Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

School in Oakleigh

School in Oakleigh

Old Jul 9th 2006, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Sebastian will become famous soon enough
Default School in Oakleigh

Hi Does anyone have any children at Sacred Heart Girls' College, Oakleigh and know anything about the school and the suburb Oakleigh to live in?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Sebastian
Old Jul 9th 2006, 8:54 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School in Oakleigh

Originally Posted by Sebastian
Hi Does anyone have any children at Sacred Heart Girls' College, Oakleigh and know anything about the school and the suburb Oakleigh to live in?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Sebastian
Do you mean Oakleigh in Melbourne?
Old Jul 9th 2006, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by thebears
Do you mean Oakleigh in Melbourne?
Yes, the address is 113 Warrigal Rd. Oakleigh, Melbourne

Thanks

Sebastian
Old Jul 9th 2006, 9:05 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Sebastian
We must of passed it today then

We live about 15 mins drive away in Malvern. The address is more Hughesdale than Oakleigh.

Are you headed this way soon? How old is your daughter? Ours is 3.

Kiwi
Old Jul 9th 2006, 9:08 am
Melbourne Australia

We must of passed it today then

We live about 15 mins drive away in Malvern. The address is more Hughesdale than Oakleigh.

Are you headed this way soon? How old is your daughter? Ours is 3.

Kiwi
Oakleigh could be construed as being alittle rough. But is quite close to some nice surburbs - Warrigal road is a main dual carriageway with alot of industrial sites. Bentleigh looks nice and is not to far away. Have you got yourself a Melways yet?

Kiwi
Old Jul 9th 2006, 10:04 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Sebastian
Oakleigh is a a suburb in the south east of Melbourne about 20 minutes by car from the central business district (CBD). Oakleigh itself is a typical leafy suburb with lots of quiet streets, and relatively cheap to live in compared to neighbouring suburbs nearer the centre or coast. It has it's own shopping area, which has some of the best Greek restaurants in Melbourne as Oakleigh has a large Greek community.

The school you're talking about is a typical Catholic school which is not particularly special, but not bad either. Catholic schools have come in for a bit of criticism recently, or at least Govt funding of them. The Victorian Govt saw fit to award virtually nothing to Catholic Schools in the recent education grants, while the Bishop of Melbourne claimed Catholic Schools are in dire need of overhauls. However, a recent report has suggested that the majority of state schools in Victoria are in dire need of repair anyway. From what I've seen, this does nothing to detract from the education system which seems to be running ok. Oakleigh South Primary for example has one of the best disciplinary records among schools across the state.

If that part of the World is your choice of destination, and education is high on your agenda, then check out the catchment area for McKinnon high which is one the top high schools in Victoria, with people trying from all over to get in.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 10:06 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Oakleigh could be construed as being alittle rough.
Kiwi
Not sure where you get that from?
Old Jul 9th 2006, 10:11 am
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Not sure where you get that from?
Hi Carl

Just from driving down Warrigal road today.

Kiwi
Old Jul 9th 2006, 10:17 am
Take it easy

Hi Carl

Just from driving down Warrigal road today.

Kiwi
Hmmmm....and Malvern would seem a bit rough if you viewed it from Dandenong Road
Old Jul 9th 2006, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Oakleigh is a a suburb in the south east of Melbourne about 20 minutes by car from the central business district (CBD). Oakleigh itself is a typical leafy suburb with lots of quiet streets, and relatively cheap to live in compared to neighbouring suburbs nearer the centre or coast. It has it's own shopping area, which has some of the best Greek restaurants in Melbourne as Oakleigh has a large Greek community.

The school you're talking about is a typical Catholic school which is not particularly special, but not bad either. Catholic schools have come in for a bit of criticism recently, or at least Govt funding of them. The Victorian Govt saw fit to award virtually nothing to Catholic Schools in the recent education grants, while the Bishop of Melbourne claimed Catholic Schools are in dire need of overhauls. However, a recent report has suggested that the majority of state schools in Victoria are in dire need of repair anyway. From what I've seen, this does nothing to detract from the education system which seems to be running ok. Oakleigh South Primary for example has one of the best disciplinary records among schools across the state.

If that part of the World is your choice of destination, and education is high on your agenda, then check out the catchment area for McKinnon high which is one the top high schools in Victoria, with people trying from all over to get in.

Anyother good catholic girls school with a reputaion in and around this area?
My daughter will be completing her GCSE and will join in for VCE in July 2007.

Thank you

Sebastian
Old Jul 9th 2006, 10:55 am
Take it easy

Anyother good catholic girls school with a reputaion in and around this area?
My daughter will be completing her GCSE and will join in for VCE in July 2007.

Thank you

Sebastian
Our Lady of Sacred Heart?

Star of the Sea in Gardenvale has a good reputation, but that is a bit of a way from Oakleigh....the other side of Caulfield, just North of Brighton
Old Jul 9th 2006, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Our Lady of Sacred Heart?

Star of the Sea in Gardenvale has a good reputation, but that is a bit of a way from Oakleigh....the other side of Caulfield, just North of Brighton
Thank you very much for your reply.

I will have a look at their website and send them an e-mail.
I received a good response by e-mail from sacred heart's college, Oaklieigh. But if that school is not a reputed one i'll skip it. I want to put my daughter in a catholic school with a reputaion for university study. Star of sea in Garden vale appears to have students destination to uni 94%.(got this info from school guide)

Anyother catholic school with repute in any area?

shall compare and decide?

Thanks once again.

Sebastian
Old Jul 9th 2006, 11:19 am
Take it easy

Thank you very much for your reply.

I will have a look at their website and send them an e-mail.
I received a good response by e-mail from sacred heart's college, Oaklieigh. But if that school is not a reputed one i'll skip it. I want to put my daughter in a catholic school with a reputaion for university study. Star of sea in Garden vale appears to have students destination to uni 94%.(got this info from school guide)

Anyother catholic school with repute in any area?

shall compare and decide?

Thanks once again.

Sebastian
Not that I know of in this area....there are always co-eds though....I think Sacre coeur in Glen Iris is pretty good...again, that is a bit of a distance from Oakleigh to the North. Emmaus is in Oakleigh, but I'm not sure that they are too good. Siena in Camberwell also has a fairly good rep, but again that is a bit of a trip to the North.

I'll keep thinking on it.....
Old Jul 9th 2006, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Not that I know of in this area....there are always co-eds though....I think Sacre coeur in Glen Iris is pretty good...again, that is a bit of a distance from Oakleigh to the North. Emmaus is in Oakleigh, but I'm not sure that they are too good. Siena in Camberwell also has a fairly good rep, but again that is a bit of a trip to the North.

I'll keep thinking on it.....
Hi Shakmaty,

You are a star!!

If you recall more reputed catholic girls school please post it, it would help me a great deal for my comparison.

Sebastian