Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools around Terrigal areas.

Schools around Terrigal areas.

Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Hayes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schools around Terrigal areas.

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
Well make sure you stay in contact!

Me and my (english) girlfriend are heading back in August - should be settled back into Terrigal by October. I used to live opposite the beach (near the little roundabout at Terrigal Pub/off licence - was nice living opposite the beach - I haven't got that place anymore but we are going to try and get something in that area again - as close to the beach as we can before we have to put too many zero's on the cheque!!!

Keep your eye on this website:

www.realestate.com.au

which has properties to rent and buy - can give you an idea on how much things are going for etc.
Hi Andy. I have just found out that for work I will be based in Redfern, Sydney. My family and I have set our hearts on living in Terrigal and would like to know the commute times by car. In the morning I would be starting around 7am and finishing at 7pm. I am asking you directly as you seem to have an indepth knowledge of the area. Regards, Seamus.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:54 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Commuting by car to Redfern!

The problem with Redfern is that its on the southern side of the Harbour – but I expect that if you are planning on being at work by 7am you will probably need to leave home before 5.30 – perhaps a bit earlier.

At that time you should breeze along Terrigal Drive/The Entrance Road and be on the freeway pretty quickly (west of Gosford – Somersby interchange) – everyone else will be in bed at half 5!!

The only real problem that you might encounter is some early morning traffic in Sydney. But I think you’ll prob get past most of it for a 7am start. Even then you should be mainly past the busy Pacific Highway Section before it gets too busy!

Although Redfern looks as though its in a shit of a place to get to its actually not that bad – through the tunnel and exit just before the eastern distributor! When you get to the end of the Sydney-Newcaslte Freeway follow No 1 roads all the way!

Your journey home might be a bit more interesting depending on what time you leave.

Overall I am thinking somewhere near to 2 hours each way (with the home journey being a little longer– you might get away with it being an hour and a half in the morning (if you miss the rush-hour).

I once did it from Terrigal to the city in 50 minutes (it was 3am though)

Don’t forget to get yourself a e-tag for the toll! As of this Monday there is no cash toll for the tunnel and you will need an e-tag on your car!

What sort of work you do?? I presume you have a company car to be relying on it rather than the train??
Old Jul 13th 2007, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Commuting by car to Redfern!

The problem with Redfern is that its on the southern side of the Harbour – but I expect that if you are planning on being at work by 7am you will probably need to leave home before 5.30 – perhaps a bit earlier.

At that time you should breeze along Terrigal Drive/The Entrance Road and be on the freeway pretty quickly (west of Gosford – Somersby interchange) – everyone else will be in bed at half 5!!

The only real problem that you might encounter is some early morning traffic in Sydney. But I think you’ll prob get past most of it for a 7am start. Even then you should be mainly past the busy Pacific Highway Section before it gets too busy!

Although Redfern looks as though its in a shit of a place to get to its actually not that bad – through the tunnel and exit just before the eastern distributor! When you get to the end of the Sydney-Newcaslte Freeway follow No 1 roads all the way!

Your journey home might be a bit more interesting depending on what time you leave.

Overall I am thinking somewhere near to 2 hours each way (with the home journey being a little longer– you might get away with it being an hour and a half in the morning (if you miss the rush-hour).

I once did it from Terrigal to the city in 50 minutes (it was 3am though)

Don’t forget to get yourself a e-tag for the toll! As of this Monday there is no cash toll for the tunnel and you will need an e-tag on your car!

What sort of work you do?? I presume you have a company car to be relying on it rather than the train??
Thanks for the quick reply, Andy. I am a paramedic in London joining the Ambulance Service NSW commencing 3rd Sep. I am hoping to eventually get a posting Central Coast but found out this morning I will initially be at Redfern. I am not sure how long a transfer will take to materialise so my dilemma now is whether to put up with the commute or forget living in Terrigal and look at southern areas like Wollongong.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 3:12 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

I'lkl reply more to this post on Monday!

Paramedic hey???

There is an ambulance station in Terrigal - would be good if you could get work there!!

depends on what you're after I suppose - might be worth the commute if you are going to eventually get a job on the cetnral coast

Do you get to choose your locations (within reason) or can you be places anywhere

Cuase if you want to live in terrigal there are probably other areas with a shorter commute and prob have a need for paramedics! Lake Mac, Newcasltle, Lower Hunter etc.

