Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

School age question - QLD

School age question - QLD

Old Mar 15th 2010, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute
Default School age question - QLD

Ok, so it's a little way off yet but I was wondering how old will my son be when he starts school in QLD.

He was born 2/7/08 and from what I can gather it goes from 1 July to 30 June, and they go to school the following January.

But how old will he be when he starts in the following Jan, 4.5? 5.5? or 6.5?

I've tried asking people but I get different answers.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 6:36 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: School age question - QLD

They have to be 5 by the end of June I believe.

When my daughter turned 5 in December (in 2008) she started Prep in January.

So... assuming the your son was born on July 2 (as your date implies) then your son would just miss the cut off and would start the following January which would make him about 5 and a half when he starts prep.

If your date meant February 7th then he'd start school in January just prior to his 5th birthday.

You can use the calculator on the Queensland Education site to check:
http://education.qld.gov.au/strategi...hood/prep.html

I tried July 2, 2008 and it says your son starts prep in 2014, then year 1 the next year.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
They have to be 5 by the end of June I believe.

When my daughter turned 5 in December (in 2008) she started Prep in January.

So... assuming the your son was born on July 2 (as your date implies) then your son would just miss the cut off and would start the following January which would make him about 5 and a half when he starts prep.

If your date meant February 7th then he'd start school in January just prior to his 5th birthday.

You can use this calculator to check:
http://education.qld.gov.au/strategi...hood/prep.html
Thanks Comet! I didn't think about Canadian/American date format, I meant 2 July.

So he starts Prep at 5 and half? Is Prep everyday like school? And if he starts Prep at 5 and a half that means he won't start Year 1 till he's 6 and a half, now to me that seems really really late.

I replied before I went on the website you provided! All answered. Thanks again Comet, that's a useful site.

Last edited by LouiseR; Mar 15th 2010 at 6:44 am.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
Thanks Comet! I didn't think about Canadian/American date format, I meant 2 July.

So he starts Prep at 5 and half? Is Prep everyday like school? And if he starts Prep at 5 and a half that means he won't start Year 1 till he's 6 and a half, now to me that seems really really late.

I replied before I went on the website you provided! All answered. Thanks again Comet, that's a useful site.
He will start full time school at 5 and a half - year 1 is universally the first year of compulsory school but each state has a year which is full time prior to year 1 just called different things eg prep, kindergarten etc
Old Mar 15th 2010, 8:26 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by quoll
He will start full time school at 5 and a half - year 1 is universally the first year of compulsory school but each state has a year which is full time prior to year 1 just called different things eg prep, kindergarten etc
In Queensland, the 'Prep' year is not compulsory, although about 97% do attend.
In [most?] other states it is compulsory.

State schools tend to stick by the date rules, but private schools do have some le-way, and may accept younger children if they are advanced enough.

Old Mar 15th 2010, 8:32 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Prep is full time five days a week.

You can choose to enrol your child at a kindy (ages 4-5), which he could do the year before he's due to start prep. My daughter did hers at a C&K nearby and it was fantastic. You do have to pay for it though, which was roughly $20 a day and went from about 9-2:00. It only ran for 2-3 days a week though.

http://www.candk.asn.au/

If it's something you're interested in I'd get your name on a waiting list ASAP!
Old Mar 15th 2010, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In Queensland, the 'Prep' year is not compulsory, although about 97% do attend.
In [most?] other states it is compulsory.

State schools tend to stick by the date rules, but private schools do have some le-way, and may accept younger children if they are advanced enough.
I think all the states now have a compulsory education beginning at age 6 so the year before year 1 is technically not compulsory anywhere although most parents do choose to access it.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all the advice guys. Just trying to get my head round the schooling system as I'm sure the time will fly before he starts school

5 and half doesn't sound too bad to be in full time education, I guess I'm just used to the UK system of starting at 4.

Will look at Kindy too, thanks Comet and I've heard excellent things about CandK so will definately try and get on the waiting list
Old Mar 15th 2010, 10:58 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Thanks for all the advice guys. Just trying to get my head round the schooling system as I'm sure the time will fly before he starts school

5 and half doesn't sound too bad to be in full time education, I guess I'm just used to the UK system of starting at 4.

Will look at Kindy too, thanks Comet and I've heard excellent things about CandK so will definately try and get on the waiting list
Definitely do it asap as some centres are booked up for years ahead of time, others don't so it depends.

The one my daughter went to it was only $10 to go on the waiting list, so well worth it to have that option. I think it was excellent start to her schooling.