Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

school catchments - Gold Coast???

school catchments - Gold Coast???

Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: school catchments - Gold Coast???

Originally Posted by curly
Hi Sammy, think Somerset is a private one? not positive though
Somerset is private.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
Also have a friend with kids at Varsity, they were very fussy about her having a rental agreement to get into the school, in fact the middle school were worse than the high! her eldest started before the youngest because of this.
Varsity is the most likely if we move down that end...any good recomendations?? Whats Mudgeeraba school like? Not heard anything about it?

Thanks Sam
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammyg
Varsity is the most likely if we move down that end...any good recomendations?? Whats Mudgeeraba school like? Not heard anything about it?

Thanks Sam
There's two small primarys, nothing more. Varsity or Robina are the closest for High. In my opinion all the primary schools on the coast are excellent. Not heard of a bad one yet.

http://www.mudgeerass.eq.edu.au/
http://mudgcreess.eq.edu.au/wcmss/
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
There's two small primarys, nothing more. Varsity or Robina are the closest for High. In my opinion all the primary schools on the coast are excellent. Not heard of a bad one yet.

Thanks for that moneypen

There are so many ways to work it...daughter could go to the last year of primary (yr7) and then on to middle/secondary.. or start yr 7 at Varsity/other secondary!!

It may be a good way to get to know the local kids by going to the local primary for a year...but on the other hand, it could be simpler to start at the secondary she will remain at.....aaarrrggghhhh!!! decisions, decisions!
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that moneypen

There are so many ways to work it...daughter could go to the last year of primary (yr7) and then on to middle/secondary.. or start yr 7 at Varsity/other secondary!!

It may be a good way to get to know the local kids by going to the local primary for a year...but on the other hand, it could be simpler to start at the secondary she will remain at.....aaarrrggghhhh!!! decisions, decisions!
It's hard one eh? Especially if you have never been to check them out. I have a few schools that are on my short list to take a look at but I won't make the final decision until we have take a look.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

Thanks for the replies

well, the schools in question are Varsity College/Somerset College...are they fussed on catchment do you know?... (daughter is 11, so will be middle school?)

Anyone got kids at these schools?

Thanks again
Sam
Yes, I have two kids in Varsity (9 and 10) and they are very fussy about catchment areas. We had to have a full rental contract, visa documents, passports, birth certificates and past reports before we got an interview with the head. However, once in, you can move anywhere out of the catchment area. I cannot speak too highly of the school. I think it is excellent and nothing has been too much trouble. Both the kids had buddies for the first few days and nothing has been too much trouble as far as the staff are concerned. My eldest never really enjoyed school in the Uk and has come on leaps and bounds over here, for whatever reason, they're happy, we're happy. It's all good.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
It's hard one eh? Especially if you have never been to check them out. I have a few schools that are on my short list to take a look at but I won't make the final decision until we have take a look.
Exactly, we are still in the UK but we are trying to narrow down a selection of areas! We know the places that are no -goes, due to cost/family friendly (percentage of families/couples)/work availability etc

A lot of places we wont be able to decide on until we get there, but we have a little wish list from a property/area and are trying to do a bit of research from here so we're not on a mission for months on end trying to find the right place!

We were arriving in Jan, but it looks like we might have to move it back a bit now
We will be staying in augustine heights for the first few weeks, so should be a good base to explore the Gold Coast ...nervous, but excited!!!

sam

Last edited by sammyg; Dec 29th 2007 at 12:50 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mooncat
Yes, I have two kids in Varsity (9 and 10) and they are very fussy about catchment areas. We had to have a full rental contract, visa documents, passports, birth certificates and past reports before we got an interview with the head. However, once in, you can move anywhere out of the catchment area. I cannot speak too highly of the school. I think it is excellent and nothing has been too much trouble. Both the kids had buddies for the first few days and nothing has been too much trouble as far as the staff are concerned. My eldest never really enjoyed school in the Uk and has come on leaps and bounds over here, for whatever reason, they're happy, we're happy. It's all good.
mmmm, that's good to know

We are looking at somewhere slighlty out of varsity catchment to buy (a bit more land and greenery)however, we can rent a property in the the catchment area first (varsity lakes) and then buy, out of catchment.

I haven't heard a bad word said about Varsity school, and the surrounding areas look amazing, with properties with everything we want!

Thanks, Sam
Old Dec 29th 2007, 5:39 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

mmmm, that's good to know

We are looking at somewhere slighlty out of varsity catchment to buy (a bit more land and greenery)however, we can rent a property in the the catchment area first (varsity lakes) and then buy, out of catchment.

I haven't heard a bad word said about Varsity school, and the surrounding areas look amazing, with properties with everything we want!

Thanks, Sam
thats just what we did
lived in varsity cathment area for 8 months ( 6 month minimum to stay at the school ) and moved out to acreage at worongary which is only about 8k out of robina but a completely different world

http://varsitycollege.eq.edu.au/wcms...o_i_enrol.html

regards steve

ps we also would highly recommend varsity college
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:06 pm
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
Yes my son will be going to High School and I have thought about Merrimac. When you say close, how long would it take to drive there? Would we be in the catchment area?

Mandy

From Broadbeach its only a few minutes walk - its quite a big school (1300 plus) but we have found it very good for our daughter. http://merrimacshs.eq.edu.au/wcmss/. When we first moved to the GC we looked at Merrimac and one other high school but the interview (actually asked questions and wanted to see previous reports), school ethos and just seeing other pupils steered us toward Merrimac as the other school just wanted to know when we wanted her to start.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

peanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypen20

God I have seen some bull written on this website over the years but that statement from Moneypenny takes the biscuit. Schooling over here is not as good as the UK and my kids go private.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 8:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by peanut21
God I have seen some bull written on this website over the years but that statement from Moneypenny takes the biscuit. Schooling over here is not as good as the UK and my kids go private.
Would you like to expand on this? Tell me of the bad primary schools because as I said I've not heard of any. Who mentioned the UK? For what it's worth it totally depends on what you experienced in the UK as regards schooling and comparing it to what you're experiencing now. My girls had great education in the UK and the schools they are in now are totally on a par with those.

I still don't understand your statement though. It would be useful for those still in the UK to hear your take on the subject.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by peanut21
A bit of a sweeping statement there!!!

There are those of us who want our children's happiness to be at the forefront of their education (a happy child will be a intuitive, independent learner).

The UK education system is in no means better than education in Aus, it's just different.

In Australia there is a big emphasis on creating 'rounded', confident children/young adults, whereas in the UK the system is more concerned about league tables - numeracy, literacy, numeracy, literacy.......don't get me wrong, of course they are important, just not the be all and end all of a childs life. In the UK we often see children who are lacking this confidence which results in them switching off.

The UK system is SLOWLY realising this and starting to do something about it and guess who they've been observing and researching.... the Australians!!

I'm sure there are schools in Qld that you wouldn't want your child to attend, but hey ho...there are a fair share in the UK too!

I'm looking forward to an education system that puts pride in holistic development for children and i'm looking forward to working in it too!
Old Dec 31st 2007, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steve`o
thats just what we did
lived in varsity cathment area for 8 months ( 6 month minimum to stay at the school ) and moved out to acreage at worongary which is only about 8k out of robina but a completely different world

http://varsitycollege.eq.edu.au/wcms...o_i_enrol.html

regards steve

ps we also would highly recommend varsity college
It's seems a smart decision then, do you think?

Sam
Old Dec 31st 2007, 12:58 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

It's seems a smart decision then, do you think?

Sam
most definitely

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.