school years

Old Feb 20th 2010, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

colinkaren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default school years

Hi hoping someone can tell us what school year are kids would be in if born in Oct 94, July 96 and Oct 98. Can't get my brain to function properly to work it out. Also wanted to know if there are any good web sites that condense the education system at secondary level explaining when they have main exams ect, generally need to know everything about the secondary education system but there are to really loads of web sites its all so confusing.

Cheers
Old Feb 20th 2010, 10:46 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: school years

Originally Posted by colinkaren
Hi hoping someone can tell us what school year are kids would be in if born in Oct 94, July 96 and Oct 98. Can't get my brain to function properly to work it out. Also wanted to know if there are any good web sites that condense the education system at secondary level explaining when they have main exams ect, generally need to know everything about the secondary education system but there are to really loads of web sites its all so confusing.

Cheers
My daugter was born in Nov 09 and is in year 5.. you should be able to work that back from there

Oct 98 - year 6
July 96 - year 8
Oct 94 - year 10

I think!!
Old Feb 20th 2010, 10:48 am
ABCDiamond

Cheers
Which state ?

Old Feb 20th 2010, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

We're in WA. My daughter (born 1993) is in year 12, my son (born 1995) is in year 10. Looks like it's different according to state. Also cut-off dates were changed in WA, affecting anyone born in 1997-8 (I think).
Old Feb 20th 2010, 10:14 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacqui
We're in WA. My daughter (born 1993) is in year 12, my son (born 1995) is in year 10. Looks like it's different according to state. Also cut-off dates were changed in WA, affecting anyone born in 1997-8 (I think).
that is correct. their youngest child would currently be in year 6.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

daddyoconnor will become famous soon enough

Hi

So can anyone tell me what year do they start Secondary? Is it Year 7?

We would be in Qld - so not sure if that is the same. Oldest son was born Jun 98 - so I am presuming he would be Year 6 now and move into Year 7 in Jan 11.....

......or would he have started Year 7 this January???

Thanks for any help
Old Feb 21st 2010, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

butterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nice

Originally Posted by daddyoconnor
Hi

We would be in Qld - so not sure if that is the same. Oldest son was born Jun 98 - so I am presuming he would be Year 6 now and move into Year 7 in Jan 11.....

Thanks for any help
hi our daughter was born in 98 and will be starting year 7 when we arrive in april, our other daughter was born in 2000 and will be in year 5 this is in qld, however sometimes at some schools children are either put up or down a year depending on ability but on the whole they try to stick to the correct year for there age.
qld school years go from jan - dec, in the uk our eldest daughter is in year 6 but her birthday is september, our other daughter is in year 5 here and in oz her birthday is in january, this causes lots of problems as the youngest thinks she should also be in the year higher too.....
hope this helps
Old Feb 21st 2010, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by butterfly1234
hi our daughter was born in 98 and will be starting year 7 when we arrive in april, our other daughter was born in 2000 and will be in year 5 this is in qld, however sometimes at some schools children are either put up or down a year depending on ability but on the whole they try to stick to the correct year for there age.
qld school years go from jan - dec, in the uk our eldest daughter is in year 6 but her birthday is september, our other daughter is in year 5 here and in oz her birthday is in january, this causes lots of problems as the youngest thinks she should also be in the year higher too.....
hope this helps
Hi

Thanks for that. So your daughter born in 98 will start in Year 7 - so does she go straight to Secondary (the same as UK - when kids get to Year 7 they go to Secondary??)
Old Feb 21st 2010, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

butterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nice

Hi

Thanks for that. So your daughter born in 98 will start in Year 7 - so does she go straight to Secondary (the same as UK - when kids get to Year 7 they go to Secondary??)
yes we spent 2 1/2 years in oz the returned to the uk, and we were trying to get back by jan so she could start with everyone else, but we were unable to be there in jan so we are going in april (at the easter break) this means she has only missed 1 term we phone the school to see if there was anything we need to do so she wasn't to far behind, all they said was get her to read as much as possible so thats we have been doing.
when are you moving?
have you found a school yet?
Old Feb 21st 2010, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by butterfly1234
yes we spent 2 1/2 years in oz the returned to the uk, and we were trying to get back by jan so she could start with everyone else, but we were unable to be there in jan so we are going in april (at the easter break) this means she has only missed 1 term we phone the school to see if there was anything we need to do so she wasn't to far behind, all they said was get her to read as much as possible so thats we have been doing.
when are you moving?
have you found a school yet?
Love to have been there by April too, but house not selling.....We are going out to validate in March April. Where abouts in Qld are you moving to in April?

