Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

School Quiz Help!!!! Place Names

School Quiz Help!!!! Place Names

Old Nov 10th 2006, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of
Default Re: School Quiz Help!!!! Place Names

According to http://www.australia.gov.au/govt-in-aust-5faq a territory is land that none of the states claim.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CHnJ
According to http://www.australia.gov.au/govt-in-aust-5faq a territory is land that none of the states claim.
Hi thanks again, this is getting very interesting. Ive bought a large piece of red card and drawn up a map of Australia. We have put large dots on the cities and typed up all the results so far and stuck them on it looks great. Now anyone have an answer for Darwin and Brisbane and I thought it might be interesting to add in a few Aboriginal places if anyone knows of any. I have put in Uluru already. I started thinking about that song thats advertises broadband "I've been everywhere man ...Nullagong? etc how about any of those places?
I'm starting to enjoy this project and I'm learning about where we live so thats good too.
Thanks again everyone its much appreciated.
Irene and Bronwyn
Old Nov 10th 2006, 3:05 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Yep, I know the answer to that one: It means "meeting place".

It was decided that Australia would have a brand-new capital city about mid-way between Melbourne and Sydney. They designated an area in then south-eastern NSW to become the Australian Capital Territory (ACT). That region was called "Canberry" by the Aboriginals, which means "meeting place". This was chosen as the name for the new capital, but it was later changed to "Canberra".

Gina
Mostly right.

The word "Canberra" may come from the name of the local "Ngabri" people, one of the Ngunnawal family groups, or alternatively from the word "Kambera" meaning "meeting place" in the Ngunnawal language.

If you drive into Canberra from the north (Sydney), you'll see the Kamberra Wine Company at Lyneham – a bastardised spelling.

Also, the capital city didn't necessarily have to be mid-way between Melbourne and Sydney: it had to be north of the Murray River and at least 100 miles from Sydney. In the early 1900's there were several recommended sites (Albury, Tumut, Bombala), but successive government changes meant nothing came of the recommendations.

In 1908, finally, the Yass-Queanbeyan area was chosen as the site for the Capital - this meant NSW had to cede the land. There was further debate as to exactly where in this area the capital would be built and what it would be called (Goulburn and even Bungendore were contenders). In an offical presentation in March 1913 Lady Denman, wife of the Governor-General, announced that the new city would be called "Canberra" and would be built in the area the presentation took place - where New Parliament House is today.

The government didn't actually move there until May 1927, when Old Parliament House was completed - up to then the temporary capital had been Melbourne, as agreed. The government moved to New Parliament House in 1988.

Far more information than you needed, but there you go.

Big.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 3:08 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Galah
Mostly right.

The word "Canberra" may come from the name of the local "Ngabri" people, one of the Ngunnawal family groups, or alternatively from the word "Kambera" meaning "meeting place" in the Ngunnawal language.

If you drive into Canberra from the north (Sydney), you'll see the Kamberra Wine Company at Lyneham – a bastardised spelling.

Also, the capital city didn't necessarily have to be mid-way between Melbourne and Sydney: it had to be north of the Murray River and at least 100 miles from Sydney. In the early 1900's there were several recommended sites (Albury, Tumut, Bombala), but successive government changes meant nothing came of the recommendations.

In 1908, finally, the Yass-Queanbeyan area was chosen as the site for the Capital - this meant NSW had to cede the land. There was further debate as to exactly where in this area the capital would be built and what it would be called (Goulburn and even Bungendore were contenders). In an offical presentation in March 1913 Lady Denman, wife of the Governor-General, announced that the new city would be called "Canberra" and would be built in the area the presentation took place - where New Parliament House is today.

The government didn't actually move there until May 1927, when Old Parliament House was completed - up to then the temporary capital had been Melbourne, as agreed. The government moved to New Parliament House in 1988.

Far more information than you needed, but there you go.

Big.