I'll write more monday - need to get a train
Old Jul 13th 2007, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

I'lkl reply more to this post on Monday!

Paramedic hey???

There is an ambulance station in Terrigal - would be good if you could get work there!!

depends on what you're after I suppose - might be worth the commute if you are going to eventually get a job on the cetnral coast

Do you get to choose your locations (within reason) or can you be places anywhere

Cuase if you want to live in terrigal there are probably other areas with a shorter commute and prob have a need for paramedics! Lake Mac, Newcasltle, Lower Hunter etc.

I'll write more monday - need to get a train
Terrigal ambulance station would be the perfect posting for me but I think this is probably highly sought after. Unfortunately, I do not get to choose my initial posting although I can apply for vacancies as they arise. I will try to appeal though and get somewhere more northern. I look forward to hearing from you next week. Regards, Seamus.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

InBetween is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hayes
Terrigal ambulance station would be the perfect posting for me but I think this is probably highly sought after. Unfortunately, I do not get to choose my initial posting although I can apply for vacancies as they arise. I will try to appeal though and get somewhere more northern. I look forward to hearing from you next week. Regards, Seamus.
Hayes - dont forget Gosford Hospital is just down the road from Terrigal
http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/areas/c...ers/index.html
Old Jul 14th 2007, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby does those shifts and it takes him about 1 hour to get to North Ryde, I am sure there is a little speeding involved in this mind you, probably cruises at around 120 on the free way tusk tusk. Redfern will be a bit more on top I would think another 20 minutes at least, I would look into catching a train as there is a refern station. Redfern is a very dogey area by all accounts. You should be busy!!!!.

I work at Gosford hopital, maybe I will see you one day!!!!!

Jo
Old Jul 15th 2007, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by joho
Hubby does those shifts and it takes him about 1 hour to get to North Ryde, I am sure there is a little speeding involved in this mind you, probably cruises at around 120 on the free way tusk tusk. Redfern will be a bit more on top I would think another 20 minutes at least, I would look into catching a train as there is a refern station. Redfern is a very dogey area by all accounts. You should be busy!!!!.

I work at Gosford hopital, maybe I will see you one day!!!!!

Jo
Is there an A + E at Gosford Hospital?? I shall look forward to the day I take patients there as it will mean I am working close to home.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Is there an A + E at Gosford Hospital?? I shall look forward to the day I take patients there as it will mean I am working close to home.
Yep sure is, near my department. I work in Diagnostic Cardiology.

Jo
Old Jul 29th 2007, 7:45 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Well make sure you stay in contact!

Me and my (english) girlfriend are heading back in August - should be settled back into Terrigal by October. I used to live opposite the beach (near the little roundabout at Terrigal Pub/off licence - was nice living opposite the beach - I haven't got that place anymore but we are going to try and get something in that area again - as close to the beach as we can before we have to put too many zero's on the cheque!!!

Keep your eye on this website:

www.realestate.com.au

which has properties to rent and buy - can give you an idea on how much things are going for etc.
Hi

You wouldn't recognise the Terrigal pub now - the doss-house appearance has gone and it has had a major reno - outdoor areas, upper floor and restaurants etc. You might get a property nearby for a good price now - there are regular For Sale signs up as the noise level on a summer weekend can be horrendous - especially around closing time!

If you want to get near to the beach - beware the Painters Lane and Campbell Crescent area - there is a major development (called Rapedo) nearing approval in that part. This, apparently, has been close to 10 years in the offing

Other than that - its great

Jim
Old Jul 29th 2007, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

InBetween is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Hi

You wouldn't recognise the Terrigal pub now - the doss-house appearance has gone and it has had a major reno - outdoor areas, upper floor and restaurants etc. You might get a property nearby for a good price now - there are regular For Sale signs up as the noise level on a summer weekend can be horrendous - especially around closing time!

