Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

School Years - Help!!

School Years - Help!!

Old Oct 12th 2006, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Years - Help!!

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
Think I will ring them, its just timing it with the shifts i work. Cheers Wendy, you have been great x

Tried giving you K, but said i have to spread it around a bit...will come back to you x

No worries.

I'm sure it will all be fine, and lets hope he's like my lad who didn't want to come here and that after a few weeks he says he wouldn't go back to live in the UK for anything
Old Oct 12th 2006, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
No worries.

I'm sure it will all be fine, and lets hope he's like my lad who didn't want to come here and that after a few weeks he says he wouldn't go back to live in the UK for anything
Thats what am hoping, doubt it though. He has a very close knit group of friends, one of whom is coming out about 3weeks to stay with us for a month.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Wendy, that is who I emailed and who didnt reply. x

So M&J, cheers for that info, thats my light at the end of the tunnel as its taking me a lot to get him over there in the first place and appreciate him giving us two years of his life in oz. As you can tell he is coming back when he is 18 to go to uni in the UK.

So he will 16 on April 30th,2007 (flip, this may be your bit???) and he will be due to finish school in the UK in the June07 after finishing his GCSE's. We are flying to oz in July and he will then go into year 11 again?? or year 12?? In the UK he is on the talented and gifted programme and is completing 15GCSE's with A's predicted. Do you think he would go into year 11 or 12??

Cheers everyone, the fog is clearing.
I reckon most definately year 11. The school year starts in January, so they'll be halfway thru.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 4:37 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

The reason you may not have had a reply to your enquiries is that it has been school holidays - most schools only started back this week so hang in there for a few more days...
Old Oct 13th 2006, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ridds
The reason you may not have had a reply to your enquiries is that it has been school holidays - most schools only started back this week so hang in there for a few more days...
oh i see. thanks for that i didnt know.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

oh i see. thanks for that i didnt know.
I got a very very long email reply from the Policy Officer,Strategic Implementation Branch, Department of Education in Queensland. So if anyone would like any info on the higher education stuff (post 16), I dont mind sharing the reply. By the way Matt and Jenny, you were right. x

How have you gone on Pam???
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

I've been confused by this also.

Our kids are :

Year 4, born June 98

Year 6, born April 96

Year 7, born Sept. 94

We're going next Easter so they will have done 2/3 of their year, but will they go into Grades 4,6 and 7 there and virtually start the year again or will they go into Grades 5,7 and 8 ?
Age wise they should be in the higher year in Oz shouldn't they ?

The kids aren't super bright or anything so I think it may be better for them to do the former of the 2 options i.e. Grades 4,6 and 7 but don't want them to finish school a year later than everyone else.

We're going to QLD, does Year 1 here = Grade 1 there ? (don't they start school at 6 in QLD ?)

Andy
Old Oct 20th 2006, 4:41 pm
Pam
Forum Regular

Pam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cadman
I've been confused by this also.

Our kids are :

Year 4, born June 98

Year 6, born April 96

Year 7, born Sept. 94

We're going next Easter so they will have done 2/3 of their year, but will they go into Grades 4,6 and 7 there and virtually start the year again or will they go into Grades 5,7 and 8 ?
Age wise they should be in the higher year in Oz shouldn't they ?

The kids aren't super bright or anything so I think it may be better for them to do the former of the 2 options i.e. Grades 4,6 and 7 but don't want them to finish school a year later than everyone else.

We're going to QLD, does Year 1 here = Grade 1 there ? (don't they start school at 6 in QLD ?)

Andy
Andy, I've been trying to work this out from the Queensland Gov website. It says :
"Primary
To be enrolled in Year 1 in January, children will need to be five years old by the last day of December of the previous year."

I think this would mean that your children in Yr 4 and 6 will go into the same year, but your child in Yr 7 will go into Yr 8.
Can anyone else clarify??
Old Oct 20th 2006, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

I got a very very long email reply from the Policy Officer,Strategic Implementation Branch, Department of Education in Queensland. So if anyone would like any info on the higher education stuff (post 16), I dont mind sharing the reply. By the way Matt and Jenny, you were right. x
That gives him half a year to get into the swing of things, before knuckling down for year 12
Hope all goes well for him
Jen
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

But year 11 in UK is 16yr olds??? does that mean they leave at 17 in australia??? .

Yes. Most kids start uni at 17, alot are 18. A few are 16.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

Jarvl will become famous soon enoughJarvl will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pam
Andy, I've been trying to work this out from the Queensland Gov website. It says :
"Primary
To be enrolled in Year 1 in January, children will need to be five years old by the last day of December of the previous year."

I think this would mean that your children in Yr 4 and 6 will go into the same year, but your child in Yr 7 will go into Yr 8.
Can anyone else clarify??
Yes, you are correct, I have a son who was born March 1994 and will be in grade 8 when they go back next year... He is in middle school, depends where you live in QLD if they 'do' middle school or not. At some primary schools they leave at the end of year 6, others end of year 7.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Yes. Most kids start uni at 17, alot are 18. A few are 16.
gotcha