Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

School year in Adelaide

School year in Adelaide

Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

SammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to all
Default School year in Adelaide

Hi,

My daughter has just turned 9 last month and we have just visited a school in Adelaide who said she would go into year 3 and then year 4 in New year. At home she would have been in year 5 now. Does this seem right? I suppose she will just go into a class with kids her age but I feel like she is going the wrong way. I realise the year system is different here but it does seem a big difference. Can anyone advise??

Thanks, Sam
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: School year in Adelaide

There is a big age range in the classes here. We're in Sydney so cut offs etc. will be different, but my son is in year 3 and there are kids who will turn 10 in November and others who turned 8 in July. The trend here at the moment is to send kids to school as late as possible - a lot of Aussies I know have a real thing about their kids being amongst the eldest, the Brits want them to start asap like they're used to. It's also very common for kids to repeat a year if either parents or the school feel they would benefit.

Having happily integrated into the Aussie system my daughter will start school next year two weeks before her 6th birthday; she'd have started Y1 last week had we stayed in the UK. I really like the flexibility offered here.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

doje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SammyJ
Hi,

My daughter has just turned 9 last month and we have just visited a school in Adelaide who said she would go into year 3 and then year 4 in New year. At home she would have been in year 5 now. Does this seem right? I suppose she will just go into a class with kids her age but I feel like she is going the wrong way. I realise the year system is different here but it does seem a big difference. Can anyone advise??

Thanks, Sam
Thats absolutely right. My youngest went from going into the second year in high school, and into the last year of primary!! Try explaining that to a twelve year old! Your daughter is not going back, shes going into the appropriate year for her age.
The biggest advantage I found for our kids, is that the older ones have Australian Studies, so by "going back" a year or two help them catch up on this particular subject.
Where abouts are you planning on settling?

donna
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

SammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to allSammyJ is a name known to all

Thanks for your replies. Feel better knowing there is such a wide range of ages in each class. Emily has always been the youngest in her class so it will be good for her to be one of the older ones for a change. Just seemed a bit strange but I understand the system is very different here and, to be honest, I think kids in the UK are under too much pressure so it's probably a good thing.

Donna - We are living with my brother at present in Glenelg North. Not sure where we will eventually settle though as might be offered a job in Sydney. Staying here for now though. Adelaide is lovely! Sam