. I now await the school phone call to say my son is suspended for acting inappropriately - I hope it doesn't happen but am pretty sure it will.

I really like the school my daughter is at - it has a deaf unit, one of the only ones in NSW and the reason we live in this area. But it looks like our only choice is to remove her from the school and hope she manages in another school.
Sorry to hear that aside from the latest incident our school has gone to a no fault bulling approach. Basically the kids doing the bashing or abusing are no more in the wrong that the victim Its more PC bumph no doubt.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 1:52 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I didn't just mean to hijack with my woes - meant to tie this into your thread Jad n Rich - the bullying extends to MSN and other chat groups it is wicked and serious. I have persuaded my daughter to drop her internet usage as much as possibly and now scan her accounts and she is only allowed access if parents present or another older responsible person. She feels we are being mean but if other children act out this way we are only left with limiting her to keep control.

I believe removing the access totally is going to be the final remedy.

Cheers
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 1:54 am
Gone Senile Member

Most of the kids up here are being given money by the parents to sign up for advanced memberships, mine have been told NO, the free version is causing enough trouble. Kids being bullied over an internet addiction at 8 and 9 is ludicrous.
Yes I have heard of this no fault! Makes perfect sense to me while my daughter is sobbing her heart out and saying there is no point in living
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry I didn't just mean to hijack with my woes - meant to tie this into your thread Jad n Rich - the bullying extends to MSN and other chat groups it is wicked and serious. I have persuaded my daughter to drop her internet usage as much as possibly and now scan her accounts and she is only allowed access if parents present or another older responsible person. She feels we are being mean but if other children act out this way we are only left with limiting her to keep control.

I believe removing the access totally is going to be the final remedy.

Cheers
Your not hijacking my thread its great you replied weve had our share of woes, one son has dyslexia, oh sorry cant even call it that here pity they dont they might actually help kids with it if they did.

Mine are encouraged to use the computer for homework and msn (overseas mates) and family, but runescape has crept in all their mates are members and when they are over its straight on the puter.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes I have heard of this no fault! Makes perfect sense to me while my daughter is sobbing her heart out and saying there is no point in living
Jeez Sandra you make my problems feel fairly trivial now, I am so sorry.

Main experince we had with the no fault policy was son 2 was kicked in the clackers by some lunatic that had recently ran naked across the oval at knock off time. Sorry if that makes anyone laugh but its true, anyway we had to sit there while our son peer mediatior , student councillor , and injured party with the swollen clackers was told about school policy along with the naked lunatic, both were equally to blame
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 2:10 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear that aside from the latest incident our school has gone to a no fault bulling approach. Basically the kids doing the bashing or abusing are no more in the wrong that the victim Its more PC bumph no doubt.
I've always had trouble with this no-fault bullying policy. We had it back at dd's primary in the UK. How the hell can the little buggers that go round kicking and punching be no more to blame than the poor kids they're beating up? The two that bullied my dd back in the UK had *issues*, we were told. One had a father that couldn't keep his pants done up and had fathered several kids in the village, and was abused himself, and the other had lost a brother, knocked down and killed by a car outside his house. So yes, they had grief in their lives, but that's no reason to go and beat the hell out of other children. And issues or not, it's still wrong - but I suppose PC must win the day.

I do wonder what the teachers think of these PC policies though.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 4:20 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Kids being bullied over an internet addiction at 8 and 9 is ludicrous.
I agree with you totally on that one....what angers me is...why are kids allowed to be on the internet from 3pm till bedtime. Kids of that age should not only be limited to the amount of time on the net, they should also be supervised when they are on it.

They have to learn how to use it responsibly, and the only way that they can learn this is by us parents showing them the rights and wrongs.

My kids have a computer in their room which is linked up to the internet, but they would never ever dream of putting it on without asking first, they know that if they tried to then it would be removed and they would not get access to it at all. They wont even turn the bloody telly on without asking first...something I instilled in them from a very early age, but a pain in the arse if u want a lie in and they come wake u up to ask to put telly on lol.

They have an email address each to keep in touch with their friends in Scotland...but even with the e-mail I always check it first to make sure they havent received any junk mail etc as we all know what that can contain.

What they do sometimes is log into yahoo messanger and chat to each other(they only have each other and me and Dad on their IM), and I find this is an excellent way to improve their typing and computer skills.

My daughter was physically bullied at her new school because she was quiet....but when the girl who bullied her went one step too far, she got a bloody shock, my duaghter picked her up and threw her in somebodys garden lol. She got taken to the principles office the next day, and just said well she's been doin it for a year and one can only take so much...so I gubbed her......oh yeah and Im sorry I didnt realise she had landed in a jaggy bush haha!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 4:30 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps a warning letter from your solicitor in regards sueing for putting your boy in a situation whereby he has suffered emotional hardship? ie using PC to your advantage?
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 6:41 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Schools- Better watch yourself for PC behaviour

Sounds like British ex-pats will feel right at home.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 6:48 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Sounds like British ex-pats will feel right at home.
predictable as ever

G
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 7:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about written rules and regulations but all the schools I actually know of have this as an unwritten rule and it is certainly frowned upon. 9 times out of 10 it would be acceptable but there would always be the 10th time when something unpleasant could happen. Goes along with not taking other children home if the school or the parent doesn't know.

If friends children have had problems with another child the parent has always spoken to the other parent before involving the school but that only works if the other parent is a reasonable human being

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.