Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Coomera - anyone living there and what's it like?!!

Coomera - anyone living there and what's it like?!!

Old Aug 15th 2006, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

draper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nice
Default Coomera - anyone living there and what's it like?!!

Hi
We have just returned from a recce to Perth and Gold Coast. Expected before we went that we'd like Perth best - and it is great, but couldn't believe the cost of land (oh is builder so we had hoped to build own place). Also didn't expect to like Gold Coast as much as we did, especially the hinterland. Looked at lots of new builds and land and fell in love with Highland Reserve development area, as the blocks are bigger and the Coomera area seemed well served by schools etc. Also Coomera Waters development has lots of houses/land available at a much more sensible price (although we didn't go there and hacve only seen it on real estate sites).
So...basically if there's anyone who actually lives there now or knows the area, schools (have 3 boys 12, 10 and 6), sports facilities (particularly rugby and soccer), work prospects for a bricklayer and teacher and can give me pros and cons of the Coomera area, we'd love to know, as at the moment, this seems to be our preferable place to settle !!
Thanks!!
Old Aug 15th 2006, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coomera - anyone living there and what's it like?!!

Originally Posted by draper5
Hi
We have just returned from a recce to Perth and Gold Coast. Expected before we went that we'd like Perth best - and it is great, but couldn't believe the cost of land (oh is builder so we had hoped to build own place). Also didn't expect to like Gold Coast as much as we did, especially the hinterland. Looked at lots of new builds and land and fell in love with Highland Reserve development area, as the blocks are bigger and the Coomera area seemed well served by schools etc. Also Coomera Waters development has lots of houses/land available at a much more sensible price (although we didn't go there and hacve only seen it on real estate sites).
So...basically if there's anyone who actually lives there now or knows the area, schools (have 3 boys 12, 10 and 6), sports facilities (particularly rugby and soccer), work prospects for a bricklayer and teacher and can give me pros and cons of the Coomera area, we'd love to know, as at the moment, this seems to be our preferable place to settle !!
Thanks!!

Hi guys,

I will send you a P.M and help you out with any info you require, I may even have some land options for you in Coomera.

All the best

Tony
Old Aug 15th 2006, 10:07 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks!!
Hi Rebecca

How are you and the family? I am so happy that we were able to help you on the Gold Coast, & that we will be seeing you all again soon!

Coomera is a very popular spot with British Expats, as we have helped families that have settle in that area. My sister in law is a teacher at Upper Coomera State College, and I am sure she wouldn't mind me putting you in touch with her to discuss the school itself.

Claire
x
Old Aug 15th 2006, 10:15 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We are flying out in 3 weeks time and are heading to Brisbane. We also went to Perth on a rekkie and loved it but decided against it because of the crazy housing market. I am also a teacher so I would be interested in hearing about jobs on the Gold Coast. I am primary, how about you? When we went doen to the Gold coast we didn't have much time so didn't do the hinterland, what was it like? Can you recommend any areas to look at? Did you look at the Sunshine Coast, we love it but not sure if we can afford it.

Good luck
Old Aug 15th 2006, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We have been living in Upper Coomera for eight months now (me, hubby, son (7) and daughter (13) and we have absolutely no regrets about the decision to come here as it suits our situation. I am working further north at Loganholme and the motorway from Coomera is four lanes and free flowing, unlike some of the other areas on the Gold Coast so it only takes around 20 minutes to get there. The kids got to Upper Coomera State College and are both settled and happy. We love the fact that we are 20 mins from so many different places, the mountains, the sea, rivers, shopping centres, etc.

We have just had our first visitors from the UK and there were plenty of places for us to take them sightseeing, eating out, theme parks, etc.

Julia x
Old Aug 15th 2006, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

draper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gold Coaster
Hi guys,

I will send you a P.M and help you out with any info you require, I may even have some land options for you in Coomera.

All the best

Tony

www.platinumrelocations.com.au
Thanks!
Old Aug 15th 2006, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Hi Rebecca

How are you and the family? I am so happy that we were able to help you on the Gold Coast, & that we will be seeing you all again soon!

Coomera is a very popular spot with British Expats, as we have helped families that have settle in that area. My sister in law is a teacher at Upper Coomera State College, and I am sure she wouldn't mind me putting you in touch with her to discuss the school itself.

Claire
x
Hi Claire,

Thanks. I'd love to know what provision (if any) there is for dyslexics, as my two eldest are both diagnosed. However, the middle one is very good at all sports and he wants to know how much of the week is spent on sport (he'd like it to be 80% sport and 20% technology and he'd be in Heaven!!!). If your sister could give me any insights into this that'd be wonderful!
Becky
Old Aug 15th 2006, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAYMAC
Hi,

We have been living in Upper Coomera for eight months now (me, hubby, son (7) and daughter (13) and we have absolutely no regrets about the decision to come here as it suits our situation. I am working further north at Loganholme and the motorway from Coomera is four lanes and free flowing, unlike some of the other areas on the Gold Coast so it only takes around 20 minutes to get there. The kids got to Upper Coomera State College and are both settled and happy. We love the fact that we are 20 mins from so many different places, the mountains, the sea, rivers, shopping centres, etc.

