Reload this Page >

School meals in Oz

School meals in Oz

Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Lost Aussie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: School meals in Oz

Originally Posted by killamarsh
having 'suffered' the lunchbox of aus schools, it is fine, and the tuckshop was always a treat not there to feed a child lunch each day. It's not been reflected on here but Mr Oliver, some time ago thought taking a lunchbox to school was some sort of blight on a childs life and I was fuming at his offhand commet.

It's a different culture in oz, and the lunchbox rules. My view, and it's mine, is that at least I will know what my son is putting into his body. I choose school lunches at the moment as I got fed up with him changing his mind every few days as to whether he wanted school or home meals.
Most school tuckshops now are reviewing their menus. Our kids have tuckshop once a month. The rest of the time I pack their lunches for them. I would suggest getting an insulated lunch box/bag with an ice brick in it, as summer in most places in Oz tends to wilt and warm sandwiches etc. Some schools do offer fridges for their students to put their lunches in - but this is not the standard (pity).
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:28 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimmy Cliff
Do you have the same character type lunch boxes (younger kids) that they have over here? or is something else generally used. I wouldnt want the kids to be poked fun at for bringing in their Dr who/Dennis the menace/ whatever, lunch box etc!!

Many thanks for any replies,

Vics x
You need to have a cooler type lunchbox here so that you an put an ice pack in. The lunchboxes stay in the kids bags so they get nice and steamy in the summer if you just use a normal type. You can also put juice boxes (poppers) in the freezer overnight. That way your child will have a nice cool drink at breaktime.

I volunteer in the tuckshop at my boys school and I very rarely let him have anything from there. Because its only part time, everything gets frozen (bread, ham, chicken, cakes) and defrosted when needed. If you have a full time tuckshop then this probably won't happen so much. I won't be volunteering at senior school because the kids will be much scarier and I'm soft.

Jane
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

whoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to beholdwhoever is a splendid one to behold

I don't think the schools in Australia would ever think a parent would actually rely on the tuck shops to provide food everyday!!

Generally we would always take our own lunch to school and then maybe once a fortnight our parents would give us money to have a pizza or something.

In the UK I found it was more of a norm to sit down and have this full on meal bought at school.