Reload this Page >

School fees in QLD

School fees in QLD

Old Jul 20th 2006, 5:43 pm
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road
Smile School fees in QLD

Hi
Sorry if this post is in the wrong place.
Can anyone tell me if you have to pay fees for state primary and secondary education if you hold a working visa (457) in Queensland?
Also, is getting a place in a school as hard as it is made out to be? I'm begining to panic!
Thanks
Caroline
Old Jul 21st 2006, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

p63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura about
Cool Re: School fees in QLD

Originally Posted by Caroline B
Hi
Sorry if this post is in the wrong place.
Can anyone tell me if you have to pay fees for state primary and secondary education if you hold a working visa (457) in Queensland?
Also, is getting a place in a school as hard as it is made out to be? I'm begining to panic!
Thanks
Caroline
Hi Caroline

Don't panic!

We enrolled 2 of our children in state primary school in Cleveland with no problems!
The forms never asked what type of visa we have so do not worry about that either.
The only costs we had to pay were for uniform and books etc...
If you know the area you want to move to search on the Queensland education website and email them for guidance. (http://education.qld.gov.au)
We emailed the head at the school 4 weeks before we travelled and received a reply within about 3 days confirming they had space for our kids.

HTH

MichaelB
Old Jul 21st 2006, 1:46 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future
Default Re: School fees in QLD

Originally Posted by p63500sv8
The forms never asked what type of visa we have so do not worry about that either.
As far as I know non PR DO pay for schooling at State schools so beware!

We're paying roughly $12k per year for our two who are teenagers. The EQI website has all the prices.

To be honest the schools LOVE International students because of how much they pay so I wouldn't worry about a place! ...

http://education.qld.gov.au/marketin...oursefees.html

Last edited by Paul&Nic; Jul 21st 2006 at 1:51 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 4:56 pm
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road

Thanks for responses - Have had one from QLD education

"If you are entering Australia on a 457 visa (business visa) there will
be no fees for your children at school. You will need to go to the
school in the area that you decide to settle and take the passports with
you and any other relevant paper work from their previous school. The
school will probably ring us for confirmation of the sub-class of visa"
So I think I'm O.K.?
Old Jul 21st 2006, 10:59 pm
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by p63500sv8
Hi Caroline

Don't panic!

We enrolled 2 of our children in state primary school in Cleveland with no problems!
The only costs we had to pay were for uniform and books etc...
If you know the area you want to move to search on the Queensland education website and email them for guidance. (http://education.qld.gov.au)
We emailed the head at the school 4 weeks before we travelled and received a reply within about 3 days confirming they had space for our kids.

HTH

MichaelB

Yeah ours goes to Cleveland State school too and yep no fees. But they do often ask you for contribution towards other things say for instance. Ours plays clarinet (her own) and we have had to pay $60 levy fee for the lessons and music sheets etc... band camp was $55, and she is going to Camp Garabine in Sept and thats $170, but overall I wouldn't moan cos she loves it. She is in YR5 and has a better time here than she did in the UK.
I don't think you will have a problem getting a place either we just phoned when we got here and had a look around and got all the forms sorted and got the uniform all on the same day

Good Luck
Ang
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 12:02 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Caroline B
"If you are entering Australia on a 457 visa (business visa) there will be no fees for your children at school.
Ahhhh, then it's just us poor students who have to pay for their kids schooling! ...

Oh well.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:12 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are going to pay anyway is it worth trying private if you are in for the long haul.

Under year 6 about $3,000 to $5,000 a year and after that about $7,000 to $10,000 a year.