Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

School starting age in QLD

School starting age in QLD

Old Sep 8th 2007, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute
Default School starting age in QLD

Child has to be 6 by 30June in the year in which they start.

So if your child is born on 1stJuly, then he/she will be 6yrs and 7 months old when they start school.

Is it just me that finds this really worrying?
Old Sep 8th 2007, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

Location: Chichester, England, Auckland, NZ, Gold Coast, Oz. Going back to UK 17th Oct
DebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud of
Default Re: School starting age in QLD

Originally Posted by Pommie Granite

So if your child is born on 1stJuly, then he/she will be 6yrs and 7 months old when they start school.

They start Prep the year they turn 5, if before 30th June.

My son is in Prep. He turns 6 in Dec and will start Grade 1 end of Jan when new term starts after summer hols.

My daughter is 4 and will start Prep when the new term starts in Jan. She will be 5 in May 08.

Have a look at this link. Hope it explains all.

http://education.qld.gov.au/publicat...sue1_prep.html
Old Sep 8th 2007, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Debi...well thats a bit of a relief.

I'm not sure what the government are playing at by not making prep compulsory?!?
Old Sep 8th 2007, 6:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Because presumably they believe that children should learn how to interact and play long before they are required to know their ABCs. When my kids started Nursery in the UK for a year before Reception, it wasn't compulsory. Has that changed?
Old Sep 8th 2007, 9:00 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

In England (not sure if Scotland differs) I think school is only compulsory from the age of 5 and a half. However I'm glad mine had access to free nursery places from the age of 3 in the UK.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Scotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pommie Granite

Hi

My son doesn't turn 6 until 31 December but is already in Grade 1 here in the Brissie suburbs. Not sure whether all schools are the same around here but we certainly had no problem getting him into class despite him being the youngest.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Location: Chichester, England, Auckland, NZ, Gold Coast, Oz. Going back to UK 17th Oct
DebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Scotschick
Hi

My son doesn't turn 6 until 31 December but is already in Grade 1 here in the Brissie suburbs. Not sure whether all schools are the same around here but we certainly had no problem getting him into class despite him being the youngest.
Schools in QLD are generally the same. It all depends on the child whether they're ready for Prep. Some kids are ready to go before others. Each child is access to see if they're ready.

The Prep year is new to QLD and 2007 was the first year to bring Prep Year in to schools across QLD. They've had a few teething problems, especially with boys, not being socially ready. So, the cut-off date was put back to the 30th June.

Here's another link - http://education.qld.gov.au/etrf/year1readiness.html