We are doing a little bit of a tour (Brisbane, Bundaberg, Rockhampton, Yeppoon, Hervey Bay, Gold Coast then back to Brisbane International). Would maybe like to settle in Central Qld, but nothing definate yet. Really depends on employment opportunities. So as for schools not yet sure, but have had a look at some of the schools up in the Rockhampton area. Just have to sell the house first......

Good luck with your move back xx
Old Feb 21st 2010, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Love to have been there by April too, but house not selling.....We are going out to validate in March April. Where abouts in Qld are you moving to in April?

We are doing a little bit of a tour (Brisbane, Bundaberg, Rockhampton, Yeppoon, Hervey Bay, Gold Coast then back to Brisbane International). Would maybe like to settle in Central Qld, but nothing definate yet. Really depends on employment opportunities. So as for schools not yet sure, but have had a look at some of the schools up in the Rockhampton area. Just have to sell the house first......

Good luck with your move back xx
we are moving back to the sunshine coast just north of brisbane. We are just finishing renovating the house it has taken longer than we thought, hence why we didn't make jan. which made us rethink our plans. we were going to sell but as the exchange rate is dire at the minute and time ticking we have decided to rent it instead. we really wanted our daughter to start year 7 with all the other new comers but it just didn't happen, trying to make the best out of the situation....
Old Feb 21st 2010, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Cheers
It really does vary from state to state, we are in VIC our youngest was born in April 93 and he is now in Year 12, so finishes his VCE this year. However technically for VIC he should only be in year 11 but he is a year up. In QLD however he would be in year 12 I believe as they start school earler and finish when they are 17 not 18 as in most other states. But it is not uncommon as with our son for kids to be a year ahead (or behind ) their peers it just depends on the individual child. Born in Oct 94 I would say that in VIC he would be in Year 10 at the moment.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:59 am
ABCDiamond

Hi

Thanks for any help
Secondary is normally from year 8 in Queensland State schools. Some of the private schools start in year 7.

Mine was born May 1996 and started year 9 this year.

Children born in:
1996 start year 1 in 2002.
1997 start year 1 in 2003.
1998 start year 1 in 2004.
1999 start year 1 in 2005.
2000 start year 1 in 2006.
2001 start year 1 in 2007.
between Jan 2002 - Jun 2002 : Start prep in Jan 2007 and Year 1 in Jan 2008.
between July 2002 - Jun 2003 : start prep in Jan 2008 and Year 1 in Jan 2009.
between July 2003 - Jun 2004 : start prep in Jan 2009 and Year 1 in Jan 2010.
between July 2004 - Jun 2005 : start prep in Jan 2010 and Year 1 in Jan 2011.
between July 2005 - Jun 2006 : start prep in Jan 2011 and Year 1 in Jan 2012.
between July 2006 - Jun 2007 : start prep in Jan 2012 and Year 1 in Jan 2013.
http://www.abcdiamond.com.../starting-school-in-queensland/

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Secondary is normally from year 8 in Queensland State schools. Some of the private schools start in year 7.

Mine was born May 1996 and started year 9 this year.
Oh right

So from what you are saying my son would probably be in Year 7 now - (as he was born Jun 98) - and would therefore start State Secondary in Year 8 next January??? Is that right?

Thanks
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:46 am
ABCDiamond

Oh right

So from what you are saying my son would probably be in Year 7 now - (as he was born Jun 98) - and would therefore start State Secondary in Year 8 next January??? Is that right?

Thanks
I have just double checked with my daughter, and she has friends born May, June and July 1996, all in year 9.
Therefore 1998 births in the same months will be in year 7 right now, and consequently year 8 from Jan 2011. In Queensland.

Other States may be different.
Her best friend in NSW, only 2 months younger, is only in year 8 at the moment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.