Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schooling in QLD.

Schooling in QLD.

Old Jan 7th 2014, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schooling in QLD.

Originally Posted by nmm
First off apologies. I know there is a lot of threads on this topic, but can't quite find what I'm looking for.

In the UK more people than not go to 'state' schools. Only the wealthy send their children to 'private' schools having to pay for their education.

I'm aware in Australia it's a little different, with 'private' (non-state) schools being more affordable and a more popular choice than in the UK.
I think one reason there are far more children in non-govt schools in Australia is because, unlike most countries, the non-govt schools get paid a similar amount of taxpayer funds per student as the govt schools.

This allows the fees to be lower so many more take advantage compared to countries where non govt schools are not taxpayer funded. This has led to a large percentage of children being in non-govt schools.

On the whole, like most places, govt school satisfaction often correlates to the socio-economics of the school location. Many of the more successful govt schools out perform a lot of the non-govt schools so it can sometimes be a school by school decision rather than which system.

Originally Posted by nmm
What's the thoughts/experience of people with regard to whether you go state school for primary and then private for secondary school?
State schools often dominate the top 10 primary schools each year in Brisbane but in secondary the very expensive private schools dominate the top 10 but there are still quite a few state high schools high in the rankings. A school by school decision might be required.
http://bettereducation.com.au/school...y_schools.aspx

Last edited by fish.01; Jan 7th 2014 at 1:05 pm.