If you want to get near to the beach - beware the Painters Lane and Campbell Crescent area - there is a major development (called Rapedo) nearing approval in that part. This, apparently, has been close to 10 years in the offing

Other than that - its great

Jim
Your right Jim - its a little concerning for this area, Ive not made my mind up if this is a good thing or not - I can understand moving with the times & future development, but on this scale Im not sure Terrigal is ready, could this be the start of high rises along our coast (ok 6 storey is not exactly high rise) - but can you imagine the future of Terrigal and Wamberal looking like Surfers - I hope not, surely AndyR1976 has some views on this from a previous town planners perspective for the Central Coast

http://www.expressadvocate.com.au/ar...3988_news.html
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Andy. I have just found out that for work I will be based in Redfern, Sydney. My family and I have set our hearts on living in Terrigal and would like to know the commute times by car. In the morning I would be starting around 7am and finishing at 7pm. I am asking you directly as you seem to have an indepth knowledge of the area. Regards, Seamus.
Redfern is the stop before Central where the train stops... It takes, or did take when I travelled from Gosford to redfern, 1 hour and 15 minutes in a reasonably comfy train. You can drive to Gosford from Terrigal quite easily and get parking near the train station if you have to start at Redfern at 7am... Gosford shouldn't be too busy at the time you'll be needing to get there.. unless things have picked up in the last decade when I haven't lived there.

Email these people and ask how long the Terrigal to Gosford bus takes real early in the morning http://www.busways.com.au/aboutus.asp they even have timetables on their site.... the car journey will probably be a few minutes faster

GO to this site and find out ow long the journey from Gosford (Central Coast line) to redfern currently takes on the train
http://www.cityrail.info/timetable/index.jsp

Driving to and from redfern could be a nightmare.... try and get a job at the terrigal ambualnce station just near the high school.

I love the Central Coast... I try to visit all the time.

IN fact "getting off at Redfern" is slang for something I won't repeat on here... ask an old syndey local... and he'll tell you it keeps the ladies from getting pregnant...
Old Jul 29th 2007, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by copa
Redfern is the stop before Central where the train stops... It takes, or did take when I travelled from Gosford to redfern, 1 hour and 15 minutes in a reasonably comfy train. You can drive to Gosford from Terrigal quite easily and get parking near the train station if you have to start at Redfern at 7am... Gosford shouldn't be too busy at the time you'll be needing to get there.. unless things have picked up in the last decade when I haven't lived there.

Email these people and ask how long the Terrigal to Gosford bus takes real early in the morning http://www.busways.com.au/aboutus.asp they even have timetables on their site.... the car journey will probably be a few minutes faster

GO to this site and find out ow long the journey from Gosford (Central Coast line) to redfern currently takes on the train
http://www.cityrail.info/timetable/index.jsp

Driving to and from redfern could be a nightmare.... try and get a job at the terrigal ambualnce station just near the high school.

I love the Central Coast... I try to visit all the time.

IN fact "getting off at Redfern" is slang for something I won't repeat on here... ask an old syndey local... and he'll tell you it keeps the ladies from getting pregnant...
Hi. Many thanks for the info. I think I can guess what the 'getting off at Redfern' means. Cheers.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 3:38 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by InBetween
Your right Jim - its a little concerning for this area, Ive not made my mind up if this is a good thing or not - I can understand moving with the times & future development, but on this scale Im not sure Terrigal is ready, could this be the start of high rises along our coast (ok 6 storey is not exactly high rise) - but can you imagine the future of Terrigal and Wamberal looking like Surfers - I hope not, surely AndyR1976 has some views on this from a previous town planners perspective for the Central Coast

Hi

I like the bit from the Association President re "traffic backing all the way to Erina" - it is already a major issue now that Council decided that 3 pedestrian crossings in 100 yards along the Esplanade was a brilliant idea. They really missed a trick with those refurbishments - the opportunity was there to make the seafront a pedestrian zone only.

As for the Rapedo proposal - I personally reckon that the town needs it... the seafront commercial area is still shabby... but whether it would be the thin end of the wedge for future developments though is another matter. As for being a mini Gold Coast, the terrain here is totally different of course and there could only be so much "mini high rise" developments.

Interesting times!

Sorry for jumping on the schools thread.

Jim
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:05 am
Aussie lost in the UK

Originally Posted by InBetween

Yeah, that Rapedo development has been on the go for as long as I can remember - it was 'nearing approval' when I moved out of my place in terrigal 3 years ago!!! As for the pub, I make regular trips back to Australia and have seen what has happened to the Terrigal pub - what a transformation - that place used to be a shithole!

With regard to the comments about development etc on the central coast and making it into another Gold Coast - I personally don't think it would happen. Anytime there is a development of any significance (in terms of height) there is always a lot of public interest. the key in Terrigal is having enough development so that it supports all the local shops, bars, restaurants without killing off the community atmosphere!

A

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.