Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schooling...free or not ?

Schooling...free or not ?

Old Mar 14th 2007, 6:27 pm
A roo in my top paddock!

Dreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Schooling...free or not ?

Hi
We are just waiting for our visa grant.Should be around June time.
We are coming over to live later on in the year hopefully.
My question is if we have PR will we need to pay for state schooling for my 10year old?
I am thinking not but i may be wrong......!
Thanks for any replies.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:01 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of
Default Re: Schooling...free or not ?

No you don't pay on a PR visa.

Rebecca
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:25 pm
A roo in my top paddock!

Dreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Rebecca.
Thought not but just had a panic-dont know why!
You know when you ve looked at something but it just seems so long ago and then suddenly the thought re-enters your head?
Scarey!
Your reply was an instant relief!
Thanks for that.
Janice x
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:38 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

No problem! There's so much to think about - Good Luck with the visa - hope it comes through soon.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

You do pay for state schooling. How much depends on where you go.

I'm in South Australia and the bill for my two kids was $265 (primary) and $244 plus books, pens etc (Upper).
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

fox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nice

Hi we're on the sunshine coast , we don't pay for state school just for the books pens etc (around $100 per child per year)Kids in year 2 and 4.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

andyaldy will become famous soon enough

Hi
yes i do pay for schools, i have 2 children age 8 and 5 and pay about $500 per term, this is a catholic school though, and i think you have to pay at all catholic primary schools, also i pay about $250 per year for both books etc.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dreams of Oz View Post
Hi
My question is if we have PR will we need to pay for state schooling for my 10year old?
Thanks for any replies.
G'day

It varies state by state. Where are you going? Give more information and you'll get a more complete answer. ie If you are coming to Perth, I'll give an answer but if you're going East, then I'll be quiet.

Cheers
Bob in Bull Creek
Old Mar 16th 2007, 10:01 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
You do pay for state schooling. How much depends on where you go.

I'm in South Australia and the bill for my two kids was $265 (primary) and $244 plus books, pens etc (Upper).
Which is basically nothing over a whole year, I would pay more if they kept the kids longer.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian View Post
Which is basically nothing over a whole year, I would pay more if they kept the kids longer.

Hell, I'd give them all I had if they kept mine 24 hours a day

I'm going to rephrase my answer for the OP. School here is not entirely free like in the UK, you will have to pay for some part of it. Whether it's books, uniforms, school fees, trips or whatever it will cost you something. It may not be much, but it all adds up over the year, so be prepared for it.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

deanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud ofdeanmhunt has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dreams of Oz View Post
Hi
Thanks for any replies.
Hi my son goes to (primary) and the cost for fees for his school for the year was $40 then you pay for all there books ( text, writing) and all the usual stuff they need.
Danghter goes to senior high (y10) her bill came in and thought OMG nearly $400 then books and everything ontop but she chose the most expensive lessons for the next year lol but there both happy and when you work it out it's not that expensive.
Good luck Tracey x