Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

School Grades/Years

School Grades/Years

Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default School Grades/Years

Firstly, sorry as I know that this question has been asked several times, but I just can not find an answer after searching nearly all day.

My son is in year 5 at the moment, he is 10 and will turn 11 in November.
What grade/year will he go into in Australia? We are heading for the Gold Coast and will arrive at the end of June. I am still unsure what school I want him to go to as I need to do some more research.

Also, what is the Australian equivalent of the GCSE's called and do they do written coursework for their English assessments like they do in the UK?
Thanks in anticipation of any replies.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Grades/Years

School year runs jan - dechere and in QLD for that age group so does the ages ie
born
2001 = grade 3 now
2000 = grade 4
1999 = grade 5
1998 = grade 6
1997 = grade 7
etc
BUT if younger then they changed the school years about. Now you have to have turned 5 by June 30th to start in the preceeding Jan. (Ie must be 4.5 on day one). For 2002 kids there was some leeway which year they went into I think.

QLD equiv is at 18 and an overall cert. Don't know what it is called or waht format it takes as mine are all primary.

Each state has different education set ups.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Safin
School year runs jan - dechere and in QLD for that age group so does the ages ie
born
2001 = grade 3 now
2000 = grade 4
1999 = grade 5
1998 = grade 6
1997 = grade 7
etc
BUT if younger then they changed the school years about. Now you have to have turned 5 by June 30th to start in the preceeding Jan. (Ie must be 4.5 on day one). For 2002 kids there was some leeway which year they went into I think.

QLD equiv is at 18 and an overall cert. Don't know what it is called or waht format it takes as mine are all primary.

Each state has different education set ups.
Hi Safin
Thank you for that information. Looking at the grades, does that mean that they stay in Primary until the end of grade 7 and start Secondary in grade 8 then?
Old Feb 20th 2009, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Yes thats right.

Oh and the year 12 cert is called the QCE. Queensland certificate of education. It assesses allthe basic subjects and additional things like sport and music and leadership skills etc. Each section gets points and they need a min no of points to get the cert and also a min level of literacy and maths. Its aimed to give employers/Uni a fuller picture of the whole person apparently. Its just changed to this format this year apparently.

(I was at school today and picked up a leaflet whilst waiting that told me this - handy eh?)
Old Feb 20th 2009, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Safin
Yes thats right.

Oh and the year 12 cert is called the QCE. Queensland certificate of education. It assesses allthe basic subjects and additional things like sport and music and leadership skills etc. Each section gets points and they need a min no of points to get the cert and also a min level of literacy and maths. Its aimed to give employers/Uni a fuller picture of the whole person apparently. Its just changed to this format this year apparently.

(I was at school today and picked up a leaflet whilst waiting that told me this - handy eh?)
Thank you for that information, it has answered my questions. Now all I have to do if find a good school for my son!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 9:25 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by grahampaula
Hi Safin
Thank you for that information. Looking at the grades, does that mean that they stay in Primary until the end of grade 7 and start Secondary in grade 8 then?
Some schools end primary at year 6, and move up for year 7.

Mine is 12 yrs old (13 in May), and is now in year 8, her 2nd year in secondary school.

Old Feb 20th 2009, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Mine is 12 yrs old (13 in May), and is now in year 8, her 2nd year in secondary school.
Thanks for that information. So I suppose it all depends on what school and which area we choose?
Old Feb 20th 2009, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

movingaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

We are hoping to come to the Bayside area. Can you tell me which secondary schools start in year 7 and which in year 8.

I have 3 children in years 8, 6 and 4 here so would like to find a primary where they continue until into year 7 - hope this will help with settling in.

Thanks
Old Feb 20th 2009, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

I thought the difference was state based but obviously not.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

SJFothe is a jewel in the roughSJFothe is a jewel in the roughSJFothe is a jewel in the roughSJFothe is a jewel in the rough

I teach in WA, after this year all Y7's in private school will be in the senior school so the primary will finish in y6 but in Govt schools Y7's will stay in Primary. I'm currently teaching y4's who are turning 9 years of age
Old Feb 21st 2009, 1:01 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by movingaway
We are hoping to come to the Bayside area. Can you tell me which secondary schools start in year 7 and which in year 8.

I have 3 children in years 8, 6 and 4 here so would like to find a primary where they continue until into year 7 - hope this will help with settling in.

Thanks
State run schools in QLD still run primary until year 7, although a change was discussed, and costed, in 2006, to move year 7 to secondary schools.
I am not sure what the current plans are for a change, but it would make sense to standardise the States on this.

It is currently mainly some of the private schools that start secondary in year 7.

Faith Lutheran is one local one that ends primary in year 6.

Sheldon College is even more different, with:
Junior being year 1 to 4
Middle year 5 to 8
Senior year 9 to 12

Starting Secondary School
State regulations currently mean that State run Secondary school starting years are as follows:

Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia start Secondary school in Year 8

ACT, New South Wales, Tasmania and Victoria all start Secondary school in year 7

Some private schools may operate differently to the above, especially where they have Junior, Middle and Senior schools.

Old Feb 21st 2009, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

My children will be going to a govt.school on the Sunshine Coast shortly and they have what they call "middle school" which is grade 7,8,9.My understanding is that they would be aged around 12,13,14!Middle school is a fairly new concept but is around in UK and South Africa already at some schools.It is thought of as a softer intro to High School I believe.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 2:48 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by shirlw
My children will be going to a govt.school on the Sunshine Coast shortly and they have what they call "middle school" which is grade 7,8,9.My understanding is that they would be aged around 12,13,14!Middle school is a fairly new concept but is around in UK and South Africa already at some schools.It is thought of as a softer intro to High School I believe.
That sounds about right.

Looking at my daughters class, Year 8 has some kids just turned 13, before starting the year, and with most turning 13 around the middle of the year.

It is interesting to see a Government school doing the middle school in QLD.

Middle Schooling PDF page

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

Thanks for that ABC.....this confirms my assumptions