British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   school catchments - Gold Coast??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/school-catchments-gold-coast-502104/)

sammyg Dec 28th 2007 8:29 pm

school catchments - Gold Coast???

Does anyone know or has anyone...lived in a rental, put kids into local catchment school and then moved/bought out of catchment??

Do kids have the right to stay in that school? that tends to be the rule of thumb in the uk:)

:confused:

thanks for any help in advance:)

Scrawni 2 Dec 28th 2007 8:39 pm

Re: school catchments - Gold Coast???

mmm, this is a bit of a predicament for us too. We have rented an apartment on broadbeach for a month so not sure how it would work out with getting our lad into school end of Jan.

Be interested watching this in this post.

curly Dec 28th 2007 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 5713418)
Does anyone know or has anyone...lived in a rental, put kids into local catchment school and then moved/bought out of catchment??

Do kids have the right to stay in that school? that tends to be the rule of thumb in the uk:)

Hi,
Yes so long as it's a 'long term rental' you can enrol kids in school. Just take along your rental agreement. When you move it's fine for the kids to stay :)

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2 (Post 5713440)
mmm, this is a bit of a predicament for us too. We have rented an apartment on broadbeach for a month so not sure how it would work out with getting our lad into school end of Jan.

Hi Mandy,
We were down at Burleigh when we enrolled kids at school up the northern end of the GC. BUT we had to have proof of rental agreement, even before our youngest could get appointment to see about the school!

curly Dec 28th 2007 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by curly (Post 5713729)
Hi,
Yes so long as it's a 'long term rental' you can enrol kids in school. Just take along your rental agreement. When you move it's fine for the kids to stay :)

Hmnnnn dunno where my bit was quoting you Mandy :blink:

Right, was saying...We were down at Burleigh for a month first, we enrolled kids at the northern end of the GC whilst there, BUT we had to show proof of a rental agreement, even before we could get appointment to see the school!

Scrawni 2 Dec 28th 2007 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by curly (Post 5713729)
Hi,

Hello matey!

So does that mean because we have rented for a month on Broadbeach (there wasn't many places left at short notice) we will have problems?

Gawd that means we had better find a long term rental before school begins, even though we are in our short term rental until the 11th Feb :unsure:

curly Dec 28th 2007 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2 (Post 5713757)
Hello matey!

So does that mean because we have rented for a month on Broadbeach (there wasn't many places left at short notice) we will have problems?

Gawd that means we had better find a long term rental before school begins, even though we are in our short term rental until the 11th Feb :unsure:

Hiya :)

Well we were in holiday rental first too for a month, but we could only get appointment when we had secured a long term rental, in the catchment area.
Sorry to say mandy, but think you may have to start looking for a rental right off :ohmy: Any ideas where you want to be yet? or which school?

Scrawni 2 Dec 28th 2007 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by curly (Post 5713785)
Hiya :)

Well we were in holiday rental first too for a month, but we could only get appointment when we had secured a long term rental, in the catchment area.
Sorry to say mandy, but think you may have to start looking for a rental right off :ohmy: Any ideas where you want to be yet? or which school?

No, not really as I wanted to visit schools myself first to get a 'feel' of the place. It will probably be north GC though because of work. We have got the cat to think about as well.

How long did your furniture take to turn up?

Carbery Dec 28th 2007 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2 (Post 5713440)

Is your lad going to High School? Merrimac High is close to Broadbeach - right behind Pac Fair. My 16 year old daughter has been there 18 months and loves it plus my 12 year old boy starts there 29th Jan.

Scrawni 2 Dec 29th 2007 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Carbery (Post 5713989)
Is your lad going to High School? Merrimac High is close to Broadbeach - right behind Pac Fair. My 16 year old daughter has been there 18 months and loves it plus my 12 year old boy starts there 29th Jan.

Yes my son will be going to High School and I have thought about Merrimac. When you say close, how long would it take to drive there? Would we be in the catchment area?

Mandy

moneypenny20 Dec 29th 2007 8:12 am

Lots of schools don't have catchment areas. My daughters high school has kids coming from NSW and lots of areas of GC. The other high school in the area does have a catchment area. May not be a problem for you.

Scrawni 2 Dec 29th 2007 9:57 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 5715039)
Lots of schools don't have catchment areas. My daughters high school has kids coming from NSW and lots of areas of GC. The other high school in the area does have a catchment area. May not be a problem for you.

Thanks for that. I have contacted a couple of school but only one was interested in taking it further until we get there (but it was a fee paying school so say no more).

shiels Dec 29th 2007 10:27 am

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 5713418)

Not all schools have catchment areas. :) C x

sammyg Dec 29th 2007 11:29 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 5715039)

Originally Posted by shiels (Post 5715375)
Not all schools have catchment areas. :) C x

Thanks for the replies:thumbup:

well, the schools in question are Varsity College/Somerset College...are they fussed on catchment do you know?... (daughter is 11, so will be middle school?)

Anyone got kids at these schools?

Thanks again
Sam

curly Dec 29th 2007 11:51 am

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 5715522)
Thanks for the replies:thumbup:

well, the schools in question are Varsity College/Somerset College...are they fussed on catchment do you know?... (daughter is 11, so will be middle school?)

Anyone got kids at these schools?

Thanks again
Sam

Hi Sammy, think Somerset is a private one? not positive though :)

curly Dec 29th 2007 11:53 am

Originally Posted by curly (Post 5715597)
Hi Sammy, think Somerset is a private one? not positive though :)

Also have a friend with kids at Varsity, they were very fussy about her having a rental agreement to get into the school, in fact the middle school were worse than the high! her eldest started before the youngest because of this.