"Some" Aussies just refer to it as a waste of a good sheep station
Old Nov 10th 2006, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by parkhigh
Hi thanks again, this is getting very interesting. Ive bought a large piece of red card and drawn up a map of Australia. We have put large dots on the cities and typed up all the results so far and stuck them on it looks great. Now anyone have an answer for Darwin and Brisbane and I thought it might be interesting to add in a few Aboriginal places if anyone knows of any. I have put in Uluru already. I started thinking about that song thats advertises broadband "I've been everywhere man ...Nullagong? etc how about any of those places?
I'm starting to enjoy this project and I'm learning about where we live so thats good too.
Thanks again everyone its much appreciated.
Irene and Bronwyn
I'll email you a copy of that song. Where I live, Tamborine, sounds like it should be a European word but it's actually from the local Koori language. On the other hand, the Nullabor between Perth and Adelaide is latin for no trees.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Irish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by parkhigh
Irene and Bronwyn
Try www.wikipedia.com and type in history of....
you should get it then, we often use this site at school
Old Nov 10th 2006, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Tasmania - Abel Tasmania who named the island Anthoonij van Diemenslandt, after his sponsor, the Governor of the Dutch East Indies. The name was later shortened to Van Diemen's Land by the British and then to Tasmania.

The bloke's name was Abel Tasman not Tasmania.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I'll email you a copy of that song. Where I live, Tamborine, sounds like it should be a European word but it's actually from the local Koori language. On the other hand, the Nullabor between Perth and Adelaide is latin for no trees.
What do you reckon Tamborine means? Place of wild yams? I thought it was from the Bundjalung language, or maybe Yugambah. Mount Tamborine is known as Wangalbung in Yugambah.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lesleys
What do you reckon Tamborine means? Place of wild yams? I thought it was from the Bundjalung language, or maybe Yugambah. Mount Tamborine is known as Wangalbung in Yugambah.
I love this site. I just keep learning. According to Beaudesertshire Council it does mean "Yams" and "Cliff" but they just say it's in the "local aboriginal language." I assumed it was Koori, but am happy to be corrected. All juice for the pot : )
Old Nov 11th 2006, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I love this site. I just keep learning. According to Beaudesertshire Council it does mean "Yams" and "Cliff" but they just say it's in the "local aboriginal language." I assumed it was Koori, but am happy to be corrected. All juice for the pot : )
Here are a few helpful links if you're interested

http://www.anu.edu.au/andc/res/aewords/index.php
http://www.kooriweb.org/
http://www.muurrbay.org.au/bundjalung.html
http://www.muurrbay.org.au/links.html

And for anyone on or near Mount Tamborine:

www.biodiversity.com.au

Have fun
Old Nov 11th 2006, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Sydney - Lord Sydney (Baron Sydney, Viscount Sydney from 1789).
Melbourne - The settlement was named Melbourne in 1837 after the British Prime Minister William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne, who resided in the village of Melbourne in Derbyshire.
Cairns - named after William Wellington Cairns (the then Governor of Queensland)
Tasmania - Abel Tasmania who named the island Anthoonij van Diemenslandt, after his sponsor, the Governor of the Dutch East Indies. The name was later shortened to Van Diemen's Land by the British and then to Tasmania.
Hobart - The city was named after Lord Hobart the Colonial Secretary.

This site has a wealth of information about Australia. http://www.nla.gov.au/oz/histsite.html
Good luck with the homework
Most Australian place names have a UK or European background (except Texas QLD ).

Coming in from the sea to Brisbane up the river, you have Moreton, Stradbroke, Peel, Brisbane, etc.

By the time Governor Grey got to near where Brisbane now stands they must have run out of names from HM's official "Book of Place names". I can see the dilemma to name a piece of land jutting out into the river. "That bit of land with the kangaroos on it". "Where?" "Where I'm pointing to!" "It's rude to point".

Anyway the rest is history.

As for the bridge, well that's another story

WW
Old Nov 11th 2006, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
I can see the dilemma to name a piece of land jutting out into the river. "That bit of land with the kangaroos on it". "Where?" "Where I'm pointing to!" "It's rude to point".

Anyway the rest is history.

As for the bridge, well that's another story

WW
Was it Douglas Adams who said most local language placenames are really "whoisthisfoolwhodoesnotknowhatamountainis?"