We have just had our first visitors from the UK and there were plenty of places for us to take them sightseeing, eating out, theme parks, etc.

Julia x
Thanks Julia, that's really what I hoped we'd hear! We're just about to send off the visa application, so it'll be a while before we're there, but glad to hear that you have no regrets at all.
Becky
Old Aug 15th 2006, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hi

We are flying out in 3 weeks time and are heading to Brisbane. We also went to Perth on a rekkie and loved it but decided against it because of the crazy housing market. I am also a teacher so I would be interested in hearing about jobs on the Gold Coast. I am primary, how about you? When we went doen to the Gold coast we didn't have much time so didn't do the hinterland, what was it like? Can you recommend any areas to look at? Did you look at the Sunshine Coast, we love it but not sure if we can afford it.

Good luck
I'm also a primary teacher, but not sure that I'll actually do that when we get there! May take it as my chance to change career and spend time with settling kids in properly...we'll see!
When we went to Gold Coast we stayed in apartment block in Surfer's. Beach and Ocean fantastic, but surfer's was not for us, as we live in a rural area at the moment and can't quite take to the idea of being surrounded on all sides by high rise buildings! The hinterland is gorgeous, waterways, green, hilly, etc. And the blocks of land for the houses (even some of the new estates) seemed to be bigger - we found 1000 and 2000 sqm blocks readily available, but still within reach of all amenities. Whereas in Perth the only way to get something that size was to go to the hills (we did quite like Roleystone area and properties- but had a strange feeling of "The Hills have Eyes" about it somehow!!)
Anyway, good luck to you and let us all know how you get on!
Old Aug 15th 2006, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks!!

Just noticed that you are from Suffolk! where abouts are you from in Suffolk? as my wife was from a little village next to Debenham, called something like Petaugh(not too sure about the spelling though).

Tony

www.platinumrelocations.co.uk
Old Aug 15th 2006, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gold Coaster
Just noticed that you are from Suffolk! where abouts are you from in Suffolk? as my wife was from a little village next to Debenham, called something like Petaugh(not too sure about the spelling though).

Tony

www.platinumrelocations.co.uk
Hi
We are in Mellis, a little village near Eye, approx 10 miles from Debenham. Pettaugh (and Debenham) are lovely - in fact if we don't get visa or circumstances change drastically (my dad has been very ill recently and Mum doesn't drive and I'm only one around, etc, etc) then we were thinking of moving there as it's a great little community and the High School has beacon Status!
has your wife any regrets at all about leaving Suffolk - as it is a lovely part of the country?
Becky
Old Aug 15th 2006, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi
We are in Mellis, a little village near Eye, approx 10 miles from Debenham. Pettaugh (and Debenham) are lovely - in fact if we don't get visa or circumstances change drastically (my dad has been very ill recently and Mum doesn't drive and I'm only one around, etc, etc) then we were thinking of moving there as it's a great little community and the High School has beacon Status!
has your wife any regrets at all about leaving Suffolk - as it is a lovely part of the country?
Becky

Hi Becky,

It is lovely around Pettaugh and has a lot of really nice cottages which have a lot of character, in fact Sues mum still lives in Pettaugh and she lives in a great cottage that is 15th century.

She did not have any regrets moving from Suffolk as she moved in the mid 90s as she had a placement with the British Government in Washington D.C and was working with the FBI and CIA and did a lot of travelling so she sort of had something exciting to move on to.

I am sorry to hear about your Dad being ill, I hope he gets well soon!
All the best with your visa and lets hope you can live your dream of moving to Aus soon.

Tony
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 8:36 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Claire,

Thanks. I'd love to know what provision (if any) there is for dyslexics, as my two eldest are both diagnosed. However, the middle one is very good at all sports and he wants to know how much of the week is spent on sport (he'd like it to be 80% sport and 20% technology and he'd be in Heaven!!!). If your sister could give me any insights into this that'd be wonderful!
Becky
Hi Becky

I have spoken to her and she says the news is good. There are a couple of "Special Teachers" on hand during the school day to assist children and are very good teachers. She was not sure about the amount of time spent on sports though as she doesn't teach it.

Hope that helps!

Claire
xxxx
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Hi Becky

I have spoken to her and she says the news is good. There are a couple of "Special Teachers" on hand during the school day to assist children and are very good teachers. She was not sure about the amount of time spent on sports though as she doesn't teach it.

Hope that helps!

Claire
xxxx
Thanks Claire,
That's good to know!
Becky
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Just to say a article in the Gold coast bulletin recently predicted that Coomera will be the next boom area on the Gold coast and by the year 2015 will have a population of over 80000 and all the shopping centres etc that go with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.